Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Extreme right side pain under my rib cage

I had Pancreatits due to a bad Gall Bladder a year ago.  Since then I have been pretty healthy until recently.  About 8 weeks ago I started getting these severe pains in my right side under my rib cage.  When I take a deep breath it is like someone is stabbing me.  I have no fever and this pain is re-occuring.  Some days I am fine, others I can't move.  I have been to the emergency room twice.  The first time they told me my liver enzymes were real high but there was no sign of pancreatits and they sent me home with pain killers.  The second time they did and ultra sound, found nothing, and again sent me home on pain killers.  Has this happened to anyone?  I am scared but tired of going to the ER to be told to go home and rest.
211 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Hi am a 33 male just having the same symptoms,  and its been killing for more than 5 days and it got worse today, did find out what was it? If is better email to rene_jc***@****. .please send me some feedback.
Helpful - 1
This sounds good, however how would one do this who is a type 1 diabetic also, which complicates it.
Helpful - 0
did it work for u or do u still having the same problems
Helpful - 0
do u still have the pain?
Helpful - 0
11430692 tn?1440175465
Did you ever figure this out? I have the same and it hurts so bad and Drs can't find anything yet.  
Helpful - 0
I had the same surgery about 15 years ago. I was one of the first to have the operation as it was fairly new back then for chronic reflux. I now get this terrible pain right side up high. Think too it could be adhesions from the surgery.
Helpful - 0
I have had gall bladder removed 10 years back. Nearly every month when I get period I have severe pain under my right ribs. The only time I was checked by a doctor he suspected that it could be hepatitis, I did check up and found my liver ok. Later on through my investigation I came to find out that my problem is related to hormones and it could be endometriosis since it is always accompanies menstruation, also I was once diagnosed with endo but that was located at the lower abdomen. Since then I started using ibuprofen that helps me a lot, but in the last six month I didn't get period also no pain at all.
Helpful - 0
Hi I'm a 44  year old women and have for the last few years have had on and of pain in the right side of my Rib ! It feels like my ribs are going to bend and break through  my skin!!!! It is that painful that I have to hold my ribs so tight until the ribs go back in place. I have had X-ray s done to find out what is going on , but the result came back showing that nothing is wrong !!! I don't know what is going on ! But if someone out there knows or is experiencing the same thing please let me know.
Helpful - 0
I am 31 years old white male with stage 3 cancer and I am currently doing ICE chemotherapy and I just got this pain about 3 days ago really bad on my right side just under my rib cage and it hurts to move to the left and right and also to get up or lay down,I have taken methadone and xanax 1mg 3 times a day and notthing seems to help the pain only seems to get worse even as I write this,
what should I do or does anyone know what it is?
Is it from the chemotherapy maybe?
Please please respond to me as soon as you can.
Thank you for your time,
Scott Edgar
***@****
Helpful - 0
So yesterday I was working out and I was running in the treadmill then around 450am rite under my breasts started hurting rite around too my back and it's been almost 4hours and it's still there but just in my rite side now
Helpful - 0
Anybody have any idea what could be causing very sharp pain on my right side that comes and goes through the day and unknown bruseing on legs and body and joint pain also  the sharp pain goes around the side and into the lower back. Also been getting a lot of infections can someone please give me any ideas please
Helpful - 0
You described exactly my pain ! I have the same symptoms as you have. I have this pain for 4 years.The doctor told me is the a muscle pain but I am getting worried . I also did the CT scan and ultrasound and everything is ok.I do not have a dog that pulls but I help an old men to get up from the chair. It is the same for me too, very difficult to drive and seat on the coucht when I am watching tv.
Helpful - 0
forgot to say that i also have fatty liver and my liver has been raised  i feeel bloated most of the time i look like i am 9 months pregnant not so much pain as a discomfort can any one relate to these symptoms please really worring
Helpful - 0
i have a discomfort feeling around my right side and under my rib cage comes and goes have had this for a while now going to the toilet to clean my back end is the worst thing ever so sore to twist round
Helpful - 0
i have a discomfort feeling around my right side and under my rib cage comes and goes have had this for a while now going to the toilet to clean my back end is the worst thing ever so sore to twist round
Helpful - 0
Hi, do you have a dog that pulls? Not a strange question, although it might seem. I read somewhere that an over-strained muscle in that area, can cause similar pain. I've had this pain for about 7 years, and can't imagine having it for 15.

I am trying to cover every possibility so am checking to see if this might resound with you?

Thank you.
Helpful - 0
I have pain under my right rib that is constant, it's with me all the time, and have had it for nearly 7 years. Over the years, it has come and gone, sometimes lasting for months, then disappears for months. Lately I've had it for several months, and I'm also having some digestion problems too.

When I lay down to sleep, it subsides, because I'm not putting any pressure on that area. I can feel it when I turn to sleep on my sides. When I sit on the sofa, the pain is the strongest, but again, not severe or crushing pain, it's subtle. It feels like something is pushing into the bottom of my right rib cage, never on the left side. It feels like something under my rib cage is swollen and pressing into the rib. I sometimes feel short of breath from it but perhaps it's an anxiety reaction to the pain.

Sitting seems to apply pressure to the area, because when I stand up or stretch my abdomen out, so I'm not bent over, the pain lessens. And again, the pain is subtle but constant.

My doctor looks at me like I'm imagining the pain. Well not really but that's how it feels.

I have a dog. He pulls a lot. I use my right hand to hold onto his leash. I am wondering if you or any of the others on here also have a dog that pulls,  I read somewhere that a pulled or over-strained muscle in that area can give similar pain.

I really hope one of us can figure this out because the level of discomfort makes it difficult to stay seated.

Again, no other symptoms except for the ones I have described above. And recently I am having digestion problems and it's unknown if the two are related, but in the seven years I've had this, no digestive problems, so I am assuming that they are not related.

I too have had CT, 2 ultrasounds, and nothing was found.  
Helpful - 0
I will make a suggestion  that has been posted a few times in this long thread, and that is the pain, sometimes called "post gallbladder syndrome" seems to effect, if you have read the posts, people with and without gallbladders, and that is, for the vast majority, this is an anxiety problem, even if they can't see it.  Their posts reflect anxiety.

READ CAREFULLY: it does not mean the pain is not real.  Your muscles react to stress in the form of "fight or flight" and tighten and cause pain.  I'm sure as a vet you know about "fight or flight", and the physical changes in a body and MIND.  

I had this.  Nobody knew what it was.  Finally I did find out and closely examined how I was living.  I had been having faulty reactions to stress y entire life, with various strange symptoms since childhood.

Mine too disappeared.  When?  When I was totally occupied with another situation that took me outside the hyper attention I was paying to my bodily symptoms. When did yours disappear?   When you were totally committed to your other soldiers in Iraq?  When you were involved with work? Family? Pay attention to when it returns.  Is it after a stressful event?  

Anxiety produces real physical symptoms.  It does not mean a person is "crazy", but a victim on normal everyday -- and in your case, not so everyday-- stresses.  Take a look at Anxietycentre *******.  Look at the list of physical symptoms.  You will find yours pretty much described.

Good luck, and thank you.
Helpful - 0
I have had this pain since 2004. I had my gall bladder removed prior to going to Iraq. The pain was gone for about 6 months, then it returned. I don't have it all the time, just periodically,(only when I am sitting). When the pain hits, I can stretch backward and press on the point where the pain is, (just under the center of the my right rib cage) and it feels bruised. I have had MRIs, Ultrasounds, Blood work, X Rays, and just about every other test that you can imagine. My doctors are still working on the problem. Does anyone else have the bruising feeling when pressing on the location of the pain?
Helpful - 0
I feel that you should try to eat lots of leafy green veggies..salads of say lettuce spinach tomatoes,celery slivers of peppers,cucumber,radish, fine slivered carrott, purple cabbage,..use a non oil salad dressing, like lime juice onion  maple sugar or similar...no dairy..no grains..no meat... no sugar..buy a juicer make your self some..radish carrott juice about a pint 2x day 1/4 radish to 3/4 carrott.. try cucumber juice... if you feel the need to eat other than veggies..try a nice vegetable soup. eat this for at least 2 weeks to 3  months see if you fell better..you will be well on your way to getting well! I gaurantee it!
Helpful - 0
I was just on our computer almost midnight and I had an extreme pain attack at the base and just under my right rib cage.  I doubled over and started thinking about what I should do to stop this pain.  I could not straighten up it hurt that much!  I also could not talk for a few minutes, just moans, worrying my wife. It felt like someone had just stabbed my there and was twisting the knife and it burned like it was on fire.  I went to the fridge, grabbed a bottle of cold water, ran to the bedroom, grabbed my Prilosec & other stomach meds and took them quickly(only my correct dosage). The pain started to get less and about 20/30 minutes it had mostly gone. It really scared me.   I had a cervical epidural steroid injection earlier this same day about 9:30am for pain. I am treated for constant pain in my neck,  shoulders and lumbar spine at a local hospital pain clinic. I go every month because of the constant pain, to get examined and pick up my pain meds. I have had 15 ruptured disks in my spine so far and 4 of the lumbar disks are ruptured now.  I also had stomach, intestinal and colon problems. Oh, I also have a fatty liver from heavy drinking when I was younger. I very seldom drink and when I do it is in very small amounts about 5 or 6 times per year or less. I quit smoking over 11 years ago, lost @ 60 lbs and now my body wants to self distruct?  Go figure. My doctors do not seem interested in my fatty liver but it has been worrying me ever since I was diagnosed . I had my gall bladder removed in 3/2001 which was one of the 16 surgeries I have had. I am 66, 6', and 210 lbs on my way down to 190 lbs. I have had stomach ulcers(almost fatal  in 1986), peptic ulcer disease, IBS, diverticulosis, spastic esophagus, parts of my colon/intestines are twisted(per my last colonoscopy), have had polyps removed from my colon a few times. Colon/rectal cancer runs in my family. I am no stranger to pain but this episode tonight was one of the worst I have ever had. It was completely out of control and that scares me.  I am open to suggestions.............. Sorry about the length.    
Helpful - 0
Hi all, I just wanted to let you all know that I thought the worst and it wasn't going away. It hurt so bad at times I couldn't move. I had exact symptoms mist all of you are describing. All it was were two ribs that were out of place. Before going to the er in a panic, go see a chiropractor. He will feel your organs and see if they are tender before checking musculoskeletal. If it is your gallbladder or liver, chiro won't help and he will advise you to go for further veal with your regular dr. But if it isn't and is just a rib out, you need a chiro to fix it and tell u what to do for simple home care thereby avoiding costly and hazardous testing such as a ct scan which exposes you to radiation. You also won't have to go through the and worry of waiting for labs to come back. It's taken 2 adjustments and 2 massages for me, along with icing it to get all the inflammation out of the area so the joint capsules can re strengthen, and now I know I'm ok and I feel so much better! It was much easier to rule that out first. I suggest you look into it because there are nerve roots that are in the exact area that if a rob or ribs are even the slightest bit out, the nerve irritation will cause so many symptoms that radiate and refer pain to other areas and until you fix the problem, those sensitive nerves that come out of your spine will continue to be bothered in those areas. The sad part is, no internal medicine doctor will assess that or fix it for you and your left to chance and pay for no answers. Without getting the adjustment you will continue to suffer and pollute your body with pain pills and your body will stay in a state of stress affecting sleep concentration and other systems. I had to share because Im glad I got my answer and I feel so bad for anyone suffering these symptoms. It was even affecting my digestion with burping, gas, irregularity, bloating, etc. your nerves tell your body what to do so it all makes sense now....they are the life force. Good luck everyone!
Helpful - 0
  Hello again.  I was reading about reflux and found that some people don't make enough acid and it forces the liver, gallbladder (if you still have one) to put out acid too much too late.  So I have started taking Betaine Hydrochloric acid capsules with the first bite of my meals.  No reflux/GERD!  It is not relieving all my indigestion and heartburn, but it is helping a great deal.
     Don't take the Hydrochloric acid (Hcl) on an empty stomach!!  Hurts like the dickens!
Helpful - 0
I'm 16 and under my right rib I get a sharp pain. I went for a run today and it killed me when I was running even more so when I stopped. When I stopped I bent over and it felt like someone was stabbing me in my back and right under my right rib. Does anyone know what It is? I've been to doctor after doctor and they say all the test come back fine. I'm an athletic person so not being about to do sports is really bothering & when this pain started I was not playing any sports. Any ideas on how to help or even what this is?
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Undiagnosed Symptoms Community

Top General Health Answerers
363281 tn?1643235611
Nelson, New Zealand
1756321 tn?1547095325
Queensland, Australia
19694731 tn?1482849837
AL
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Discharge often isn't normal, and could mean an infection or an STD.
In this unique and fascinating report from Missouri Medicine, world-renowned expert Dr. Raymond Moody examines what really happens when we almost die.
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
When it comes to your health, timing is everything
We’ve got a crash course on metabolism basics.
Learn what you can do to avoid ski injury and other common winter sports injury.