Blank
Aa
A
A
Close
Blank

Vitamin B6 Toxicity Group

Vitamin B6 is a water-soluble vitamin that can result in nerve damage when too much is taken in the form of supplements. B6 is found naturally in most grains such as flax and wheat. Many vitamin supplements and diet pills also contain more than the daily requirements of vitamin B6. B6 toxicity, also known as B6 overdose, is rare and most doctors are unfamiliar with it. It's becoming more common as manufacturers are adding B6 supplements to many vitamins and fortifying cereals. Symptoms commonly include a feeling of pins and needles, like nails being driven into you, generally in your hands and feet or anywhere else in your body where you've sustained nerve damage in the past. However, instead of pain, symptoms may include numbness. Either is refered to as neuropathy. Anytime you eat foods with certain forms of vitamin B in them (B1, B3, B6), your symptoms worsen for many hours. B6 toxicity is usually reversible by avoiding foods with vitamin B in them for 6 months to 3 years.

21 - 40 (of 37) questions
NEWEST
ACTIVE
Hi I was on isoniazid for 6 months with pyridoxine 10 mg.basically becoz isoniazid depletes body of b6(pyridoxine) it was given to me to counter that effect.now since the start of my treatment to uphill now (3 months since I stopped taki...
  Posted
Does anyone connect hot flashes with Vit. B6 toxicity. I'm a 70 year old woman, just told my B6 is high. Going off all B vitamins. One of my problems is terrible hot flashes. I'm on an estrogen patch, but it is not helping. Any ideas?
  Posted
I've had B6 toxicity for almost a month now. I'd read, on this forum, that B6 absorption may be reduced by the estrogen in foods. Although I realize that the comment was about food, I wanted to investigate the estrogen angle. Especial...
  Posted
I wouldn't have thought there would be such a thing as B6 toxicity. In fact, I would think there would be more people, like myself, who have a higher than normal need for pyrodoxine. Much of what you've mentioned as symptoms of the tox...
  Posted
Hi all, Cindy from Alaska. dx w/ MS 1/08-no insurance for ages-finally got it and my ferritin is in the 800 and b-6 is 160. I am a vegetarian-lifelong. I was taking a multi-vitamin w/out iron as 4 years ago w/ ins blood test showed high ...
  Posted
I developed severe pins and needles, pain and burning in my right arm and right leg and foot about 4 weeks after topping my B6 supplement total to about 200+ mg daily, from all the various holistic practitoners giving me supplements. I h...
  Posted
I have had 10 weeks of intermittent right arm parathesia and burning in the right hand and right leg sciatica-type symptoms and burning and pins and needles in the right foot. Have had neuro exam, brain and cervical MRI, nerve conductio...
  Posted
This is new information on the web. Seems to answer some of our questions: "...you may begin to experience pain within other areas of the body. Two of the more common are the side and lower back. You may also notice some joint pain, m...
  Posted
Please, post helpful links with short descriptions.
  Posted
Healing from B6 toxicity is very slow and frustrating. Please, list things that have lessened your pain.
  Posted
Taking B6 supplements makes the pain worse, of course. Eating foods that contain B6 and other B vitamins also cause the pain to get worse. Please, list the things you avoid doing or eating.
  Posted
Jon mentioned Charcot-Marie-Tooth disease to me before. It's a neurological disease that's genetic, but it also deals with nerve pain. I was reading an article in MIT's "Technology Review" magazine tonight about finding the gene for Char...
  Posted
Hello everybody, please reply with your experiences about numbness. I am of vits now for 6 months and three weeks. Sometimes I feel stiches and pain in the numb parts of my toes, but the numbness is still there. Sometimes it look like i...
  Posted
A
A
Recent Activity
Blank
crosby12 joined this group
Welcome them!
Apr 19
Blank
Joanie1937 joined this group
Welcome them!
Oct 22