Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Tricuspid Valve

I am a 31 year old male who has had a history of heart murmurs since the age of 2.

During my last physical they performed an ECHO and the results that came back included the following:

severe tricuspid valve regurgitation
severe tricuspid value prolapse
possible ruptured chordae
mild pulmonary hypertension

My last ECHO was approximately 10 years ago, and the results included:

Right ventricular enlargement
moderate tricuspid valve regurgitation
right ventricular wall appears thinned and hypokinetic

Upon reviewing the results of the most recent tests the doctors gave me 2 different recommendations: The first was open heart surgery to replace/repair the tricuspid valve, the second, after further research on their part, was to do nothing, and continue yearly ECHO's.

My questions:

1. What further tests need to be done to determine the severity of the "severe" findings show above?

2. What symptoms should I be aware of that will help signal a change that requires further tests?

3. Considering the two different recommendations, where should I go from here?

4 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
A related discussion, tricuspid was started.
Helpful - 0
im 33 male my question is to do with chest pains and shortness of breath for the past 3 years i have had extrusiating pains in my chest arising from hiadius hernia but when the medication i take to relieve the pain i see to go into panic attacks that have sometimes lasted for hours the last major attack went for close to 2 hours and i was admitted to hospital with a heart rate of close to 2 hundred
and now i have these attacks on a regula basis almost daily but not lasting long
i have had ecg tests but it comes back normal and when i have these attacks i get short of breath tingling fingers and the following day i am as weak as a kitten

can you tell me what i can do to help these problems
the first time i had the attack was when hearing my sexual partner was hiv positive but i had tests and im clear but those 34 months waiting for the results is what first started them
Helpful - 0
panic attack?? with a heart rate of 200? sounds like psvt to me which can be triggered by stressful situations...look up psvt, tachycardia, or palpitations in this forum...
Helpful - 0
238668 tn?1232732330
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
Dear Todd,

There is not a consensus on how to treat lone tricuspid regurgitation but in general the treatment should be guided by symptoms and by the right ventricular function.  I don't think any additional tests need to be done - the echo is generally the definitive test for this condition.  Symptoms to be aware of are shortness of breath, leg swelling, etc.  As far as where to go from here this is a difficult question to answer.  If you are having symptoms that are not relieved by medication or if the most recent echo shows right ventricular dysfunction then surgery is probably indicated.  The surgery is relatively simple and the valve can usually be repaired (rather than replaced).  If you want a second opinion here I would recommend Dr. L. Rodriquez at desk F15.  Good luck.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Heart Disease Forum

Popular Resources
Is a low-fat diet really that heart healthy after all? James D. Nicolantonio, PharmD, urges us to reconsider decades-long dietary guidelines.
Can depression and anxiety cause heart disease? Get the facts in this Missouri Medicine report.
Fish oil, folic acid, vitamin C. Find out if these supplements are heart-healthy or overhyped.
Learn what happens before, during and after a heart attack occurs.
What are the pros and cons of taking fish oil for heart health? Find out in this article from Missouri Medicine.
How to lower your heart attack risk.