Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

is radioactive treatment right for me?

I was on tapazole for about a year in a half.  Doctor took me off, three months later I am hyper again.  Initially treated for hyoer and Grave's.  Doctor rec. iodine treatment.  I hear only horror stories from people who wish they never took the medicine. My question, is it wise to take another round of tapazole and see if my body stablizes?  RAI seems so severe and either way I will have to take medicine for the rest of my life.  Why not take the medicine I know produces results and works with out becoming hypo?
5 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
97953 tn?1440865392
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
If you are having these thoughts, then another round of tapazole is reasonable in most cases -- if that fails, I-131 is a safe and effective back-up plan.  The majority of people do very well with this -- and have no reason to write about their good experience.  The minority have some problems -- and relay these problems appropriately to others, but remember -- this is the exception, not the norm.
Helpful - 1
In my opinion both RAI and surgery can present unwanted risks.

You need to read up on both and do what you feel comfortable with.

ANother round of ATD's may work and send you into a remission.  Before you stop ATD's again you need to have antibodies tests done to make sure the TSI is gone or you will not be successful in stopping the ATDS.

I opted for surgery and have been very pleased.  The advantage to surgery is you are rendered hypo immediately and it is alot easier to find a stable dose of replacement to stay on.  WIth RAI your thyroid can die off gradually all the while giving you further symptoms of hyper.  You may also need another dose of RAI if the first one does not work.
Helpful - 0
i have a grave disease discovered last 7 months ago, T4 was above normal and TSH was .005. my doctor prescribe me metromazole 6 tablets per day for 2 months. after my laboratory result it was found out that my T4 were at maximum level in normal range and TSH was .05 my medication was reduce into 4 tablets for about 3 months.unfortunately for the follow up check up may T4 shot up again but it was just a minimal above  the normal range and TSH was .05 my medication was increase  to 6 tablets per day. after 1.5 months my T4 was normal and TSH was .06 my medication was reduce to 3 tablets per day. Now Im preparing for RAI treatment  schedule for next month. is RAI  the last recourse for treatment of grave disease other than surgery? Do you have any recommendation or opinion regarding RAI? Thank you
Helpful - 0
RAI is easy, alot easier than being hyper. I had mine may 18, and do not regret it, I had no bad side effects, and feel much better now. There's alot if scarey info out there that is misinforming, best thing to do is consult with the nuclear med doc in your area, make an informed decision based on facts, not what you find on some web sites. I feel RAI was the best choice for me without all the risks of surgery.
Helpful - 0
I read in your question that you were treated for Graves'. What did that treatment consist of? Does Grave's ever go away or are you never completely free of it?
I am in exactly the same boat - having had a cycle of hyperthyroidism, then a period of no medication and normal thyroid levels, it is now back with a vengeance it seems. So facing RAI but trying to find out as much as I can about alternatives , if there are any (it seems surgery is the only one).
Is just sitting it out and hoping for another recovery an option at all??? (not recommended by my GP, but curious to hear other opinions on this).

Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Forum

Popular Resources
We tapped the CDC for information on what you need to know about radiation exposure
Endocrinologist Mark Lupo, MD, answers 10 questions about thyroid disorders and how to treat them
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.