Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Lump on left back side of neck, costochondritis, and numbness in arms

Okay, so in November around early 20's of it... I had taken a week of the gym as I always do every couple months. Near the end of that week I started getting pains in my chest...at the beginning towards underneath the left pec..then it moved to the center...went to the doctor he just told me I pulled muscles...again continued to get the pains for 1.5 weeks...went to different doctor this time and said I probably have costochondritis...2 days after that (went to the doctor on 7th dec) I noticed a small lump that can move slightly on the back of my neck left side...it is painless and doesnt bother me, however I can move it a little bit back and forth...atleast thats what it feels like anyways....I also have been since the weekend getting random numbness in my arms...from the tricep all the way to the fingers or wrist...I am going to go back to the doctor next week, I just worried about this right now though...I am only 16 years old, soon to be 17, in good shape...take proper supplements workout (although I havent been able to for a month now)...etc...I havent been eating as well lately but I dont think diet has much to do with this..as the costochondritis is unknown cause apparently...but I find the costochondritis is improving...maybe due to the fact ive been taking advil ultra 3 times a day to stop the inflamation pain occuring...id appreciate some help with this! Thanks!
8 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I've been back and forward to the doctor for the past two months due to my costochondritis, and they've given me everything from morphine (through an IV) to Vicodin which I had to stop due to an allergic reaction so they now have me on ¿valtaren? and advil but nothing seems to work. Wish I could I was having fewer chest pains, but I'm having them more often each time with worsening pain along with neck, shoulder and arm pain on the left side. I'm only 20yrs old am in great shape and usually have a great diet; lately nothing tastes right or doesn't have taste at all...I haven't slept through the night in almost 5wks. I dread going back to the doctor or even the emergency room 'cause all they do is hook up an iv take x-rays lots of blood and send me home with a.new prescription to hope it works. surgery has been mentioned to removed the "damaged" tissue but the chance of infection is even greater afterwards. I just wish I had some relief so...(heating and ice packs rarely hlp)
Helpful - 0
i am 26 years old, just want to ask  if this costochondritis or chest pain ( mostly leftside, ) can also trigger by depression and anxiety?
cause i start dealing with this last two years, when i got a depression for a couple of months and anxiety, i thought the chest pain cause by the heart due to depression, my e.c.g. is normal except having a a slight fast palpitaion during the anxiety, but my next ECG is normal although im having chest pain the pain is on and off, these last few days the pain is more painful from chest(left side) a sharp pain goes to the back and also affect my left arm to left hand, sometimes when resting, when im having exercise sometimes the pain stops and sometimes doesnt stop!
i had a test of 2d-echo doppler to find if there is a heart related, but they found nothing except a normal heart system, thats why they consider this a costochondritis,
Helpful - 0
I have almost exactly the same symptoms, I first got numbness, in my feet and arms, just at random interval, and then chest pains. I am overweight, but am only 23. The chest pains kind of scared me, understandably, but I took my resting heart rate, almost compulsively at different times through the day, and came up with an average of around 70 bpm, I don't know much about heart problems, but that doesn't seem to be significantly low or significantly high. I was, in fact, rather impressed given my physical shape. Then I noticed a lump on my back, just under the skin, not on the spinal cord, but to the ouside of it right about in the middle on the left side. It is painless and can be moved slightly. I was not working during the period most of this went on, and did some tasks like gardening and lawn mowing, but now that I am back to work and on my feet for 8 - 10 hours, I notice I get a numb spot on my back at about the 5 o'clock position to my left shoulderblade, which is slightly left of and about 3 inches above said lump. I have not been to the doctor yet about this problem because I am apparently stupid and crazy.
Helpful - 0
I have a bump on my upper, upper back close to my neck it is on the right of my back. It feels like something under it skin so I know it is not skin
Helpful - 0
I'm with you on this Kevin.  I also have been diagnosed with costochondritis and my tightness in my chest and pains in my chest are slowly going but the numbness in the whole of my left arm is a real concern.  It has been there for over a week now constantly!

What is going on?

any help much appreciated, ed S.Wales, UK.
Helpful - 0
bump
Helpful - 0
Thank you for your answer...how about the numbness ive been getting? Today ive been getting it mainly on the left side of my upper lat area on my back...and throughout my left arm and wrist and fingers...its whats been bugging me the most recently...and most who I have talked to think that the bump on my neck is from an infection..ive been coughing past couple days aswell so could be an infection is what im guessing as chances of it being cancer etc..at my age isint as likely, and I dont think I have heart problems as well. I am like I said only 16 so seems like a lot for my age...I think the costochondritis is slowly getting better but it still hurts when it comes and goes...mainly its moved from the center now to my lower left pec right underneath it...sharp pains sometimes...most of the time if I do anything physical...but the numbness is the main new thing that is concerning me. I will also get an appoinment for next week, and starting today I started recording down all my symptoms. So next friday is when I think I will go see my family doctor, and hopefully see if there are tests needed etc...So if you have any ideas about the numbness id appreciate it! Thanks for your help so far!

Cheers, Kevin from Vancouver, Canada
Helpful - 0
In regards to the bump on your neck:

There are glands in the back of the neck. These are the occipital lymph nodes, the posterior cervical lymph nodes and the jugular chain of lymph nodes.

If we assume that this is a lymph node then most of the time the cause is an infection (possibly Costochondritis). The ONLY clinical concern is to rule out any possibility of malignancy. Usually swollen nodes from an infection in your body will slowly go away on their own. I am leaning towards an infection but we cannot rule out possible malignancy.

Of course it could be a myriad of other things which are less alarming. Aneurysms tend to be throbbing on touch (you can feel a very strong pulse there). Being in the back of the neck that wouldnt be a classical presentation.

I would recommend you have someone look at it and it sounds like you are (good). There is no substitute for clinical examination in your case.

Here is a page that explains Costochondritis pretty well:

http://www.emedicinehealth.com/costochondritis/article_em.htm

Good luck, hang in there, and have a Happy Holiday. I know its hard not to stress about it, but try.  Your appointment will be here soon and I'm sure everything will be fine.  
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Undiagnosed Symptoms Community

Top General Health Answerers
363281 tn?1643235611
Nelson, New Zealand
1756321 tn?1547095325
Queensland, Australia
19694731 tn?1482849837
AL
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Discharge often isn't normal, and could mean an infection or an STD.
In this unique and fascinating report from Missouri Medicine, world-renowned expert Dr. Raymond Moody examines what really happens when we almost die.
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
When it comes to your health, timing is everything
We’ve got a crash course on metabolism basics.
Learn what you can do to avoid ski injury and other common winter sports injury.