Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Very small, yet noticeable lymph node in neck

I'm a 38 yr old male.  About 4 months ago, while shaving, I noticed a lump on the right side of my neck, behind the hinge of the jaw under the ear. Not painful, no other symptoms.  After 2 weeks I talked with a friend who is an MD, he said to watch it for another couple months. A week after that I had a cold for 2-3 days, which developed into a slightly productive cough which lingered for 3 weeks, then went away. The lump would fluctuate during the day, more noticeable in AM, much less so in PM.  Now, if I run my finger down my neck, I don't notice anything, but if I press into the muscle at the spot where the swelling was, I can feel a little rubbery/gristley bump, about the size of a small, or maybe even half a small out-of-the-shell sunflower seed. Still slightly more noticeable in the morning than in the evening. Still no other symptoms, weight is steady between 160-165 (I'm 5'10"), energy is fine, appetite good. No history of cancer in the family, HIV risk factors practically non-existent (the only unprotected sex in the last 11 yrs was in two long-term monogomous relationships).  At what point, if it were something serious like Lymphoma, would other symptoms start to appear, and would it be bigger than it is? I'm currently uninsured, and am terrified of getting it checked out and discovering it's something that will destroy my insurability for the rest of my life. I don't want to be the boy who cried wolf, but it's been weighing on my mind constantly. Any thoughts would be much appreciated. Thanks.
4 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I had an enlarged lymph node on my neck when I was 16 which was visually noticable and very large. It also made it hard to turn my neck. My mom took me to the doctor who told me that it was a lymph node which was caused by an infection and it wasn't anything to worry about. Since then, it has swelled up periodically, which the doctor says is also nothing to worry about.
Helpful - 0
Good news.  Most people have lymph nodes like you are describing.  They are called "shotty" lymph nodes and they remain enlarged due to prior infections.  Unless you have multiple lymphadenopathy with pain or tenderness on palpation AND/OR fever, there is no need for worry.
Helpful - 0
158812 tn?1189755826
I had something very similar in the back of my neck, and my ob/gyn checked it out...he said it was an infected hair follicle.  Sure enough, after about 8 weeks, it dissapeared.  If your worried, set up an appointment with your GP.  This may not even be your lymph node.  The quick trip to the dr., and peace of mind that comes with it is worth a million.
Helpful - 0
I have the same question kind of question so I thought I should post with your comment....
I have a lymph node that has been enlarged slightly for about 2 years now. Its about the length of a quarter and the thickness of a pencil. It sort of has the shape of like a kidney bean. I have no pain. I do constantly have stuffy sinuses and itchy eyes but no symptoms other then that. I sometimes have seasonal allergies though..so that could be part of that.
Should I be worried or get checked by a doctor? If you have any ideas of what it might be that would help too!

Just a little background on other things I have: I also have just started getting Precordial Catch Syndrome due to stress because I am a college student and my finals are coming up.
I get eye stys once in a great while as well..but it may be due to the fact that I'm a cashier and I handle money a lot and I might rub my eyes while I'm working.
(I gave you this info just in cause they're related to the lymph node)
Thanks for you help!
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Undiagnosed Symptoms Community

Top General Health Answerers
363281 tn?1643235611
Nelson, New Zealand
1756321 tn?1547095325
Queensland, Australia
19694731 tn?1482849837
AL
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Discharge often isn't normal, and could mean an infection or an STD.
In this unique and fascinating report from Missouri Medicine, world-renowned expert Dr. Raymond Moody examines what really happens when we almost die.
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
When it comes to your health, timing is everything
We’ve got a crash course on metabolism basics.
Learn what you can do to avoid ski injury and other common winter sports injury.