Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

virus or not

Iam 49, femal and an office worker.  About 15 months ago I was diagnosed with extremely underactive thyroid, I was prescribed Eltroxin, over a period of a few months the dose built up to 100mg per day.  Four months ago I noticed a problem with my eyes and red marks on my knees.  The eye problem was diagnosed as Horner's syndrome and my thyroid was diagnosed as extremely overactive.  My doctor stopped all medication and I have had several blood tests over the last four months but the thyroid is still very overactive.  I now have a discomfort in my neck for which I have been prescribed Difene.  I've seen an endocrinologist (hope that's right) who said that I may have a virus.
On the off chance this is not a virus is there anything else we should be looking at??  If this is a virus have you come across it before??

I would really love to hear your opinion.

Kind regards from Ireland,
JOJO
2 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
97953 tn?1440865392
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
Tough case -- this may be one of two things -- either a Subacute Throiditis -- transient overactivity often associated with a virus -- OR autoimmune thyroid disease -- where the immune system has a combined destructive(hypo)/stimulating(hyper) attack on the thyroid.  If you have been off meds now for a month or so the evaluation should include - an thyroid uptake nuclear test and thyroid antibodies.

Good luck.
Helpful - 1
thank you.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Forum

Popular Resources
We tapped the CDC for information on what you need to know about radiation exposure
Endocrinologist Mark Lupo, MD, answers 10 questions about thyroid disorders and how to treat them
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.