Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

recent diagnosis of hyperthyroidism

I have recently been diagnosed with hyperthyroidism and went to a doctor due to a high heart rate during excercise.  I cant get in to see an endo. for several weeks and was wondering what the implications were of my lab results and what will likely be the required treatment.  They only gave me 2 #'s... T4 of 1.3 and TSH of 0.  What does this mean for me?  Will I be on some sort of meds like Synthroid for the rest of my life?  In addition I am an avid cyclist and would like to continue to ride.  I have been given a beta blocker until I can get in to see the endo but do I need to hold off on cycling until the cause has been determined?  Or am I ok to continue cycling since the beta blocker will regulate my heart rate and not allow the 205 spikes I have been getting.  Keep in mind when I say cycling I am referring to race type paces and not any casual rides.  Normal rides for me withOUT beta blocker assistance has my heart rate between 170-200. I havent ridden since I have been diagnosed 3 days ago. Thanks for your help.
2 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
i used to suffer from increased eosinophills in the blood causing frequent cough n running nose,especially during weather change ,with the help of antibiotics n immune promoters it got better....but my weight was a problem some times it used to increase n decrease on its own .last year increase in TSH, T4,T3 was diagnosed.i've been prescribed thyroxine tablets to be taken empty stomach....my question is is there any permanent cure of hyperthroid??, and how can i control increase in weight????.i'm too short tempered n cannot control my anger is this a symptom too???? are there any side effects of thyroid medication?????
plz revert thanks!
Helpful - 0
97953 tn?1440865392
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
Ask your doc about exercise -- usually best to hold off until the thyroid normalizes -- the endocrinologist will tell you why it's hyper-- ie: Graves vs overactive nodule(s) vs transient inflammation (thyroiditis).  In the meantime, use the betablockers and tell your doc if symptoms worsen.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Forum

Popular Resources
We tapped the CDC for information on what you need to know about radiation exposure
Endocrinologist Mark Lupo, MD, answers 10 questions about thyroid disorders and how to treat them
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.