Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Normal TSH with hyperthyroid symptoms

Symptoms: 38-year-old female with severe episode of vertigo causing visit to ER, no cause found, head CT normal.  Four months later hypertensive crisis/urgency 238/127.  No symptoms, incidentally found, but then severe headache while in ER. No problems with HBP before except when had the vertigo episode.  Previously had never been to ER before except for these two visits and generally healthy.  BP finally came down with 3 clonidine.  It has been a month now, BP still not very well controlled, on 4th med now. Other symptoms are palpitations, increased heart rate, episodes of adrenalin rush/flushing, burning face, feel like I'm wired when this happens. Feel startled, very anxious when this is going on. BP elevated during this time.  Severe headaches every day, wake up with headache.  Headache gets worse during those episodes.  Take Tylenol ES and they go away but come back. Periods of insomnia, like feeling wide awake and then waking up feeling same way. Even though have this anxious-like energy, feel tired. On no stimulants.  No previous problems with anxiety or insomnia. Not a nervous person, type B.  Also noticed hair coming out on palms in shower and increased shedding.  Only health problem is PCOS on metformin to control symptoms. No diabetes. EKG, stress, echo, labs normal including TSH 1.72. Mother with history of hyperthyroidism with surgery.  Is TSH good enough to rule out thyroid or are other tests idicated?  Waiting on 24-hour urine catacholamines/metanephrine test now.
5 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
A related discussion, 15 year old with Graves Disease was started.
Helpful - 0
This is a followup:  I was changed to an ARB with diuretic which is Diovan/HCTZ for hypertension.  Immediately all the symptoms described above disappeared and BP came down to normal levels.  Amazing.  Also cortisol and catacholamines and mets came back normal.  Weird that hypertension can cause all those symptoms that seem like adrenals or thyroid.  Even though my kidney function is normal, makes me wonder if for some reason there was increase in the angiotensin II or renin from kidneys which caused a domino effect to adrenals, etc.  Doc says no further testing needs to be done, that it's just hypertension.  But I tend to think of hypertension as a symptom.
Helpful - 0
hello- i was reading this post and i have a similar concern. my tsh is normal 1.64 but my t4 is 11.4 and t3 is 24. i do not know what these numers mean other than they are "normal" and the t4 reading is almost out of range. i had an incidental finding of a mulitnodular goiter 5mm 4 months ago.
I did lose 15 pounds without effort and now my weight has stayed stable although i am eating more- i normally would have gained weight. I am physically active(had already lost 35 pounds through diet and exercise over a 2 year period) and my blood pressure is low to normal 90/60.
I have had chronic insomnia and some feelings of anxiety that are probably normal given recent events in my life- moved to new home, ended major relationship, started new business, entered new relationship.
I was taking ortho tri cyclen lo for a year- during the last 3 months my cycle started 5-6 days prior to the "due" date and has been heavy- I was taking the pill to lessen a heavy menstruation.
I am writing because in the past month my hair has started to shed and in the past 2 weeks every time i touch my hair a few hairs come out- the equivalent of several brush fulls over the course of a day. I have never had any hair loss in my life and it made me very very upset. Was hoping it was stress? I also have a swollen right side of my neck from the jawline to the right center clavicle- like one long band- thought it might be a gland. It is not huge but is noticeable. I did have a cold last week with a slight fever and was hoping it was due to that and not the "goiter" which my doctor had said was an incidental finding and not to worry. Given the weight loss and recent hair loss I am a little panicked. I do not have any other symptoms of hyperthyroidism. I do not know what to do- if there are other blood tests to take, etc. I am seeing my family doctor and would like to be prepared because I feel this is not being taken seriously enough.
Sorry this post is so long- the hair loss and weight loss have made me worried. Thank you for reading and responding to this post.
Helpful - 0
97953 tn?1440865392
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
Your TSH suggests against a thyroid problem -- could do free T4 and T3 to be certain however.  I am glad they are testing cats/mets in the urine.
Helpful - 0
It is possible to have hypo- or hyper-thyroid with that TSH.  Free T3 and Free T4 will tell a better story.  Free T3 is best in the top 1/4 of the range and free T4 is best in the top 1/3 of the range.  

Do you have those numbers?  It would be wise to insist on those tests as well.

Good luck!
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Forum

Popular Resources
We tapped the CDC for information on what you need to know about radiation exposure
Endocrinologist Mark Lupo, MD, answers 10 questions about thyroid disorders and how to treat them
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.