Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

is this tmj or not?

Does this sound like tmj to anyone or not?  About 5 years ago I was in a car accident.  About 2 months later I started getting these strange burning type headaches in the back of my head.  It seemed to only appear randomly.  As the years went on, the pain seemed to only happen every month mid-cycle or when my period started.  Sometimes my ear hurts on that side, ENT said everything normal.  My shoulder bothers me almost everyday on that side, and I get these strange creepy crawling sensations on that side of my face.  Has anyone had similar symptoms?  Any suggestions would help.  Thanks!
8 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Hi yvonne.  Let me know what you find out.  Take care
Helpful - 0
HELLO, TRY NOT TO BE ALARMED BECAUSE YOU ARE JUST ESCALATING THE SYMPTOMS, WELL I AM 36 YRS OLD AND THIS HAS BEEN GOING ON FOR 2 YRS NOW, I HAVE BEEN TO EVER DOC IN THE MED FIELD IT SEEMS LIKE, MY NEURO DID ALL KIND OF TEST ON ME WHERE ONLY ONE TEST CAME BACK BORDERLINE FOR ANA, WHERE THEN HE FIGURED IT WAS NOT A NEURO PROBLEM AND SENT ME TO A RHEUM WHERE SHE DID ALL KIND OF TEST ON ME WHERE THEY WHERE ALL NEG, AND THE BORDERLINE ANA SHE STATES DOES NOT MEAN I HAVE LUPUS, WHICH IS WHAT THE NEURO DOC THOUGHT, SO THEN I WAS SENT OVER TO SEE A ENDOCRONOLOGIST (SORRY FOR THE SPELLING) WHERE SHE RAN TEST AND MY CORTISOL WAS LOW AND MY BONE DENSITY TEST CAME BACK AS OSTEOPINEA, BUT I SEEMS LIKE ONE OF THOSE DOCS SHOULD HAVE AN ANSWER, SO I AM IN A DIFFERENT STATE NOW, SO IAM STARTING OVER WITH NEW NEURO DOC, I WILL HAVE ANOTHER MRI AND EMG TEST DONE THRUS, I WISH I WAS BACK TO NORMAL I TRY NOT TO THINK ABOUT IT, BECAUSE IT JUST MAKES IT WORSE
Helpful - 0
HELLO, TRY NOT TO BE ALARMED BECAUSE YOU ARE JUST ESCALATING THE SYMPTOMS, WELL I AM 36 YRS OLD AND THIS HAS BEEN GOING ON FOR 2 YRS NOW, I HAVE BEEN TO EVER DOC IN THE MED FIELD IT SEEMS LIKE, MY NEURO DID ALL KIND OF TEST ON ME WHERE ONLY ONE TEST CAME BACK BORDERLINE FOR ANA, WHERE THEN HE FIGURED IT WAS NOT A NEURO PROBLEM AND SENT ME TO A RHEUM WHERE SHE DID ALL KIND OF TEST ON ME WHERE THEY WHERE ALL NEG, AND THE BORDERLINE ANA SHE STATES DOES NOT MEAN I HAVE LUPUS, WHICH IS WHAT THE NEURO DOC THOUGHT, SO THEN I WAS SENT OVER TO SEE A ENDOCRONOLOGIST (SORRY FOR THE SPELLING) WHERE SHE RAN TEST AND MY CORTISOL WAS LOW AND MY BONE DENSITY TEST CAME BACK AS OSTEOPINEA, BUT I SEEMS LIKE ONE OF THOSE DOCS SHOULD HAVE AN ANSWER, SO I AM IN A DIFFERENT STATE NOW, SO IAM STARTING OVER WITH NEW NEURO DOC, I WILL HAVE ANOTHER MRI AND EMG TEST DONE THRUS, I WISH I WAS BACK TO NORMAL I TRY NOT TO THINK ABOUT IT, BECAUSE IT JUST MAKES IT WORSE
Helpful - 0
TMJ is very common in accidents involving whiplash type injuries.  A good oral surgeon will be able to diagnose and treat you.  It doesn't always mean surgery.
Helpful - 0
Hello.  How long has yours been going on?  What kind of test have you had done?  I'm scared there is something really wrong.
I figure that it's been going on for 5 years and nothing seriously happened so far.  If you don't mind me asking, What is your age?
Helpful - 0
HELLO, SORRY TO SO I HAVE THE CRAWLING SENSATIONS ALL OVER THE INSIDE OF MY BODY, AND THE BURNING FROM HEAD TO TOE, I AM CURRENTLY SEEING NEUROLOGIST FOR THE 5 TH TIME, NO ONE KNOWS WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME, ALL MY TEST COME BACK NORMAL BYR I DONT FEEL NORMAL, I AM CONSTANTLY DIZZY ALSO
Helpful - 0
Thanks for your comment.  The crawly sensations is there just about every day, it's not constant, sometimes I only feel it once or twice a day, some days it's more, seems to be worse when my shoulder is hurting on that side, or when I sleep on that side at night.  The ear pain is only there on occcasions also.  There is no pain in my face or jaw.  But when I get that burning type headache on that side there is no crawlies, but my ear is very sensitive to noise.  No numbness at all, although there is sometimes pressure in my cheekbone.  About 5 years ago I went to an ENT he did an x-ray of the sinuses, told me that I had alot of thickening on that side.  Do you think this could be from sinuses?  Have you yourself ever heard of these issues with my face caused by sinus problems?  Let me know.
Helpful - 0
Hi Jenny- I'm not sure if this will help, but I have TMJ for a while now...I started getting unbelieveable headaches to the point I was vomiting, my jaw clicks and pops out on occasion,I went to the dentist and they took x-rays and they told me that I could have corrective surgery...definately not, so it's not too bad, but gets worse with stress, rain, excessive chewing, or cold...Every case is different though TMJ is usually from grinding your teeth and throwing your jaw out of alignment (I open my mouth and my jaw is slanted). The coincidence that it happens monthly may be just that or even have something to do with the hormones a lil off balance...the only thing I could think of would be some kind of nerve...(I have a crawling sensation on one side of my face, but it's numb- brain tumor that crushed my trigeminal nerve, so every now and then when the wind blows I get the shooting pains in my ear or face cause it's extremely sensitive-I am not saying it's a brain tumor~!!! It might just have something to do with nerve sensitivity... don't know if this even helped, but do your research, maybe look into pinched nerves?? That's where I would start, best wishes and good luck
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Undiagnosed Symptoms Community

Top General Health Answerers
363281 tn?1643235611
Nelson, New Zealand
1756321 tn?1547095325
Queensland, Australia
19694731 tn?1482849837
AL
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Discharge often isn't normal, and could mean an infection or an STD.
In this unique and fascinating report from Missouri Medicine, world-renowned expert Dr. Raymond Moody examines what really happens when we almost die.
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
When it comes to your health, timing is everything
We’ve got a crash course on metabolism basics.
Learn what you can do to avoid ski injury and other common winter sports injury.