Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Lactating (part II)

So it's been nearly two and a half weeks, and I'm still lactating.  A week ago, my prolactin level was at 134 (on a scale of 1.9-25.0) and my doctor said this may have indicated a tumor.  On retest, my prolactin level is now 38.8 on the same scale.  What is this telling me?  We've already ruled out medications, thyroid, or ovarian problems through other testing.  I'm freaking out because the Internet has such little information on this subject and what these tests could mean, and I can't talk to my doctor until Monday.  Any thoughts?
7 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Hi havent been here to reply but YES it is still high.  Normal levels are much lower so go for more workups.  let me know what happens.
Helpful - 0
Even at just 38.8?  I mean, I know that's still high, but too high?

I'm getting ready to lay down the law with him.  I'm tired of my clothes smelling like rotten milk all the time.
Helpful - 0
Hi If I were you I would not wait and be monitored, you have been waiting already.  If your pituary levels are high and are no way pregant please go to another doctor for an MRI of the brain and pituarty.  Get blood work done too.  If I were you I would start with an endocrinoligist who will do all sorts of blood work and send you for an MRI.  It drives me nuts when doctors say wait and see.  (been happening to me trying to have doctors help me with my problems no help yet though I know something is wrong, anyway..) go and get yourself checked your prolaction level is too high.
Helpful - 0
He's decided he just wants to keep monitoring my levels every week.  I'm not so sure this is the best course of action, as I'm still experiencing problems.  But at the same time, I have to decide some pretty major things in relation to this situation, so I guess the time to think might be worth it?
Helpful - 0
Have you ever gotten an MRI to rule out pitutary problems.  Start there or check thryroid too.
Helpful - 0
if you are lactating a sticky fluid or if the fluid is blood colored, then I would be worried.  Maybe your breasts are in denial from not breast feeding anymore.  It happens.  Plus, feel your armpits, if there are hard bumps in them, it could indicate a tumor in the breast.   I have breast cancer in my family on my dad's side.  Both his mother and his mother's sister had breast cancer.  I am in the second generation for it so I like to check my breasts everyonce in a while. you should start doing the same too.
Helpful - 0
Hi,
Wow.. this is so wierd. I read you first post a week or so ago, cause my doc had put me on meds for light depression. I started lactating the day after, so I stopped the pills as it could be a side effect. Anyhow it hasn't stopped. I am supposed to see my doctor in a weeks time, and she said if it wasn't gone by then we would run blood tests for prolactin.

I just wanted to let you know that I have been trying to do some reading on the tumour thing and eye trouble seems to go with it. Do you have any other symptoms then the high hormone levels in your blood work?

I have some pressure in my ear, so I am kind of nervous as well. So far I haven't found that as a symptom.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Undiagnosed Symptoms Community

Top General Health Answerers
363281 tn?1643235611
Nelson, New Zealand
1756321 tn?1547095325
Queensland, Australia
19694731 tn?1482849837
AL
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Discharge often isn't normal, and could mean an infection or an STD.
In this unique and fascinating report from Missouri Medicine, world-renowned expert Dr. Raymond Moody examines what really happens when we almost die.
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
When it comes to your health, timing is everything
We’ve got a crash course on metabolism basics.
Learn what you can do to avoid ski injury and other common winter sports injury.