Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Abnormal MRI Results

I am 29 years old and four weeks ago I experienced a cloudy spot in my left eye. I was also experiencing localized headaches on the left side of my head. A CT ruled out a large tumor, but my first MRI showed abnormalities. A spinal tap ruled out infection and last week I had another MRI with spectroscopy. This test showed no increased chemical levels and no change in the size of the "spot". The neurosurgeon from the beginning stated that he was baffled by the presentation on my first MRI and had several others look at it and they too were not sure. He has not made any attempt on a diagnosis and wants to do another MRI in 6 weeks, so I am in the process of seeking a second opinion.

Could you please tell me what you think might be a diagnosis based on this MRI explanation: Focal areas of increased T2 signal intensity in the left thalamus, basal ganglia, and left temporal lobe as well as the focal area of increased T2 signal intensity in the right occipial lobe. These findings represent a demyelinating process of unknown etiology. These are stable and unchanged since the prior study of 3/8/06 and do not appear to represent neoplasm on the spectroscopy images. A small cyst is demonstrated near this area and may represent a small choroid fissure cyst.

Any help would be appreciated.  Do you recommend any other tests that have not been done?
2 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Thanks for the insight!
I had a blind spot appear in my left eye and was experiencing localized headaches. The opthamologist referred me to the Neurosurgeon. My only symptoms have been the problems above, random times when speaking my tongue will "freeze up", and some light tingling in my hands and legs. The neurologists and neurosurgeons that looked at my mri said they were "baffled" and wasn't sure what it was. Even after my 2nd MRI that showed no changes with the spectroscopy the doctor has yet to tell me what he thinks it might be. I am going to another neurosurgeon at the end of the month and hoping he can shed more light on the situation.
Helpful - 0
This section is for patient to patient comments only...no doctor answers this forum. You might want to try the Neurology forum. I myself have no clue as to what your MRI might represent.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Undiagnosed Symptoms Community

Top General Health Answerers
363281 tn?1643235611
Nelson, New Zealand
1756321 tn?1547095325
Queensland, Australia
19694731 tn?1482849837
AL
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Discharge often isn't normal, and could mean an infection or an STD.
In this unique and fascinating report from Missouri Medicine, world-renowned expert Dr. Raymond Moody examines what really happens when we almost die.
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
When it comes to your health, timing is everything
We’ve got a crash course on metabolism basics.
Learn what you can do to avoid ski injury and other common winter sports injury.