Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Two hard knots appear on the back of head after being sick for 11 days

I have hypothyroidism, high blood pressure, asthma and very low potassium levels and I am 23. I do not heal well, I bruise and scar very easily. I'm going to outline my current difficulties:

Thanksgiving (Thursday): in the morning I start feeling a sore throat coming on, but felt no other problems
Friday:started to feel ill at work. had no appetite, upset stomach, a lot of pain in the throat, loss of voice
Saturday: slept most of the day, terribly sore throat with a lot of pain in the ear canal
Sunday: early morning I go to the ER and am told that i prob. have strep throat(strep test was not given)and said I would feel better in 2 days
Tuesday: feeling so much worse and go to family doctor, she tells me I have the flu (first case of the flu in my county! just my luck..)I was given Tamaflu, a syrup for nausea and oxycodine for pain
Wednesday: running high fevers and breaking into sweats (I'm weaking up with my clothes and hair soaking wet)
noted that lymph nodes in my neck are quite swollen and are rock hard
Heavily medicated WED-SAT, mood swings, crying spells, breaking into heavy sweats at least 4 times a day (from head to belly button...the rest of my body is ice cold)Experiencing vision problems,beginning to have headaches. It hurts to lift head
Friday: notice two nickel sized bumps on the back of skull near the tops of my ears. These bumps are rock hard and hurt when touched and cause pain when head is on pillow
Saturday: still having flu symptons and extreme sweats, knots still present and painful

What are these painful knots? When should I feel better?
8 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I 'M GOING THROUGH THE SAME THING NOW .I HAVE TO HARD KNOTS ON MY HEAD RIGHT NEXT TO MY EAR AND THEY HURT WHEN I LAY ON MY PILLOW BUT I WENT TO THE ER LAST NIGHT AND THEY TOLD ME I HAVE AN INFECTION IN MY BODY SOMEWHERE AND THATS WHY THE KNOTS ARE THERE WELL MY TEETH ARE REALLY BAD SO THATS WHERE THE INFECTION IS COMING FROM SO I SEEN THE DENTIST TODAY HE IS GOING TO GET STARTED ON MY TEETH NEXT WEEK I DON'T HAVE INSURANCE EITHER  I JUST PAY PAYMENTS SO DOCTORS WILL LET YOU SO DOES YOUR TEETH BOTHER YOU .I'M ON ANTIBOATICS(HOW EVER YOU SPELL THAT ) I'M ONLY 25
Helpful - 0
Is it a possiblity that drug interactions with Tamiflu have occurred with your monthly medications you take, just an idea you never know.  I also agree grealty about going to the doctor.  If I am not mistaken you menitoned college.  Please see if there is someone in the college offices that can help you get medical assistance for very little money each month.  You are a college kid making no money you just might be able to be subsidized,  I grealty agree with all the above posters.  I believe most states have some type of clinic or subsidizing for people in need of medical care and being in college you just might qualify.  Good luck and hope you feel much better.
Helpful - 0
The ER told you had strep, did no test, but didn't send you home no antibiotics?  That doesn't make sense.  You need to go back, and insist on a strep test.  If they truly marked on your chart that you had "strep", you would need an antibiotic to "feel better".  And whoever told you you had the flu?  Did they test you for flu, or just DX based on your symptoms?  There is a nasal swab that is a diagnostic tool for true flu.  But, unfortunately, by the time you got your Tamiflu, you had probably been sick too long for it to do any good.  I think you should go back to the original place you went, and demand that they recheck your chart. If what you said is accurate, you did not receive complete care, and they should not charge you again for the visit.  This has happened with my parents hospital.  They did an incomplete workup, and when we realized it, they did they things they were supposed to do free of charge.
Helpful - 0
Hi, I actually have experienced the same issue and the bumps are your lymph nodes.  if you continue to have problems, I would have them check for the Epstein Barr Virus.  Let us know!
Helpful - 0

After you recover from all of this, I would consider checking into homeopathy and/or acupuncture. Since you've said that you have chronic health problems, I think you are going to need extra support after you recover from this illness.

You said you bruise easily... have your physicians ordered a PT/INR test on your past labwork ? If not, then next time you see your physician, ask them about the test. And most importantly, call your State Senator and ask if you qualify for any programs at all. It is very important that you get health insurance... through your employer or the state.

Helpful - 0
I believe part of the lymphatic system extends to about that area.  See http://www.nhlcyberfamily.org/images/nodes.jpg

So those MAY be another part of the lymphatic system that has swollen in response to your infection.

It would be difficult to say what kind of infection you have.  Strep maybe...with the sweating and some of the other symptoms I wondered if mononucleosis, and with the vision problems and headaches I also wondered something like encephalitis, although frankly I'm just taking shots in the dark, I have no useful medical expertise.

I'd definately follow the previous poster's advice and try to locate a free clinic.  Also if you are employed full time your employer, by law, should be providing you with health insurance.

I'm sorry for your troubles.  Best of luck!
Helpful - 0

Hi missrandi,

I think you need to be seen by your physician and especially with your health history.

I wanted to ask you if you knew that both WalMart & Target are now offering prescription drugs for people without health insurance for only $ 4 per prescription ? You may want to find out if they are doing it in your area yet. That would save your parent's hundreds of dollars and also give them extra money to pay for your doctor's visit.

In addition, sometimes there are free clinics. I'm not sure where you live, but I would do some research. Sometimes these places aren't easy to find. Another suggestion is calling your State Senator. Your STATE Senator works with Social Security and knows about all of the programs available in the state that may be able to help you. I know my friend, who didn't have health insurance, found out that she qualified for a special program that nobody knew about. This was after her State Senator called her to get her vote to be re-elected.

Helpful - 0
I forgot that I am experiencing intense itching all over my body.

Also, my doctor is not aware of the knots that are on the back of my head. I will be notifying her Monday morning to see if I can go in for another visit.

I can't afford to go to the hospital again, I have been ill since birth and my parents have paid for hundreds of thousands of dollars in medical expenses. (We don't have medical insurance of any kind and I don't qualify for public assistance.) My parents still pay for my medication each month (which is about 300.00)and my doctors visits. I don't want to cost them any more money so I am really worried about not getting better. If I don't get back to work soon I will lose my job and my college finals are this coming week as well.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Undiagnosed Symptoms Community

Top General Health Answerers
363281 tn?1643235611
Nelson, New Zealand
1756321 tn?1547095325
Queensland, Australia
19694731 tn?1482849837
AL
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Discharge often isn't normal, and could mean an infection or an STD.
In this unique and fascinating report from Missouri Medicine, world-renowned expert Dr. Raymond Moody examines what really happens when we almost die.
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
When it comes to your health, timing is everything
We’ve got a crash course on metabolism basics.
Learn what you can do to avoid ski injury and other common winter sports injury.