Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

brainfog, headaches and more

I have been suffering from severe headaches all my life but in the last few years my life has totally started to really suck. It first started out with minor thinking problems such as problems explaining things and remembering little things but i didnt think too much about it. but now i have headaches all the time and severe brain fog. meaning i cant think clearly or remember things clearly. Lately it seems to ahve gotten even worse. Actually feels like a brick inthe middle of my brain that wont let thoughts get through and i some how have to think little thoughts around it? I don't know if that makes sense. Its just taking away myself from me. Im not myself anymore. I been to the doctor a few years ago but they basically told my that iwas bored and didnt help me. Someone told me it could be sleep apnea which makes sense since i always stoped breathing when i was a baby and i still cannot breathe through my nose. Also i wake up in the night time with my chest hurting really badly like i wasnt breathing. The only problem is now that idont ahve money or insurence to goto a doctor and the free clinics don't really help. I have other symptoms also but ifeel that when i mention everything, people think im crazy which is reason im scared to go back to a doctor and waste any money i have to jsut hear them say im crazy or something. Could it be that i do have sleep apnea? it makes sense to me. I've had a bad cold in the past week so maybe that caused the brain fog to get worse. anyone know of anything i can do to get help? thanks
-josh
14 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
i always sleep on my stomach. for some reason i find it very uncomfortable to sleep on my back. so i don't have a problem with not sleeping on it.
Helpful - 0
In the meantime don't sleep on your back. Put a pillow behind your back so you don't roll over and try sleeping on your side. Also try two pillows so you're more propped up, it helps the sleep apnea a little, your throat muscles don't sag as much closing off the airway.
Helpful - 0
i wasn't overweight before the health problems started. but then i blew up.
its funny you mention sleep apnea because i had people telling me that its what it was. i mean, i dont wanna sound weird, but i have a psychic friend who told me that is what it was when i had no idea about sleep apnea.

It made sense to me since i always usedto stop breathing when i was a baby and cant even breathe through my nose correctly. But i cant find one case of sleep apnea on the internet that had severe brain fog that was always there. The psychic guy that told me isn't all mysterious.i mean everything he told me that would happen did come true, its still a bit hard for me to believe a psychic, but it makes more sense than anything else. Also since lately i cant seem to stay awake. Before i was always tired but never could sleep, now it seems im even more tired and can sleep perfectly. All day long and i have to force my self to stay awake such as right now. So thats something that goes along with sleep apnea. That guy also had it so maybe thats why he can relate. I dont know. ITs very scary to not have insurence or alot of money to be able to see a doctor. i've emailed a couple local sleep clinics and even emailed some rich distant family members to see if they'd help. im really desperate now.

thanks for all your comments. I've also have stopped useing aspartame. It might not have been the main cuase, but there are soo many reports on its negative effects and i drinked alot of soda, atleast 2 litteres a day for the last few years, so it cant hurt to stop drinking it.
Helpful - 0
Brain fog that is always there could be attributed to poor sleep or sleep apnea. It is a feature of fibromyalgia. Are you by chance overweight and possibly having sleep apnea?
Helpful - 0
im 22. and i do not qualify for any of the public aid programs.

what types of brain fog are there? I've did some searches on google and most of the cases deal with brain fog that comes and goes. what about brain fog that is always there?
Helpful - 0
heh im used to forums where you can edit your posts. so im sorry for double posting, could constipation cause severe brain fog and headaches? For the last couple years i have been very lucky if i even get 2 good bowel movements a week. i know ihear that people have a few good ones a day and i think thats crazy! i know its a gross subject, but still i think it could be contributing a little to my severe brain fog. Atleast maybe the dryness.
Helpful - 0
Dry eyes and mouth are the major symptoms of Sjogren's Syndrome. That is one possibility. Sleep apnea is another, and so are allergies. If you are trying to hydrate your mouth and eyes etc. Soda pop is not the way to do it. The carbonation actually dehydrates you. Drink water, or if that is too boring, try juice or lemonade (although they are high in calories). Since you said there is a sleep clinic near you, why don't you give them a call and see if they are doing any studies right now. If you can get into a medical study, they will pay you, and you get free care. If there is a university hspital near you, they may also have studies. Consider: Chronic Sinusitis, Chronic Headaches, and Sleep Apnea as possible topics to look for. They may post a list on their website. As far as the constipation, it certainly can't be helping you feel any better. It is possibly due to chronic dehydration from drinking too much soda. Considering your age, your diet probably stinks too (just a guess). Think about it: Did your symptoms get worse a short time after you moved away from home, and became responsible for your own diet? Try to eat less meat and carbohydrates (like french fries). Eat more fruits and veggies. If you drink alcohol, or smoke, these will also contribute to all of your problems. Chances are that if you improve what you are putting into your body, your symptoms will improve too.
Helpful - 0
Aspartame could be soemthing. i only drink diet sodas such as Sierra mist free and diet sprite. i drink fresca also but i havent checked on the ingredients for it yet. No more of them for me. I usually only drink them because some more of my symptoms are dry mouth and eyes and almost everything else. Water doesnt help alone so i guess whatever is in the soda's helps my mouth stay wet a little bit more.

Basically my problems all started with being tired alot and dry eyes and mouth, and really bad light sensitivity. All the doctors i've seen when i had money and insurence did tests for diabetes and everything else, but never sleep apnea. I snore really loud that i am told.

There is a sleep clinic around where i live but i bet they want insurence and i dont have alot of money to pay upfront. Do you guys think maybe there is some doctor or lab that could use the learning experience or whatever? hehe im really desperate to get better. I've been so tired lately. Sleeping from 8am to 8pm and still tired after that. it could be due to the bad cold i've had for the last week (teach me to walk in the pouring down freezing rain at 3am). i checked my cold medicine that i took and it didnt hvave Aspartame in it. But i did drink a 2 litter of diet sprite yesterday which could make the other symptoms even worse.

Im really loosing my mind too and cant really stand this any longer. What should i do? Im still scared to goto the doctor and be disapointed again, but i havent ever went for anything related to sleep apnea. also im 22 years old. wichita kansas.

I used to post on webmd years ago for when i only had the headaches. But they arent very personal or anything there. They seem to give some stupid answer and say "goto the doctor" well i live in america and dont have insurence so its kidna hard for me and free clinics don't do anything.
Helpful - 0
How old are you?
Helpful - 0
the sensation of a brick in the middle of your head is typical feeling of muscle tension headaches...it feels like a vise......the brain fog could be due to anxiety over the headaches....do you do any heavy lifting or carrying anything over your shoulder>  do you use the computer often? maybe you should try massage therapy and see if it works..
good luck
Helpful - 0
Is there a chance you could buy insurance - at least on a temporary basis- as you really need more investigation into your problem. If you are not working did you file for some kind of public aid- you usually get insurance along with it.
Helpful - 0
I had trouble thinking when I used aspartame in my diet... until just recently I hadn't eliminated all of it.  Aspartame is in nearly 6,000 products.  It can DEFINATELY cause the kind of 'brain fog' you are describing for some people... many days it was so bad I couldn't even read... or think enough to perform even simple tasks.

Try eliminating this from your diet, and be careful as it's in so many products (cold remedies, some vitamins, soda pop, yogurt, etc etc).
Helpful - 0
you should probably get a MRI, it shows more than a ct scan, what other symptoms do you have? Do you snore, snoring is associated with sleep apnea, check your local hospitals , some offer sleep study clinics, i have had headaches for7 months, feels like some one cracked me with a bat and nothing takes the pain away, it is changing my life. I have an apt with a neur thursday.
Helpful - 0
I should add that I did goto the Er when the big headaches and brain fog started and had a catscan done and they said it was clean. So no tumor or anything. Could be one but i dunno.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Undiagnosed Symptoms Community

Top General Health Answerers
363281 tn?1643235611
Nelson, New Zealand
1756321 tn?1547095325
Queensland, Australia
19694731 tn?1482849837
AL
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Discharge often isn't normal, and could mean an infection or an STD.
In this unique and fascinating report from Missouri Medicine, world-renowned expert Dr. Raymond Moody examines what really happens when we almost die.
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
When it comes to your health, timing is everything
We’ve got a crash course on metabolism basics.
Learn what you can do to avoid ski injury and other common winter sports injury.