Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Tachycardia and Hypertension

I am a 29yr old female who usually runs 3-5 miles a day 5 times a week.  Recently I have been have trouble running 1 mile.  My heart rate goes to about 220 after only a few minutes of running.
My resting heart rate is usually 60, but any time of minimal excercise increases in significantly.  I'm concerned if I should continue running?  I have had some left sided chest discomfort for a few days, and my doctor believes it is just from my hypertension, usually 150/90 to 170/100.  She wants me to take medication for my hypertension, but doesn't seem concerned about my heart rate.  My doctor ran an EKG that was normal, but ran no other test.  I'm wondering if my hypertension is what could be causing my heart rate to increase. I have had slight hypertension for atleast 4 years, but never the high heart rate during excercise.

3 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
238671 tn?1189755832
I would not recommend it.
Helpful - 0
IS IT SAFE TO CONTINUE TO TRY RUNNING WITH MY HEART RATE GETTING SO HIGH? AFTER ONLY A FEW MINUTES OF RUNNING IT IS OVER 220.
Helpful - 0
238671 tn?1189755832
I do not really think we can blame your new high heart rate on your high blood pressure. I think you need further evaluation, probably by a cardiologist. Personally, I would do an exercise stress test on you and see just what your heart rate and blood pressure and EKG do with exercise.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Heart Disease Forum

Popular Resources
Is a low-fat diet really that heart healthy after all? James D. Nicolantonio, PharmD, urges us to reconsider decades-long dietary guidelines.
Can depression and anxiety cause heart disease? Get the facts in this Missouri Medicine report.
Fish oil, folic acid, vitamin C. Find out if these supplements are heart-healthy or overhyped.
Learn what happens before, during and after a heart attack occurs.
What are the pros and cons of taking fish oil for heart health? Find out in this article from Missouri Medicine.
How to lower your heart attack risk.