Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Rapid Heartbeat

I am a 48-year old male, and I am beginning to experience a rapid heartrate when I am not active.  I have no symptoms during the hours that I am awake and active.  For the past six months, I have experienced this problem as much as 4 times per month.  I have experienced a rapid heartbeat that wakes me up in the middle of the night.  I exercise every day by walking 3-4 miles.  I weigh 200 pounds and I am 6 feet tall.  My cholesteral levels are around 215 -220, possible lower.  My resting heartrate is normally between 76 - 84 beats per minute.  I only experience a rapid pulse and noteable heartbeat after I have gone to bed and I awake during my sleep.  During these episodes my heartrate is elevated between 120 and 140  beats per minute and it takes anywhere between 5 to 10 minutes for my heartrate to return to normal.  This never happens during the hours that I am awake.  Could this be from stress or anxiety, or could this signify a medical condition that I should be concerned about?
2 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
A related discussion, Heart  beat raising in the Mid Night was started.
Helpful - 0
Dear Larry,

It is difficult to say what these rapid heart rates are caused from.  I would bring this to the attention of your physician and consider the use of a holter monitor to determine the exact cause of these episodes.  

At your age, this may represent an atrial arrhythmia that may often be associated with hypertension, alcohol use or caffeine use.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Heart Disease Forum

Popular Resources
Is a low-fat diet really that heart healthy after all? James D. Nicolantonio, PharmD, urges us to reconsider decades-long dietary guidelines.
Can depression and anxiety cause heart disease? Get the facts in this Missouri Medicine report.
Fish oil, folic acid, vitamin C. Find out if these supplements are heart-healthy or overhyped.
Learn what happens before, during and after a heart attack occurs.
What are the pros and cons of taking fish oil for heart health? Find out in this article from Missouri Medicine.
How to lower your heart attack risk.