Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

confusing symptoms

My head jerks and the onset of movement.  I also have a left hand writers cramp type thing that happens for no apparent reason (not writing). I have also had similar cramping in my left foot which happens some nights. The cramping doesn't happen often but has been consistent for over a year.  The neck jerks started happening about a month ago.  They are very subtle and not painful..I just notice them.  Now they happen several times an hour.  I also have a tremor (seems like essential tremor) in my left hand. The movement issues are bothering me and I'm fearing that they sound like early onset Parkinsons.  I'm 36.  I am somewhat depressed have difficult concentrating at times or remembering things.  When my neck moves it isn't a spasm that is long lasting like my hand and foot...it is just a quick subtle jerk to the right like I'm turning my head.  Is this something I should be concerned about or is there really nothing anyone can do?  I have been diagnosed with a thyroid disorder but they can't decide if I'm hyper or hypo and I have antibodies that are high.  I'm euthyroid at the moment and on no meds. The only other odd symptom I can think of that I have is that at times I get broken blood vessels for no apparent reason.  My vein gets large and it hurts very bad and then something pops and it leaves a bruise.  This has happened on my left hand, my left foot and the top of the head.  I'm stumped and would appreciate you input.  The hand and foot spasms happen about 1 every 3 months the neck jerks everyday.  thanks
11 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
chriswatk
i have hashimoto thyroiditis and essential tremors.  the tremors are said to be hereditary, treatment of inderal could be prescribed by a neurologist.  both my hands tremor though, i can't say i ever heard of it affecting only one.  as for the spasm in the neck, i heard of what is called 'tics' they can be checked for by a neurologist, if it's any help?
Helpful - 0
Do you know you'd be better off if you had a diagnosis of MS? There are some treatments that are very helpful to some people, and many studies underway where they would pay you to receive treatment aimed at slowing the disease process.
Helpful - 0
Hi linda...I was reading your posts..what strange symptoms do you have?  I also get the weird sensations in my head and i get the sensation of liquid dripping under the skin in my head and other parts of my body.  I have read this symptom on several posts under neurology..no one has seem to find an answer.  My probelms i think point to ms, but i havent been diagnosed. i was told 15 years ago i dont have it...but i think i do.. i wont go back to the dr. because the irony is im too scared to find out its ms. But i havent been too bad for 18 years.
i have bladder problems which have mostly subsided, vision problems, and sensory--tingling, numbness and burning.
Write back when you can..if you want to read my posts they are under the neuro forum.
Helpful - 0
My mom is the only other person I know to have had the vein popping thing and doctors just look at me like I'm nuts.  One doctor suggested they can be minor clots and that the larger vein is not popping but that the pressure that the clot creates makes smaller capillary type veins burst which relieves the pressure and also leaves a bruise.  but it was an admitted guess on the doctors part.
Do you have the spasms and neck jerks too?
Helpful - 0
Here is just one pargraph from the following link. It sounds like you definately have Hashimoto's, which is the same as autoimmune thyroiditis.
Usually, however, Hashimoto's involves a slow but steady destruction of the gland that eventually results in the thyroid's inability to produce sufficient thyroid hormone -- the condition known as hypothyroidism. Along the way, however, there can be periods where the thyroid sputters back to life, even causing temporary hyperthyroidism, then a return to hypothyroidism. This cycling back and forth between hypothyroidism and hyperthyroidism is characteristic of Hashimoto's disease.
http://thyroid.about.com/cs/hypothyroidism/a/hashivshypo.htm

Muscle cramps are a symptom of Hashimoto's, as is muscle weakness. I was unable to find anything relating muscle jerks/ twitches to it. Depression, and difficulty concentrating arealso related to thyroid troubles. I a glad that your other antibody testswere normal. You may find that once you get the thyroid under control, that the jerks and twitches will dissappear. Good luck.
Helpful - 0
I noticed someone wrote to you and ask about the small red spots I do get them on my body and was told they are telangiectasias when I had to go to New York so I would be interested if that person remembers what disease that belongs with in emailing me at ***@****. God Bless thanks Linda sorry I had to post again I was not sure of the person's name it was Myproblem.
Helpful - 0
I have also had the same thing happen to me with the vein in my ankel and have weird symptoms read down under my name I have please help me or I can't get diagnosed I just listed my post the other day.It is weird it is like something bursts and then the area swells and is black and blue I took pictures to the doctor I went to seven vascular doctors and was told not to worry about it but what is it. I have Hashmitos disease also have been to so many people I got sick when I was 21 am now 49 and have been sick for years there has to be people out there,answers as to why these things are happening. My mother had a stroke I get a weird sensation in my head and I am afraid if they dont' figure this out I will end up with a stroke. Good luck to you and if you here of the test someeonee mentions on here please let me know I think this is something vascular. If you can't find me back on here my email is ***@**** for everyone's help.
Linda
Helpful - 0
The antibodies that are elevation are the ones that indicate Hashimotos.  My thyroid has been pretty stable but the antibodies have been from 1500 to 300.  I've had multiple blood test and my TSH is usually within the normal range to a bit on the hypo side.  I did have an update test that showed that I was hyper (thuse the conflicting tests).  They are scheudling another uptake test to compare the two right now.  I've also been tested for Lupus and Rhuematoid issues as well has have had an ANA test and all of those have come back normal.  The twitching and spasms are what is troubling my the most.  The vein issue is more like a swelling of a blood vessel with pain ...great pain and then a pop (seemingly) and then a good looking bruise (black and blue) usually around my knuckle when its on my hand.  It happens very infrequently, I'd say 3 times a year at the most.  The tremor in my hand is EVERYDAY...my head jerking is several time a day and the spasms in my hands and feet are a about once every three months.  My head jerking is really bothering me but I'm the only one that notices it.  It is very subtle at this point.
Helpful - 0
Okay, I was trying to do a little research for you because I couldn't remember the name of the condition causing your blood vessels to burst. I tried and tried, but I couldn't find it. It is very obscure. Have you ever noticed tiny red spots on your skin? These are called telangiectasias, and if you have very many of them, are part of the same disorder. Now about your Thyroid, if they can't tell if you're hypo (low) or hyper (high), does that mean you've had multiple tests? Have they mentioned autoimmune thyroiditis. If I find the name of the blood vessel disorder, I'll post it to you.
Helpful - 0
Please forget the last 2 sentences of my last post, I had 2 post windows open at once, and got the wrong one. Sorry.
Helpful - 0
What antibodies are raised, can you name them? What blood tests have you had besides thyroid? This sounds autoimmune, especially the thing with the veins. I had that for a long time, and Dr.'s acted like it was nothing. Then I found out it was linked to my autoimmune diseases. Don't worry about the heading saying the article is about Lupus and vasculitis. Just read the article though, and see if it sounds familiar.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Undiagnosed Symptoms Community

Top General Health Answerers
363281 tn?1643235611
Nelson, New Zealand
1756321 tn?1547095325
Queensland, Australia
19694731 tn?1482849837
AL
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Discharge often isn't normal, and could mean an infection or an STD.
In this unique and fascinating report from Missouri Medicine, world-renowned expert Dr. Raymond Moody examines what really happens when we almost die.
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
When it comes to your health, timing is everything
We’ve got a crash course on metabolism basics.
Learn what you can do to avoid ski injury and other common winter sports injury.