Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

hyperthyroidism, normal antibodies?

I am a 31 yr old female, not taking any birth control. My tests indicate hyperthyroidism:

TSH <0.02     NORM (0.35-5.50)
T4 16.1       NORM (4.5-10.9)
T4 FREE 4.6   NORM (0.9-1.8)
T3 TOTAL 531  NORM (60-181)

My antibody test indicates I'm in normal range:

THYROGL AB <20    NORM (0-40)
MICROSOMAL AB 13  NORM (0-34)

Do you have any idea what the underlying cause of the hyperthyroidism might be?
5 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
233759 tn?1210476796
This poster is obviously very hyperthyoid. Which can be very dangerous if it is not treated correctly. Have you ever heard of a thyroid storm (goggle it)... It is usually deadly!!!!....Please, be careful what advice you are offering. ARE YOU TRYING TO MAKE YOURSELF SOUND LIKE A DOCTOR OR WHAT?

QUOTE:
(There are alternative ways of stopping the thyroid to over produce - but conventional medical doctors usually just shut it down with RAI and then you go hypothyroid... there should be better treatment than that... I think since your numbers are ok - ok to see the endo in Sept. Ok to retest too then. Try to research what alternative ways you can put a break on your thyroid.. I think there are ways to do this but probably only a complementary physician do learn these because conventional doctros are not doing it. Also - I suppose the beta blockers are going to slow down the over production too.)

EX:I think since your numbers are ok (OK??? THEY ARE ALMOST 4 TIMES NORMAL) ok to see the endo in Sept. Ok to retest too then. (WHAT?, WHO ARE YOU TO TELL THEM IT'S OK TO SEE THEIR DOCTOR.)

YOU COULD COST THIS POSTER THEIR LIFE...

Ask A Doctor Thyroid Disorders Forum is for medical advice. The patient to patient forum is completely different.
Helpful - 0
97953 tn?1440865392
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
Could be Graves, transient (aka silent or subacute) thyroiditis (esp with the negative TPO/Tg antibodies and the higher t4) or less likely for your age a toxic nodule.

Would do an I-123 uptake/scan and a TSH-Receptor antibody to sort this out.
Helpful - 0
222507 tn?1485911446
No one knows what causes hypo or hyperthyroidism.... That is something the researchers yet to discover... Do you have hyper symptoms? Or feeling pretty normal?
Helpful - 0
222507 tn?1485911446
Hashimotos is caused by antibodies. But what causes antibodies to develop in the first place? Hyper also has antibodies - what causes those to develop? Graves disease is the name for hyperthyroidism just like Hashimotos is the name for the autoimmune thyroid disease. There are alternative ways of stopping the thyroid to over produce - but conventional medical doctors usually just shut it down with RAI and then you go hypothyroid... there should be better treatment than that... I think since your numbers are ok - ok to see the endo in Sept. Ok to retest too then. Try to research what alternative ways you can put a break on your thyroid.. I think there are ways to do this but probably only a complementary physician do learn these because conventional doctros are not doing it. Also - I suppose the beta blockers are going to slow down the over production too - but I am hypothyroid and not that familiar with hyperthyroidism. I am sorry to hear that you are having hyper symptoms. I am sure they are no fun... Take care.
Helpful - 0
I read that hyperthyroidism is mostly caused by graves, thyroiditis, or thyroid cancer. I have lots of symptoms of hyper, and they have put me on a beta blocker, but I don't see an endo until late sept.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Forum

Popular Resources
We tapped the CDC for information on what you need to know about radiation exposure
Endocrinologist Mark Lupo, MD, answers 10 questions about thyroid disorders and how to treat them
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.