Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Wide pulse pressure, chest pain and other symptoms

I'm 20 and have been relatively healthy most of my life, save for having fairly high blood pressure since I was 14. I don't remember what the numbers were back then but for the past two years the systolic has averaged around 130-140 with the diastolic between 60 and 70. Awhile ago a pharmacist relative told me that the difference between the numbers--the pulse pressure--was too large. I forgot about it then but in the past two months I have noticed increased discomfort of the chest that sometimes radiates down my left arm and into my back behind the shoulder blade. I've had chest pain before but it was sporadic and I easily forgot about it. But it seems to be worse now.

Now that I've become concerned, I've done some research and found that high pulse pressure can be a symptom of an aortic valve leak and hypertrophy of the left ventricle. I realized I had other symptoms then too, such as slight, uncontrollable nodding of the head, a visible pulse in the fingernails, and dilation and constriction of the pupils in time with my hearbeat. I've realized too that my whole body shakes slightly but visibly with every beat--I can see my shirt shake in time with it!

I know I need to see a doctor and I will, but in the meantime not knowing what to make of anything is bothersome. I'd like to know if it's possible to have symptoms without the problem, or perhaps how likely it is that I have a condition? Perhaps even what is the outlook if I do? I just don't know enough, so I'd like to hear what you have to say.
3 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
My head has been hurting for a week now.  When I went to check my High blook pressure at wall-mart it said 163/101.  I came hope took my pressure meds and it droped to 150/88.  I have also been having a tingling sensation in my right hand and arm,  one day last week I notice that I felt as if I was leaning to one side, which cause me to stumble, but that went away, now I just feel a little off balance at times. I take my blood pressure meds 2X's a day and just before I take them I have a bad headache, when I take the meds the headache lightens up a bit.  I don't like running to the emergency room with every little thing.  But I'm a little concerned about the symtoms especially the headache's and feeling off balanced.  Should I be concerned?
Helpful - 0
You need to have your health issue checked out.  Your BP/Pp is too high for your age.
Aortic valve leak is checked by echocardiography . You seem to have the symptoms.
I have MVP - Mitro Valve Prolaps.  I do have to take antibiotics an hour before dental work and teeth cleaning but so far that is it.

Pulse pressure also could be hyperthyroidism.
I am also Hyper/Graves'. Before, with my untreated Hyper/Graves' my pulse was 140/70 which makes for a high Pp of 70 - since treatment it has gone down between 49 to 50+, not a 100% but at least better. Pp should be 40.
Have thyroid panel done TSH, Ft-4 and FT-3 and if warranted, antibodies.

Testing for these two condition is a good start.

Good Luck!
Helpful - 0
it is unusual to get high bp so young! so it does need looking into  however the figures are perfect now but you should really go to the doc, as worry about symtoms can make you feel  worse and worsen syptoms .x x
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Undiagnosed Symptoms Community

Top General Health Answerers
363281 tn?1643235611
Nelson, New Zealand
1756321 tn?1547095325
Queensland, Australia
19694731 tn?1482849837
AL
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Discharge often isn't normal, and could mean an infection or an STD.
In this unique and fascinating report from Missouri Medicine, world-renowned expert Dr. Raymond Moody examines what really happens when we almost die.
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
When it comes to your health, timing is everything
We’ve got a crash course on metabolism basics.
Learn what you can do to avoid ski injury and other common winter sports injury.