Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close
161484 tn?1291247757

Daughter's Thyroid

My daughter, age 16, has had weight loss (106 down to 95 in a couple of months time), breathlessness, extreme fatigue as in needing a nap as soon as she gets home from school and hardly making it through the day, puffy eyelids (looks like she cries a lot, though she doesn't), dry skin on her face, brittle hair, but that could be from straightener, extremely painful periods that litterally make her sick to her stomach.  

She went to her doctor (October) and they did blood work.  Her thyroid (TSH) came back .5 but the doc said, "below normal" and ordered a second lab in 1 month, which we did on 11/10.  We are thinking that she is Hyper and I wanted to get your thoughts and opinions on this.  I am also unsure what the doc means by saying that .5 is below normal when I have seen that normal range is .3 - 3.(?)  Or she could have been saying that it was .5 but not 'optimum'?  Can .5 still cause hyper symptoms?  

I am waiting to hear back from the records department to get a copy of her lab work and I will be asking for a copy of her current results when they come in.  

Thank you so much for your help.
Liz.
5 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Also it would be intereting to see what her Free T3 and Free T4 are this would give a much better overview of her thyroid function
Helpful - 0
She has some classic adrenal symptoms, do get that tested, with a 4x/day saliva test. Test for cortisol, DHEA, and aldosterone. Try blood test to. Allergies can develop if someone has an adrenal problem, by the way. Go to StoptheThyroidMadness.com, go to the adrenal section. Also read what you can there about the thyroid.

P.S. Doctors are far from being God.
Helpful - 0
161484 tn?1291247757
sorry, one more post... I just received a copy of her labs and her TSH is .47 (Quest Scale = .5 - 3.9)

Thyroid Peroxidse AB is <10
Thyroglubulin AB <20

Thanks again for your help and sorry I have created 3 posts for 1 question.
Helpful - 0
161484 tn?1291247757
I forgot to add that on occasion she has said that she gets cold sweats and she seems to be sleeping ok, restless at times but not constant.
Helpful - 0
97953 tn?1440865392
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
TSH 0.5 is fairly normal - will be interested in repeat lab.  TSH of 0.5 usually would not be associated with symptoms, but this may have been the beginning phases of the problem.  Key here is observing a trend in thyroid function.

Symptoms not specific for thyroid -- could be allergies, doubt adrenal gland.

Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Forum

Popular Resources
We tapped the CDC for information on what you need to know about radiation exposure
Endocrinologist Mark Lupo, MD, answers 10 questions about thyroid disorders and how to treat them
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.