Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

collapsed veins from intraveinous drug use

Is there any way to repair collapsed veins from prolonged IV drug use? Patient has no significant veins left in arms, hands, neck and only one significant vein in the back of the thigh. (All doctors refuse to use this vein). This is making routine blood work and other tests that require an IV next to impossible. Patient is experiencing severe weight loss and is need of extensive tests.
5 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
A related discussion, Recovered IV Drug Users - Vein Questions was started.
Helpful - 0
A related discussion, It this normal??? was started.
Helpful - 0
HI I'M DEB AND I'M 27 YRS OLD,I HAVE COLLASPED VEINS IN BOTH OF MY ARMS AND I BRUISE SO EASILY THAT I HAVE EVEN HAD THE BLOOD TEST FOR THEBLOOD DISORDER THAT MAKES YOU BRUISE-VAN WILLBRAND'S DISEASE AND IT CAME BACK CLEAR,BUT I BRUISE TERRIBLE EVERY TIME I HAVE BLOOD TEST WHICH IS REGULAR.
Helpful - 0
Veins that collapse occasionally will repair themselves in time, but those that have collapsed due to continued drug use will not.  When the veins collapse repeatedly, the body will "grow" new ones around the bad or blocked veins.  These are usually smaller and are not straight, but rather curly.  They get blood to the body, but can't be used for IVs because they are small and aren't straight.  An IV needle needs a vein that is at least 1 1/2" straight. The best veins are in the hands and forearms, but veins in the upper inside arm and shoulders can be used in some cases.  Veins in the legs are not used because the blood sometimes pools in the legs and the meds do not circulate in the body.  In some cases when veins are really bad, a catheter can surgically be placed in the forearm, such as with dialysis.
Helpful - 0
I think they get better over time. My husbands veins collapsed in a similar manner when he had his last chemotherapy sessions. His have actually took some time to recover. Can they not fit a hickman line if his veins have collapsed. They used this method for my husband but I dont know if this was because of intravenous chemo sessions. You could ask your Dr.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Undiagnosed Symptoms Community

Top General Health Answerers
363281 tn?1643235611
Nelson, New Zealand
1756321 tn?1547095325
Queensland, Australia
19694731 tn?1482849837
AL
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Discharge often isn't normal, and could mean an infection or an STD.
In this unique and fascinating report from Missouri Medicine, world-renowned expert Dr. Raymond Moody examines what really happens when we almost die.
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
When it comes to your health, timing is everything
We’ve got a crash course on metabolism basics.
Learn what you can do to avoid ski injury and other common winter sports injury.