Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

endometriosis

i have had endometriosis since i was 19.  i had 4 children and am 41 now.  i have had irregular periods for the last 3 months and the dr did a pelvic ultrasound and discovered endo again.  they want to do a biopsy im not sure why does anyone know?  i thought they would do a laporscopic surgery to see the scar tissue more closely.  if anyone knows why could you please tell me.  they wouldn't be concerned about cancer would they?
3 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
They r checking for cancer I was told that I had endometriosis at 13. I am now 21 I have had to laps and one biopsy. If you have a lot of tissue build up when they did the ultra sound they did to make sure there r no cancer cells. It just a precaution don't worry about.
Helpful - 0
Hi,

' Major symptom of endometriosis is severe recurring pain. The amount of pain a woman feels is not necessarily related to the extent or stage of endometriosis.

Symptoms of endometriosis can include (but are not limited to):

- dysmenorrhea - Painful, sometimes disabling menstrual cramps; pain may get worse over time (progressive pain)
- Chronic pelvic pain - typically accompanied by lower back pain and/or abdominal pain, painful sex , painful bowel movements
- Nausea, vomiting, and/or diarrhea
- dysuria - Urinary urgency, frequency, and sometimes painful voiding
- Infertility and subfertility. Endometriosis may lead to fallopian tube obstruction.

Some women may also suffer mood swings and fatigue.

In addition, women who are diagnosed with endometriosis may have gastrointestinal symptoms that may mimic irritable bowel syndrome.'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endometriosis

The only way to confirm and diagnose endometriosis is by laparoscopy or other types of surgery. The diagnosis is based on the characteristic appearance of the disease, if necessary corroborated by a biopsy. Laparoscopy also allows for surgical treatment of endometriosis.

Generally, endometriosis-directed drug therapy is utilized after a confirmed surgical diagnosis of endometriosis.

Let us know if you need any other information and do review with your OBG.

Regards.
Helpful - 0
They might be concerned about cancer, and are taking a better safe than sorry approach. My friend had severe endometriosis, and had a total hysterectomy. She's felt great ever since.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Undiagnosed Symptoms Community

Top General Health Answerers
363281 tn?1643235611
Nelson, New Zealand
1756321 tn?1547095325
Queensland, Australia
19694731 tn?1482849837
AL
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Discharge often isn't normal, and could mean an infection or an STD.
In this unique and fascinating report from Missouri Medicine, world-renowned expert Dr. Raymond Moody examines what really happens when we almost die.
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
When it comes to your health, timing is everything
We’ve got a crash course on metabolism basics.
Learn what you can do to avoid ski injury and other common winter sports injury.