Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Only Option Is Surgery

When is surgery your option? I feel I should explore other optioins first. Just saying "oh you need to have your thyroid out" isn't acceptable to me. What do you think? I am just newly diagnosed with hyperthyroidism. I'm confused.
8 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Try a primary and be prepared with the tests you want run which should be a FT-4 and and FT-3 in addition to the TSH and see how it goes.  I now see a GP who I have helped "educate" and we work very well together.

If I did not know any better I would say you are seeing an old endo I used to go to.  I heard the exact same comment and I quit immediately and found a doctor who listened to my concerns.

Go to the mediboard.com site and maybe someone there who has had RAI can give you further comment on how to straighten yourself out.
Helpful - 0
When the docotr called back finally, she told me again that I am normal whether I feel good or not and to find a good primary care doctor to take all my other problems to. i am so angry. This was left on my voice mail at home, my husband heard it first, so he got mad too. I am glad he heard the message though because that just sounds unbelievable to repeat to someone. I am trying to decide what to do go to a Primary doc or another endo.............
Helpful - 0
You need to find a new doctor, sounds like yours has a GOD complex.

You are the patient and have every right to be involved with your healthcare.  A doctor who refuses to work with you is not worth your time.
Helpful - 0
actually that is an issue I have with my endo she only looks at TSH and refuses to try another med such amour etc. that might help with  t3/t4. I am waiting on a call back from the office to find out what she has to say about recent events.  The last time I brought up the  t3/t4 & meds issue she had called me at home and lectured me on who was the patient and who was the doctor etc.......
Helpful - 0
glasswitch,

I understand with RAI level fluxuations can be quite an issue.  Are they testing your FT-4 and FT-3 for dosing purpose?  Many doctors only dose by TSH and particularily in my case my doctor has tried several times to reduce my replacement solely on TSH value.  I always insist on FT-4 and FT-3 to be sure I am convertine properly. Lucky for me she does listen and subsequent lab tests confirmed dose reduction was not needed.  

I had surgery 4 1/2 years after beginning ATD's.  I choose surgery over RAI as it was apparent I would never reach a remission and have been very pleased with outcome.

I hope you can find a doctor who is willing to work with you.
Helpful - 0
I was hyper/graves and went with RAI. I sometimes wonder how it would have been if I had surgery instead. I am still having problems with levels and a doctor who isn't listening. Good Luck and don't let anyone else make the  decision for you.
Helpful - 0
Surgery is a must if you have cancer with follow up RAI. Surgery might also be recommended for suspicious nodules or a goiter that interfears with breathing.

Since you are newly diagnosed and if none of the above apply you have the option of antithyroid drugs for a minimum of 18 months to try and reach remision.  Around 30% of people do reach a remission which may or may not last but certainly a better option than going straight into surgery.

Surgery or RAI are the other options and usually follow after trying antithyroid medication first.

If your doctor is not giving you that option you may want to find an endo that will. Research and educate yourself so you can carry on a conversation with your doctor and you will once again be confident with yourself.

Do you know why your doctor said you must have surgery?
Helpful - 0
97953 tn?1440865392
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
Surgery has two indications

1) a biopsy that is showing cancer, is suspicious, or is indeterminant.

2) a benign goiter that is causing compressive symptoms (or cosmetic ones)
    -ie, choking sensation, cough, short of breath etc.

Hyperthryoidism is usually not treated surgically unless there is a suspicious nodule OR the patient cannot tolerate or does not want anti-thyroid meds or I-131 treatment OR the severity is such that there is cardiac decompensation and the thyroid must be removed immediately.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Forum

Popular Resources
We tapped the CDC for information on what you need to know about radiation exposure
Endocrinologist Mark Lupo, MD, answers 10 questions about thyroid disorders and how to treat them
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.