Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Aortic Insuffiency

I'm 49 and have mod. to sev. aortic insufficiency.

I was talking with the nurse at the cardiologists about my aortic insufficiency she said my echo showed some calcification of the aortic root.  She said if this becomes too calcified, a replacement of the aortic valve would not be possible because there would be nothing for the sutures to adhere to.

Is this true?  She scared the heck out of me!  This was after I had my appointment with the cardiologist and he never mentioned any calcification.  What would happen if the valve can't be replaced because of this?  Would my only option be to die of heart failure?

I also heard of a patient coming though the surgery and dying two days later because sutures let go.  How common is this?

How do I keep from worrying about all of the possibilities that could go wrong when I have this surgery?  I'm going to be a nut case if I keep this up.  Help!  

3 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Dear Sandy,  

I would recommend an appointment with a cardiologist ( either Dr, Hammer or Mills and a referral after that to Dr. Lytle ( a surgeon) if appropriate.  As far as echos, as long as your sympotms are stable, yearly echos are fine.

Best of luck,
Helpful - 0
I plan to see a cardiologist at CCF in the spring.  Is Dr. Lytle a surgeon?  Should I make an appointment with him or with a cariologist for my first visit to CCF.  I would like to wait until spring as I live a distance away and don't want to make the drive in the winter.  I have my 3rd appointment with my local cardiologist in December and he said I will need my second echo shortly thereafter.

Does heart damage from this regurg. usually progress slowly over the years?  Are yearly echo's adequate?

Thank you for taking time to answer my questions.  You're all wonderful, and I'll keep you in my prayers!
Helpful - 0
Dear Sandy,  
It is important not to miss your window for surgery with A!.  It is important to perform surgery before your ventricle dilates and loses its pumping capacity.  This is when surgery may not help.  

It may be more technically demanding to do a valve with more calcification but certainly not impossible.  We do plenty of these each week.  I might suggest a second opinion to put your mind at ease.  

I would recommend a consult with Dr. Bruce lytle here at CCF if that is an option for you.  

It is most important for you to have faith in your cardiolgist and surgeon this will help alleve some of the worry.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Heart Disease Forum

Popular Resources
Is a low-fat diet really that heart healthy after all? James D. Nicolantonio, PharmD, urges us to reconsider decades-long dietary guidelines.
Can depression and anxiety cause heart disease? Get the facts in this Missouri Medicine report.
Fish oil, folic acid, vitamin C. Find out if these supplements are heart-healthy or overhyped.
Learn what happens before, during and after a heart attack occurs.
What are the pros and cons of taking fish oil for heart health? Find out in this article from Missouri Medicine.
How to lower your heart attack risk.