Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close
158939 tn?1274915197

High BP following thyroid storm

I February 2nd I spent nearly 4 hours in the ER for heart palpitations. My TSH was at 0.06 last week and my Endo took me off my meds today for a few days before starting a lower dose (175mcg) of Synthroid. On Feb 2nd the palpitations, headache, and chest pains became too much to deal with and I went to the ER.

I was admitted to the ER with a BP of 148/118 and a pulse rate of over 120bpm. The EKG was showing irregular heart beats and I had a fever of 102. They ran tons of labs then gave me two doses of a Beta blocker (I normally have low blood pressure). TSH at the ER was still at 0.06. The Beta blocker finally kicked in and I came home with an Rx for more of it (as needed).

My blood pressure last night was 126/89. I normally have a low blood pressure with my diastolic around 60.

Will my BP return to normal or am I facing another long-term health problem with my blood pressure?
3 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
A related discussion, nocturnal thyroid storm was started.
Helpful - 0
Hi
I just went through a 6 week bout with hyperthyroidism. My Doctor thinks it was probably iodine-induced (Jod-Basedow) because it happened right after I consumed a large quantity of iodine drops and painted my wrists and troat with iodine to stop a cold. I know it was a dumb thing to do. I feel fine now but went through hell the first few weeks. My levels are all back in the normal range. The only thing is I have this persistant dry throat with a feeling of something in there. There is also some mild intermitent pain nd some mucous.I have to constantly clear my throat. The throat symptoms started the second week of the hyperthyoridism and I've had it for about 5 weeks now. I must add that on the onset of the hyperthyroidism I also had a bad bronchitis cold. Any help would be appreciated. I see and endrocrinologist on March 1. So I hope he can address the issue.
Helpful - 0
97953 tn?1440865392
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
The blood pressure may be a separate problem from the thyroid, but too much or too little synthroid can aggravate the BP.  Keep the TSH around 1.0 to minimize any adverse cardiac effects from thyroid problems.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Forum

Popular Resources
We tapped the CDC for information on what you need to know about radiation exposure
Endocrinologist Mark Lupo, MD, answers 10 questions about thyroid disorders and how to treat them
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.