Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

rapid heart rate in the mornings

The past few days my heart rate has been very fast and weak when I wake up in the morning.  Standing up makes it even worse.  Usually this passes within a hour.  Should I be worried about this?  I have also been having attacks of dizziness for the past few months, though they do not seem to be related to my heart rate.

14 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
238668 tn?1232732330
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
Dear Karen,

Thank you for your question. There are many causes of tachycardia  (fast heart beat) and they can be divided roughly into sinus (originating from the sinus node or heart's natural pacemaker) and non-sinus tachycardias.  Nonsinus tachycardias are either  supraventricular (coming from the upper chambers of the heart) or ventricular (coming from the lower chambers of the heart).  Supraventricular tachycardias include:  paroxysmal supraventricular tachycardia, atrial flutter, atrial fibrillation and AV nodal tachycardia. Ventricular tachycardias are more serious in nature and are due to a rapid depolarization of  the ventricles.  

Sinus tachycardia is defined as a heart rate of greater than 100 beats per minute originating from the sinus node.  Sinus tachycardia is classified as either appropriate or inappropriate.  There are many causes of appropriate sinus tachycardia such as exercise, anxiety, panic attacks, dehydration, deconditioning, volume loss due to bleeding or other loss of body fluids, hyperthyroidism, electrolyte abnormalities and many other conditions.

Inappropriate sinus tachycardia can only be diagnosed when all causes of appropriate sinus tachycardia have been ruled out.  It is not clear what causes inappropriate sinus tachycardia but possible etiologies are an increase in the rate at which the sinus node depolarizes and an increased sensitivity to adrenaline.  Once the diagnosis has been made by ruling out all of the potential causes of appropriate sinus tachycardia  there are several treatment options.  If the symptoms are not overly concerning no treatment needs to be done.  There is no increase in morbidity or mortality in persons with this condition and they can expect to have a normal life-span.  For persons in whom the symptoms are unbearable medications such as beta blockers or calcium channel blockers can be used, usually with good results.  In the rare person unable to tolerate medical treatment catheter ablation (burning) of the sinus node with insertion of a pacemaker or surgical removal of the sinus node have been used in the past.  Newer techniques are being developed using catheter ablation to modify and not destroy the sinus node thus avoiding the need for a pacemaker.   This procedure is still in it's infancy and should only be undertaken at a major medical center after consultation with an electrophysiologist.

Helpful - 1
A related discussion, Rapid Heart beats and tirness was started.
Helpful - 0
I too have a rapid heart beat in the morning.  I have become alergice to Beta blockers and break out in a terrible rash.  Have been switched to several other drugs but so far none have worked.  Do you know about drugs other than Beta blockers that are effective for a rapid heart beat.
Helpful - 0
I have hyperthyroidism  or a thyroid inflamation   and my heart rate goes sometime 100-120 pulse  .Is it safe to have exercise
in a gym . Iam man 37 y.o.
Helpful - 0
If using this site by P2K this is a warning that it is not a reliable site for asking health related questions!
Helpful - 0
P2K
<a href="http://pvcs.gq.nu/">http://pvcs.gq.nu/</a>

Go above for a new website on Heart Disease and cures.

Real cool with links to this place too!

This site will talk about Tachyardia!
Helpful - 0
WOULD ST JOHNS WORT HAVE AN EFFECT ON INCREASING YOU HEART RATE??
Helpful - 0
What can be the connection between my morning fast pulse and my present pericadtisis being with Prednisone and colchicine medication?
Helpful - 0
i recently  was hospitalized with a diagnos of atrial fibrilation.  i am now on lopessor and i also take synthroid for my underactive thyroid. i have been taking thisdrug for many years and my thyroid is under control. my problem is that when i awaken, i feel like i have a quivering in my upper chest.  this does not happen all the time.  i wore a heart monitor and it showed nothing abnormal.I had been in a very nervous state after being hospitalized and suffered panic attacks but after a few weeks of my doing tai chi which i have been doing each day for three years the attacks stopped.
do you have any advice for me? thanks..
Helpful - 0
Karen,
I have experienced rapid pulse in the morning upon awakening for most of my adult life (I'm now 40 years old).  Rate would range between 115-125 or so for about an hour before returning to normal.  About 10 years ago, I decided to be placed on Beta Blocker meds (currently taking Atenolol) - I take it with evening meal and have no more trouble with this.
I was also diagnosed with MVP at the same time.
Hope this helps.
Helpful - 0
This is the same problem I have. I was diagnosed with having an increased sensitivity to adrenalin. I was put on the drug Zebeta, which is a cardio selective beta blocker. Has made all the difference in the world.
Helpful - 0
Karen-

I too have a very week but fast pulse in the morning, even before I get out of bed it ranges from 100-120, but the pulse is very light, (hardly feel it).  I have asked my doctor about this and he said it was nothing to worry about, everyones heart rate is expected to go up when they wake up.  If you have a cardiologist I would ask him, even if it is for piece of mind.
Helpful - 0
I have minimal Mitral Valve prolapse, and a Trace of Ticuspid Valve.  Although I don't believe that has anything to do with the fast heart rates.  I have been diagnosed with Inapropriate Sinus Tachycardia.  I don't think the fast heart rates in the morning are really anything to worry about according to my Cardiologist.  I feel I have a pretty good Cardiologist as well, he studied at Mayo Clinic and John Hopkins, and he never gave up on me when other Doctors did, he kept searching till he found the problem or in this case lack of problem of why i have a fast heart rate.  I do know what you mean about the fast heartrate in the morning and the pulse being very weak, if you are taking at the wrist, try taking it at the neck it is normally a little stronger there.  I also get PVC, PAC etc.  I would still ask your doctor, like I said atleast you would get a piece of mind if it is something, and if you haven't had any heart tests, echo, ekg, it might be good to get those.

Helpful - 0
have they ruled out mvp?
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Heart Disease Forum

Popular Resources
Is a low-fat diet really that heart healthy after all? James D. Nicolantonio, PharmD, urges us to reconsider decades-long dietary guidelines.
Can depression and anxiety cause heart disease? Get the facts in this Missouri Medicine report.
Fish oil, folic acid, vitamin C. Find out if these supplements are heart-healthy or overhyped.
Learn what happens before, during and after a heart attack occurs.
What are the pros and cons of taking fish oil for heart health? Find out in this article from Missouri Medicine.
How to lower your heart attack risk.