Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Gastrointestinal or Thyroid...?

About a year ago, I had a bowel movement that had a large pool of blood (red) and diarrhea. Along with this I had some weakness.

I went to my doctor, and he said that the blood and weakness was most likely due to a hemorrhoid that burst. But, to be sure, he ordered a colonoscopy.

After my visit to the doctor, I kept feeling weaker and weaker. At one point it was so bad that I finally decided to go to the ER.

They did blood tests and everything came back ok. Then they asked me when I urinated last, and I stated that it had been a while. So, at this point it seemed that I had severe dehydration. They gave me two IV's of saline solution and sent me home.

However, I was still feeling a bit weak until I had the colonoscopy, where prior to it, I was required to evacuate my system.

So, I had the colonoscopy, and an Upper GI, and the tests came back with some minor polyps (benign) and, as the Gastroenterologist stated, some inflamation of the colon and stomach. They also determined that I have GERD.

As of late, I have been getting some the symptoms back again, however I have been drinking plenty of fluids. The symptom that bothers me the most is that I will often get a sudden feeling of weakness. I sometimes get the chills and nausea when this is going on as well. I've taken my temperature during this time and it sometimes comes up as 97.3, but never below that. And during this, at times, I feel hot, and other times cold (chills).

(continued in the next message)
19 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Well I haven't heard anything back from the doctor yet, so I guess that might be a good thing. I'll probably give him a call tomorrow to see if he got the blood tests back yet.

I had a little episode today, but not as bad as it has gotten in the past. I have been watching what I eat.
Helpful - 0
Soy can cause all the symptoms you mentioned plus it can also knock your TSH off, or even cause problems with your thyroid (from what I've been reading on the internet).

The following is from http://www.nexusmagazine.com/articles/Soy%20Allergens.html

///
Delayed allergic responses to soy are less dramatic, but are even more common. These are caused by antibodies known as immunoglobulins A, G or M (IgA, IgG or IgM) and occur anywhere from two hours to days after the food is eaten. These have been linked to sleep disturbances, bedwetting, sinus and ear infections, crankiness, joint pain, chronic fatigue, gastrointestinal woes and other mysterious symptoms
///

Those are the symptoms I have/had. I seem to get sick 12-24 hours after eating it.

I thought it was LI at first my self, but I had a Subway Club tonight with cheese on it and didn't have any problems. I checked Subways nutro info and the Club doesn't have soy protein...in fact a lot of their sandwiches don't...so if it is a soy allergy, it looks like I'll be eating there every day for lunch. :)

And, as I stated earlier, ice cream does have soy, it just doesn't actually say soy.

From what I understand, though, is that most soy-allergic individuals can safely consume refined soybean oil and soy lecithin. The hard part is finding out what's refined.

Quite honestly, I'd rather it be my thyroid because at least that can be controlled with drugs. Finding out what foods do and don't have soy, to me, would be a lot harder than dealing with taking hormone pills once or twice a day.
Helpful - 0
Hmmm....

I've been doing a bit more research, and am now stuck in the middle.

It could be a thyroid problem, it could be a soy allergy.

As I stated earlier, last year when I had an episode, I was eating ice cream. Now, ice cream doesn't specifically say it has soy protein but I've come to find out it has products that have soy protein in them like guar gum and mono- & di-glycerides.

Also thinking back, my mom had a problem with MSG. It would give her bad stomach cramps. MSG also contains soy protein.

What sucks is I went through my pantry, freezer, and refrigerator and found that about 80% of what we have has some form of soy protein in it.

I guess I'll find out for sure Monday or Tuesday.

Looks like I'll be checking out your site quite a bit, chitchatnine. :)
Helpful - 0
Hi,
Your story sounds alot like mine. I have been tired for ages. I've also had skin problems for a while. Then about 7 months ago things really started to move. I was having bowel problems (no blood, just diarreah and mucous) and my hands and feet would go ice cold. My skin dried up and the fatigue was if possible even worse then it had been. My colonscopy came back showing inflamation and ulcers tho. The endoscopy of my stomach came back normal, even tho I have been having alot of burning pain in my stomach. I was on nexium for a while and it took away the pain. The doc has tested my thyroid ever since I started having bowel problems, and they have been borderline from day 1.

My last TSH test came back out of range and I just started taking meds. I am almost positive that my bowels will go back to normal once the thyroid is under control. (At least that is my hope)

I could even relate to the ice cream thing. I was eating alot ice cream before my stomach issues started. I stayed away from milk for about 2 months, but it did nothing for me, so I introduced it back into my diet.

Hope you feel better soon.
Helpful - 0
I feel that IBS is more of something the doctor tells you you have when they don't know what you have, though.

I think I've narrowed it down to either a thyroid problem (because of the low basal temp in the morning) or an allergy to soy. I'm kind of leaning towards the thyroid at the moment.

Went for my blood tests this morning, and should know something by Tuesday at the latest.

Whatever it is, I'll be happy to find out because I've been dealing with it for a few years now (probably longer, just never realized it).
Helpful - 0
That's a thought I had as well, but I have never had the hives, itchy skin, swollen tongue, or anything like that. Most of it has been gastro-related.

But I'll ask the doctor about that as well.
Helpful - 0
The more I research it, the more I think it has to do with hypothyroidism.

I had gastritis last year when I had an episode (according to the Gastroenterologist), and it would seem that I am having it again.

I've found that gastritis (an inflammation of the stomach) is common in people with thyroid disease. The research also states that the combination of the two is "under diagnosed" by doctors, meaning they don't put the two together very often. That's probably why the doctors couldn't figure out what it is.

I've also found that palpitations or MVP is more common in people with thyroid disorders as well.

Another thing that I have found is that I am sensitive to sound (tinnitus), which is yet another thyroid symptom.

And, of course, I have read a lot of research regarding soy and thyroid disease. And like I stated, since I have stopped eating soy products, the symptoms have all but disappeared (I still have the low basal temperature in the morning, though).

The only thing is that I was eating ice cream last year when I had the episode. I am going to have to see if it had any form of soy in it. If so, it will confirm my suspicions of thyroid problems.
Helpful - 0
168348 tn?1379357075
Meant to add .. if all ok with thyroid seek a good allergist and start with some skin testing as skin may react as your GI system does (inflame) ...  the kind of symptoms you describe may be called "delayed reactions" .. in other words the inflammatory process takes time to "do its thing" and show symptoms and continues to build up over time .. it is not life threatening kind of allergy but severe intolerance or sensitivity or can be allergy but only blood (RAST) tests can confirm antibodies.

C~
Helpful - 0
168348 tn?1379357075
Just like my son..but all GI related.  The insides of the GI tract are mucous membranes ... they can swell and become irritated and cause bleeding and PAIN, too as well as reflux.

Maybe try avoiding all Soy for a few weeks and see if any difference???  

Soy, Corn, Milk are 3 biggies that can affect the GI tract.

Some people get swelling in their noses, too .. that is mucosal also.

Again, not to downplay Any of your VALID concerns this is thyroid related ... but something sneaky tells me if the bloodwork is normal you have some hidden allergies going on ??

Cheryl
Helpful - 0
168348 tn?1379357075
If thyroid is normal you *may* have a soy allergy, severe intolerance or sensitivity AND any of the above can cause reflux to flare and inflammation as you describe that they saw in your colon along with blood as you describe.

Here is a website I put together 8 yrs ago when my son was an infant and was severely intolerant to caseine (milk protein) and all he went thru with reflux until they realized it was a tiny bit in hypoallergenic formula that was causing all his symptoms of severe reflux!

The website talks about babies, but is the same for adults!

http://chitchat9-ivil.tripod.com/

Another thing to look into are sulfites and nitrates .. two very *pesky* things that can cause very bad GI symptoms.

Too much reflux and allergy experience in my home .. 3 of my 4 have gone thru are still have issues with my oldest anaphylactic to latex, plums and some nuts .. carries an Epi Pen .. she is Class IV to hazelunts (eek) and reacts .. my 14 yr old (next in line) is bee sting allergic .. both have reflux that flares here or there.

HTH,
Cheryl
Helpful - 0
I've been off soy for about two days now and have already noticed a difference.

I mentioned lactose intolerance last time I was at the doctors, and he said he doubted it was LI. I used to drink milk a lot, but then stopped for a bit and started again. I've read that you can get LI from doing this.

I'm going to check out the ice cream that I was eating and see if it has some sort of soy in it.

Although I did eat some sherbet last night as a test and have not had any major symptoms.
Helpful - 0
168348 tn?1379357075
Sherbert usually contains "caseine" .. caseine is milk protein while "lactose" is milk sugar.   I think soy-free is sherbert.

A great easy, inexpensive way to see if lactose is the problem is to buy Dairy Ease o-t-c tablets and eat them before ingesting milk to see if any difference .... also buy Lacto Free Milk.  

A temporary Lactose Intolerance can easily occur in the GI tract after a viral infection (loose stools, etc) has disrupted the normal flora in the intestines.  Oftentimes it can take weeks, yes, weeks to be able to ingest "any" milk products from temp. lactose issues .. a sign of that would be "green" .. yes, "green" stools oftentimes show lactose is not be properly digested.

Ut oh .. too much info LOL!

C~
Helpful - 0
I had ibs with diarrhea and I say had because eversince I had my tt I have not had one episode of the ibs.So the thyroid can definatly ties into gastrointestinal problems.Sometimes I could have  dairy with no ibs at all then other times I would have it and get slammed with the big D.
So Billbaggins dont give up and pursue the thyroid issue and let us know what happens
Love Venora

Helpful - 0
168348 tn?1379357075
Yes, definitely trust your "gut" instincts and do the thyroid .. persue the allergy route if all else fails.  I agree with Venora, too, IBS has similar symptoms too!

C~
Helpful - 0
168348 tn?1379357075
PS:  It takes some time to "rid" the body of milk .. about 2-3 weeks .. not sure on the timeframe for soy.  If you enjoy your ice cream and not sure about the lactose (or morso CASEINE is the culprit since you did an avoidance of lactose) there is a great product made with Rice Milk .. called RICE DREAM ICE CREAM .. I think it is soy free.

I want to emphasize, I am not a person to blame all on allergies and this and that is always allergy  .. ev. sniffle allergy, etc.  Just too much experience and learned to much being the moderator of a reflux board for 8 yrs over at iVillage and a wonderful allergist who taught me alot :)

C~
Helpful - 0
158939 tn?1274915197
Yeah, I had two different types of H Pyloric tests too - biopsy and this balloon thing I had to blow into.  Both were negative.  Pursue the thyroid tests - it's amazing what that little butterfly shaped mass can do to you!
Helpful - 0
Well, that's about the only thing I have left that I can think of that it could be.

Both my PCP and my Gastro doctor have no idea what it could be. They even tested for H.Pylori, but that came back negative as well.

I'm just surprised neither of them ever ordered a TSH test especially when I've had many of the symptoms.
Helpful - 0
158939 tn?1274915197
I wish I could give you some answers.  However I can just throw a bit of my experiences at you.  

When my TSH level is off I get many of the same symptoms you have mentioned and, yes, I've had endoscopes and colonoscopies.  Also CT scans, MRIs, ultrasounds, labs . . . you name it.  All they can say is I have IBS but when my TSH is low (below 1.0 where it should be for a ThyCa patient) then I don't have ANY of the symptoms.  

It's worth having your thyroid labs run - what could it hurt??
Helpful - 0
Additionally, sometimes my stool will be soft and light brown (almost beige), other times it will be hard and dark brown, others it will be soft but dark brown.

Another symptom that I have is a feeling of a "palpitation", although I have checked my heart rate while this is going on and have determined it's not my heart. From what I can gather from the internet is that it is called an "esophageal flutter" or something like that. It feels kind of like there's a bubble building up in my stomach, and then that bubble pops. This seems to happen when I am under a lot of stress.

At first I thought that it might be lactose intolerance because prior to and during the episode last year, I was eating ice cream every day. But I have since eliminated milk products, and it still seems to be going on. I've also stopped drinking caffeine and anything with aspartame (phenylalanine) - as I seem to be sensitive to it - and sucralose, as I thought it might be causing problems as well.

But now I'm beginning to think it's hypothyroidism and not anything to do with a gastrointestinal disorder.

First off, I am a big fan of Chinese food, and I have been reading a lot the past few days about the affects of soy on your body if your thyroid is malfunctioning. Unfortunately, I have been eating a LOT of Chinese food lately, and as I have been doing so, I have been getting these symptoms when I do (I was eating it every day for lunch).

I have stopped eating Chinese food, and other foods with soy, and have noticed that they symptoms have eased.

My body temperature, while resting, was usually around 97.6. When I woke up in the morning or when I was feeling "ill", it was - as I stated originally - around 97.3. Now that I have stopped eating Chinese food, my body temperature is staying around 98.6 and hasn't dropped.

I also found that I would start feeling "hot" after eating Chinese food or other foods with soy added.

Now, one might say that it's due to MSG, but the place that I get my Chinese food from states that they do not use MSG.

I'm going to contact my doctor tomorrow to see if I can get a TSH blood test done.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Thyroid Disorders Community

Top Thyroid Answerers
649848 tn?1534633700
FL
MI
1756321 tn?1547095325
Queensland, Australia
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
We tapped the CDC for information on what you need to know about radiation exposure
Endocrinologist Mark Lupo, MD, answers 10 questions about thyroid disorders and how to treat them
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.