Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Benzodiazapine withdrawal

I have had a problem with sleep,anxiety and depression over the course of the last 20 years. To begin with, My dr. put me on 1mg of Xanax for anxiety and sleep problems along with atenolol-50mg for a mitral valve prolapse condition which was diagnosed by echo cardiogram at that same time.

I took these drugs for several yrs and was able to function adequately. After several personal problems, I found that I could not sleep with just the xanax, so my dr. prescribed 30 mg Flurazapam. I took these for several years--but my sleep problem and anxiety escalated along with extreme personal difficulties.

My dr then decided I was experiencing symptoms of depression and put me on doxepin-30 mg--this was also to help with the sleep.

I gradually became less and less able to function because of grogginess,continuing insomnia and depression. Within the last several yrs. I have tried numerous antidepressants, changed my anxiety medication, but can"t tolerate the side effects. I decided to wean off as many meds as possible. Lately, I've dropped Doxepin and Paxil(taking St. John's Wort instead) I'm now down to the following meds: atenolol,50mg, .25 Clonazepam, and 15 mg Flurazepam. My sleep problems are now extremely bad--even with clonazepam and flurazepam I get only 4 to 5 hrs of non restorative sleep.Also, I have developed intense headaches which
last from right after I awake until about noon or 1:00 p.m.--but sometimes stay all day.

I tried your previous forum and was told I needed an in-house treatment center to "get off the benzos". Is there any other way? My psychiatrist believes I can gradually wean off the  meds on my own. It is very hard! but, I am the single parent of an eight-year old and don't want to leave him. Also, I,m not sure my insurance would pay for it--the psychiatrist told me "it's not medically indicated."  However, if you believe I need inhouse treatment I would be willing to make arrangements for my child in order to get my life back! Can you make any recommendations of centers in my area? Please refer to my Registration Information and e-mail me asap. My medical insurance will lapse in 2 mos. I really need your help. Thank-you.
9 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
My partner has withdrawn from benzodiazapines. He was on them for 0ver 20 years.  The withdrawal process took four years.  You need someone extreamly loving and understanding to help you through.
Its gets impossible sometimes.
My partner is free from all drugs now thank god and is feeling his old self. Drug companies and doctors should be strung and quartered for handing out this poison. Most people don't even recognise its the poison causing most of their problems...when it was meant to solve them!!!!!

Poison...Thats exactly what it is. As he did not trust anyone in the medical industry he got most of his information from benzo.org.uk and he said that web site was a life saver. Most doctors don't even know the fall out of these drugs..they just think it is you..more pills more physical and mental side effects...Where did we ever get to the point that a pill could fix our problems/ worries???

Yes there were definately some extreme psychotic episodes..but because we both knew what to expect, it was understood and I supported him. Benzos took from him over 25 years of his and my life. I'm amazed we survived that ****.

Exercise is a key point. It burns unwanted energy which causes anxiety depression etc. Half an hour at liest every day.
No alcohol, no sugar, no caffeine..no stimulants of any kind( god who needs stimulants!!!..your body is already over stimulized). Good healthy food including walnuts to help you sleep, blueberries, fish  oil brain function .

Education and research is the best thing you can do!

Its tough but so worth it.
Helpful - 0
I too am withdrawing from Benzo's and Remeron simutaniously. I am using a slow reduction method and still having major withdrawls from both. My Doctor is supporting me in my choice to try going med free, after years of Benzo addiction and many tried and failed anti depressants. Insomnia is definently a problem. He suggested taking 3mg melatonin sublingual 30 min. before going to sleep. It works very well and it is natural. You can get it at your local health food store. I can put up with the rebound anxiety and ill feeling during the day if I can sleep well at night. I still have about 6 weeks of the reduction left on both drugs. I am down to .5 mg clonazapam am and pm. 22.7 mg of Remeron. I started at 3mg of clonazapam and 30 mg of Remeron. I will stay at the dose I am at on the clonazpam until I am completely off the Remeron. This is day six on the Remeron withdrawl. Using a reduction of 7.6 mg every 14 days. I used a .25mg reduction every 10 days on the clonazapam. I wish you all the best of luck in your choice to get off of this rollercoaster. I too am sick of the ride.  Stick with it as the side effects will subside, its just a matter of time.
Helpful - 0
Please do not withdraw from this drug cold turkey.  You could have seizures and die.  Please go to benzo.org.uk and you will find there a list of withdrawal symptoms, there are hundreds of them.  Please educate yourself before you go to the doctor's again.  You can get off these drugs safely and slowly.  Doctors don't know about the effects of these drugs and their ignorance should not be your suffering.
Helpful - 0
Please go to benzo.org.uk.  They have a fabulous forum there that will show you how to withdraw with help from your doctor and you will not have to leave home, although you may have to stop work for awhile.  They are very supportive and are helping me.  Lots of people there have been on them 20 years and far more and have made it off.  Please check it out.  If you go to detox they will just put you on other pills to get you off and you'll be addicted again.  It could take months to wean off them safely.
Helpful - 0
I read your about your problems and felt that they were very close to my personal experiences, to a degree. I too suffer from headaches and could not sleep and wanted very much to medicate myself to sleep. I found that stress, worrying and internalizing, focusing on my body, health and mortality, were what was causing me to not sleep and get headaches. Remember that it's okay not sleep one or two nights. You'll eventually get some rest. How do yo sleep on the weekends? Or when your not worried. Learn ways to deal with the stresses in your life, and think about what your really worried about. the answer usually comes down to your own mortality. Once you accept that you will eventually die and that life is to important to stress over, then you will be able to begin to live again, sleep and not get headches. I still get headaches, but they don't run my life. If I have a headache I acknowledge it's there and depending on how bad it is, medicate it with ibuprofen. Sometimes it goes away and sometime it don't but I still do what I'm going to do regardless. I don't know if I helped or not, but I was in a place very similar to your and I got out of it. I fought every step of the way because I wanted to live my life, not watch everyone live there life and wait for things to get better. Perception is half your battle, look at the positive and not the negative. I hope you get better. take care Fernando.
P.S. I sleep about 7 hrs. a night M-F and 10 hrs. Sat-Sun.
Helpful - 0
Definately!  What you are describing is posted on the benzo support group web sites.  Feelings of "unreality", severe "depression" "hallucinations" "seziures" "psychotic episodes"  these are all classified as major withdrawl symptoms not minor ones like "insomnia", "muscle aches" "irritability" and "anxiety".  You are really lucky you did not have a full blown seziure.  If a mistake like that ever happens again at your pharmacy I would call your doc and let them know, if that fails and you feel it coming on go to an ER and explain your situation.  Stopping benzo's cold turkey is dangerous and definately not fun!:(  Peace Mojo
Helpful - 0
Can Benzidiazpine withdrawal cause a psychotic episode? I was in remission from chronic depression (a serious illness that I've been living with for the past 16 yrs.)The drug store made a mistake on the Friday of a long weekend, didn't record my doctor's office's request for a refill on my prescription for Oxazepam, (I've been taking it for 14 yrs. and I'm up to 150 milligrams per night) and even though I had been in a remission from the depression for 7 mos. I suffered severe withdrawal symtoms and then fell into a severe suicidal depression but also I felt a detachment from myself and a chronic fear that is contsant, I'm on a tightrope every waking hour since this incident and I was hoping that someone could explain in more detail what actually happens when someone is withdrawing, cold turkey, from this medication (at the dose I was and am at). I need to know how much can be attributed to this and how much to my illness in general. Thank you for any answers you can give me.

Karen
Helpful - 0
Can Benzidiazpine withdrawal cause a psychotic episode? I was in remission from chronic depression (a serious illness that I've been living with for the past 16 yrs.)The drug store made a mistake on the Friday of a long weekend, didn't record my doctor's office's request for a refill on my prescription for Oxazepam, (I've been taking it for 14 yrs. and I'm up to 150 milligrams per night) and even though I had been in a remission from the depression for 7 mos. I suffered severe withdrawal symtoms and then fell into a severe suicidal depression but also I felt a detachment from myself and a chronic fear that is contsant, I'm on a tightrope every waking hour since this incident and I was hoping that someone could explain in more detail what actually happens when someone is withdrawing, cold turkey, from this medication (at the dose I was and am at). I need to know how much can be attributed to this and how much to my illness in general. Thank you for any answers you can give me.

Karen
Helpful - 0
I took every benzodiazepine i could get my hands of from Diazepam,Alprazolam,Lorazepam,to Oxazepam.I was very phisically addicted.I had to have one of all of these every day to keep down the shakes.I was seizure prone and finally HAD to go into the hospitol to get off of these.If you have been taking these meds for 20 years then you must detox from these on an inpatient basis.Since you have been taking these for 20 years your body needs them to function, and if you go cold turkey for more than a couple of days you could have a life threatning withdrawel seizure.I speak from expierence and it is not fun.You also need to take an anti-siezure medicine like Gabapentin ( Nuerontin ) to keep you from having seizures while withdrwing from Benzos.Good luck, it is NOT easy or fun.I felt like **** and death untill the **** had been out of my body for a couple months.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community

Top Addiction Answerers
495284 tn?1333894042
City of Dominatrix, MN
phoenix, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
If you think marijuana has no ill effects on your health, this article from Missouri Medicine may make you think again.
Julia Aharonov, DO, reveals the quickest way to beat drug withdrawal.
Tricks to help you quit for good.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.