Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

increasing head circumference in infant

I took my 5 month old to the hospital a few days ago for a bulging soft spot and fever. They did a spinal tap to rule out menengitis and a head CT to rule out encephalitis. But his head has gone from the 25 percentile to the 75 in a matter of a month and a half. They said he didn't have encephalitis but I am still concerned. His head shouldn't be growing that fast.  What other things could be causing this????
6 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Hope it doesnt turn out too be anything bad thats wrong I still think that you should ring them for an explanation though. Where children are concerned they should appreciate how worrying it is for parents. Good Luck please let me know how you get on XX Chris
Helpful - 0
thanks for your advice. He does have an appointment coming up here in a few weeks. She knows about the increasing head size so hopefully she can fill me in. But  I guess it isn't too concerning if she hasn't called us in to be seen. I will definetly let you all know! Thanks
Helpful - 0
I would agree with kalio if thats all they said to you then you really do need to go and see a paedetrician . Please come back and let us know how your litle one is . Good Luck Chris
Helpful - 0
They just told me to keep an eye on it. It just really worries me.
Helpful - 0
I'd get him to a pediatric neurologist right away. If you can't find a pediatric neurologist then get him to a general neurologist. You are right, that is not growth, it's some kind of swelling. I'd go right away.

Best of luck to you.
Helpful - 0
Hi sorry I can't help you out with this problem with your baby . Did the Drs not tell you anything else which could cause this change? I think its pretty appalling if they didn't offer you any explanation at all. Chris
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Undiagnosed Symptoms Community

Top General Health Answerers
363281 tn?1643235611
Nelson, New Zealand
1756321 tn?1547095325
Queensland, Australia
19694731 tn?1482849837
AL
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Discharge often isn't normal, and could mean an infection or an STD.
In this unique and fascinating report from Missouri Medicine, world-renowned expert Dr. Raymond Moody examines what really happens when we almost die.
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
When it comes to your health, timing is everything
We’ve got a crash course on metabolism basics.
Learn what you can do to avoid ski injury and other common winter sports injury.