Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

ear thumping

I  HAVE  HAD  A  THUMPING IN  MY  LEFT  EAR  FOR  A  WEEK  NOW. WHAT IS  WRONG ?  IT  FEELS  LIKE  IT  IS  BEATING  TO  THE BEAT  OF MY HEART.  I  HOPE  SOMEONE  HAS  AN  ANSWER  IT  IS VERY  ANNOYING.
4 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
675347 tn?1365460645
I get thumping sound in my right ear, only sometimes, and only connected to if I drink alcohol. I don't know what this is. Sometimes I can drink alcohol and it doesn't happen. When it happens it goes away after sleeping, but will last for hours and hours if I don't sleep. Then suddenly I'll go for weeks or months without it happening!
I never have ear infections, etc, am fit and well, don't drink loads of alcohol, eat healthy...what can this be? Has anyone any clues?
The rhythm of this thumping is not my heartbeat. It is much faster. About 4 beats a second. If I stick my finger in my ear I can't hear it.
Helpful - 0
The first time I experienced thumping in my left ear I was pregnant with our 3rd child.  Since them I periodically have problems with the thumping in my ear.  The doctors feel it is a muscle spasm.  It is difinetly not my heart beat.  Each time I increase my calcium supplements and it seems to help the problem.  I also take Loratadine which is the same as Claritin for allergies.  Those two actions bring me some relief.  I hope this helps.
Helpful - 0
You could have fluid build up in your eustacian tubes. Do you have allergies or sinus problems? Sudafed and lots of water should help. Also, my Dr. suggested chewing gum. This pushes the fluid out of the euatacian tubes.
Helpful - 0
The noise you are hearing is the beating of your own heart and the flow of blood through the vessels in the eardrum.  It is called Tinitis and can occur for no reason at all. It can occur from ear infections, excessive earwax, or just listening for the sound can make you aware of it. Have your ears checked by an ENT for excessive wax.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Undiagnosed Symptoms Community

Top General Health Answerers
363281 tn?1643235611
Nelson, New Zealand
1756321 tn?1547095325
Queensland, Australia
19694731 tn?1482849837
AL
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Discharge often isn't normal, and could mean an infection or an STD.
In this unique and fascinating report from Missouri Medicine, world-renowned expert Dr. Raymond Moody examines what really happens when we almost die.
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
When it comes to your health, timing is everything
We’ve got a crash course on metabolism basics.
Learn what you can do to avoid ski injury and other common winter sports injury.