Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Estrogen & Thyroid

Eby
I have been diagnosed with sublinical hyperthyroid about 8 months ago (I was not on birth control pills at that time).  I've recently got my result from my full body check up (for pre-marital purposes and I'm currently on birth control pill Ortho-Tricylen) and here are my thyroid results from my tests.

TSH is < 0.05 (range should be 0.3 - 4.7)
T4 Free is 19.0 (range should be 9.1 - 23.8)
Free T3 is 6.4 (range should be 2.5 - 5.7)

I don't remember my TSH when I wasn't on BCP, but my Free T3 was 6.7 when I wasn't on BCP and now it's 6.4.

My doctor said this is a minor problem and I don't have to worry about it and that I don't need any medications.  But my TSH numbers seems to be "too low" just by comparing my results to the range.

Should I get off the BCP pill?  I'm on it because I want to be able to time my period to ensure I won't get it on my wedding day.  Does BCP affect the results?

I'm looking at getting pregnant in the future, will having subclinical hyperthyroid pose any problems getting pregant?  Will my thyroid problem be passed onto my baby if I do get pregnant?

Should I be on medications to control my thyroid problem?  I'm very concerned, but my doctor thinks there's nothing to be concerned about, I just need to be monitored every 6 months.
2 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
97953 tn?1440865392
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
The BCP does not cause this and does not increase FREE thyroid levels -- so this is a progression from subclinical hyperthyroidism to hyperthyroidism (ie, high free T3 in conjunction with an undectable TSH).  This does increase infertility, cause heart irritation and bone loss.  Every six months, especially when contemplating pregnancy or trying to conceive is too infrequent.  Time to see an endocrinologist to get a definite diagnosis as to why this is happening and to get the situation under control before trying to conceive -- healthier for you and the baby.
Helpful - 0
Eby
I forgot to mention, I'm an Asian female, 29 years of age and I've been on BCP for 3 months.

I've been watching my diet since I was diagnosed with subclinical hyperthyroid such as reducing the consumption of seaweed.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Forum

Popular Resources
We tapped the CDC for information on what you need to know about radiation exposure
Endocrinologist Mark Lupo, MD, answers 10 questions about thyroid disorders and how to treat them
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.