Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

**CORRECTION** What is the difference between alcohol dependency and alcohol addiction

Due to enormous amount of stress, and trauma I drink to much. When I drink I feel temporarily euphoric, and my "problems" "go away" during the eurphoria. Put another way I drink to relieve my stress.

I believe that I an pyschologically dependent - when I feel stress I drink at night.

I do not have any cravings for alcohol at all.

What is the difference between addiction and dependency?

What are some good strategies used to stop drinking?

Thank you for you help!!
12 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
hello...i entered in AA through the back door in 1990 after three Ironmans/ 1/2 ironman and three   marathons and continuous racing for 11 years...i was 32 at the time..i was not an alcoholic but a man i dated suggested it...he was sober 4 years..i went and stayed, mostly for the fellowship for 12 years and due to a move across the county and other stressors, drank for two years, stopped for two and am now just drinking wine..i still work out and work..i am 50...and question whether i am an alcoholic...any thoughts?
Helpful - 0
I feel the same way as roof,,,,,
Helpful - 0
I quit drinking over 8 months ago. 20-30 beers a day was hard on me, but at least with beer, no matter how much I drank, I never had shakes or other severe withdrawal symptoms. My advice - if you have to drink, try to stay away from the hard stuff. If you don't, it will make withdrawal that much harder. Mostly I just had cravings when I quit. No real w/d to speak of. I was lucky I think. Still crave the he11 out of it ...
Helpful - 0
Hey toomany... hope you are doin' ok.  I meant to ask you, how old are you... just wonderin?  Take care, lil.
Helpful - 0
Scott - thanks for the good advise.  I will stay on wine, and beer only during the "processs of quiting...for now.

Tomany - No I do not obsess nor do I have a fear of running out.
As I said, I NEVER have cravings!  
BUT, when I start I cannot seem to stop.  This reason, is, I believe because experience euphoria, and when the "effect" wears off, drink more to stay europhoric for a longer period.  

I don't "think" that I am dependent, but I am not certain.

Should I stop drinking suddenly or gradually or simple cut back to one or two glass of red wine per day???

Maybe prohibition is a good idea....?

To Health

Helpful - 0
Recently, I have noticed short term memory problems (when I stop drinking, this problems disappears).  I have vivid dreams, and nightmares.  Some of them so "real", that I wonder - did I really see my wife get out of bed?  In the morning I asked her, she said no.

My sleep is not deep REM, and I often awake in the middle of the night...withdrawl

One week ago my tongue starting fisciculating (twitching) and tremoring after a night of TOO MUCH!  s this a withdrawal symptoms.

I have a young, beautiful daughter, my wife is exception, and I am in international trade.  

I NEED HELP!

Where can I go?  NOT AAA pleased...I have read mixed reviews!
Helpful - 0
do u obsess over alcohol do u fear running out will u do anything to get more ? can u go without
Helpful - 0
I used to be the same way, before I got pregnant. I didn't really consider myself an alcoholic because I didn't drink every day, not even every weekend, but when I did have a drink I couldn't stop until I was completely trashed. It is a form of alcoholism. Even though I would never dream of drinking during the day or on a weeknight, I had no control once I took that first drink. No such thing as a drink or two for me. Well, now I have control, thankfully. I have had one glass of red wine 3 times since I've been pregnant, and didn't have anymore. If I wasn't pregnant however the bottle would have been history. I guess the key for people like us is to not start in the first place. Try to find another stress reliever, like exercise. Easier said than done, huh? lol
Helpful - 0
I was thinking about you today and am hoping that you are doing well.  You are so down on yourself  and I wish you wouldnt be.  I hope you understand that you are only human and are here which means you are trying.  There is another girl here that was in almost the same position as you, she goes by pgnscared, I wish that you guys would get together and post.  She is clean now, but, she did not have a easy time.  I havent seen her post in a few days.  She wil probably be around and could offer you some good advice from someone in the same place.  Please remember that you are pregnant and that means with child, but, still human.  Peace to you, Huggs, G
Helpful - 0
I feel a little bit better today. I think all the supportive posts I received helped a lot. I think I came here looking for punishment and expected to get bashed. Well for the most part the responses I got were encouraging, several even gave me hope that the baby would be ok. I do know that the dr.s don't prescribe things that are known to cause birth defects, but I just worry about what they don't know, you know? Like what if this baby was meant to be a rocket scientist and now because of my weakness it will be a burger flipper instead?

Plus I know I take too much. Do you know if the tylenol overdose I subject myself to is harmful to the baby's liver too, or just mine?

I did find out that the ambien is ok, and I've decided to leave the wine alone. I'm praying I find the strength to stop the vicodin soon as well. I don't want the baby to have withdrawals, and I don't want my tolerance to be so high that the pain pills they give me after won't work. (I have c-sections)

I got my refill today, and this time he gave me 100 and said it has to last me 30 days. so that's only 3 a day, he was giving me 6 a day before. maybe he read my post. lol. knowing me they'll be gone in about 10 days and I'll be miserable for the next 20. maybe that's a good thing. instead of getting a new supply 3-4 days after I run out I'll have to wait almost 3 weeks. maybe I'll come to my senses and realize I don't need it by then. I hope so...

Thanks again for the support. And I would love to hear from the other pregnant woman. Is there anyway to reach people on here? I suppose not, huh?

sorry to the op, didn't mean to take over your thread...
Helpful - 0
PLEASE DO NOT FEEL GUILTY!!!

Your baby is already born.  Do you understand?  He or she is no long an egg in your womb, but a living human being in your "belly"

Look at pictures of yourself, your husband, and other babies, and think about these babies as YOURS.  LOVE THEM.  That what mother's do1

Maybe your baby will be a "rocket scientist", or flip hamburgers.  NOW, for your sake, and your baby's sake IS NOT the time to worry over about a future you cannot predict.  I suspect, as a non-doctor, that if you take take care of yourself now, your baby WILL BE  a "rocket scientist" if she or he would like to be one.  

Please make certain that you are taking a lot of vitiamin and mineral supplement...if you have the money.  If not, ask your government for help.  This can go a long way is helping secure both you, and you child's physicial, and emotional future.

Fall in love, and love your baby NOW.  He or she is already born from an egg.  He or she is alive now.  Take is easy, take care of your health - emotionally, and physically.  

I look forward to hearing from you after you child is born!!

Take it easy and take care.

VM
Victoria, B.C
CANADA
Helpful - 0
192332 tn?1189755828
Man when you figure it out let me know.I am in the same boat.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community

Top Addiction Answerers
495284 tn?1333894042
City of Dominatrix, MN
phoenix, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
If you think marijuana has no ill effects on your health, this article from Missouri Medicine may make you think again.
Julia Aharonov, DO, reveals the quickest way to beat drug withdrawal.
Tricks to help you quit for good.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.