Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Aortic Valve

PR
I have multiple valve disease.  All of my valves leak mildly with the exception of my aortic valve, which now leaks moderately.  I am asymptomatic, taking 10 mg Altace for my valves and HBP.  My history is positive for a grade II blowing systolic murmur, diagnosed at age 24, and cardiomyopathy diagnosed about 4 years ago.  My heart is within normal limits, but barely. My question is, why not do valve surgery to repair my aortic valve now?  Why wait till it gets severe and it needs to be replaced? Could it be repaired through "keyhole" surgery?  Thanks.  
5 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
A related discussion, Replacement of arotic valve was started.
Helpful - 0
my brother 3.5 years my senior, was born with a crushed aorta valve, he had a heart attack at 3 weeks then at 14, the last one, the doctors did surgery and has a darcon tube in place of the arotic valve. he is now age 47 the doctors stated to age 35, so many years after the guess of the end of his life. he will not talk with mom or me about anything, he had said year back, no other heart operations and now, the blood thinner has helped unclog the tube but the lower part is not responding to the thinner, he has an appt with a heart surgeon. if he declins he will die but why not fix if possible with an artificial heart all together, he talks with us ever. i need my brother to be here for me and mom, also the doctors said a few beers can calm him without using and prescribed drugs to an access. what are these doctors telling him, he always had a nac to cause sorrow from us in non important ways, but the look on his face now is no joke, as if to say, it is happening to me, to be out of our world soon, it is not fair to take me.. i am killed by this. his wife supports him totally on his decision, but what is the decision?
i have a strong heart. what can we do? mom and me? thanks for you time, markssister!
Helpful - 0
me again! markssister, he has had asthma since birth too, and has no blood flow in his legs alot, it is very allarming to mom and me, he use to carry it as to deal with the pain of no circulation, now it is so bad, he works and forces to keep working, but we know he hurts, is there any advice to get him to open up and let us know? i need my brother, kills me to think him gone forever, i get into moods that i cry about it for days. help if you can by explaining his silence? markssister
Helpful - 0
my brother 3.5 years my senior, was born with a crushed aorta valve, he had a heart attack at 3 weeks then at 14, the last one, the doctors did surgery and has a darcon tube in place of the arotic valve. he is now age 47 the doctors stated to age 35, so many years after the guess of the end of his life. he will not talk with mom or me about anything, he had said year back, no other heart operations and now, the blood thinner has helped unclog the tube but the lower part is not responding to the thinner, he has an appt with a heart surgeon. if he declins he will die but why not fix if possible with an artificial heart all together, he talks with us ever. i need my brother to be here for me and mom, also the doctors said a few beers can calm him without using and prescribed drugs to an access. what are these doctors telling him, he always had a nac to cause sorrow from us in non important ways, but the look on his face now is no joke, as if to say, it is happening to me, to be out of our world soon, it is not fair to take me.. i am killed by this. his wife supports him totally on his decision, but what is the decision?
i have a strong heart. what can we do? mom and me? thanks for you time, markssister!
Helpful - 0
Dear PR,
In general it is better to wait as long as possible before proceeding with valve surgery.  Even mechanical valves have a certain lifespan so often times repeat surgeries are necessary.  As long as your heart is functioning well and you are not having symptoms close follow-up and medication is usually all that is needed.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Heart Disease Forum

Popular Resources
Is a low-fat diet really that heart healthy after all? James D. Nicolantonio, PharmD, urges us to reconsider decades-long dietary guidelines.
Can depression and anxiety cause heart disease? Get the facts in this Missouri Medicine report.
Fish oil, folic acid, vitamin C. Find out if these supplements are heart-healthy or overhyped.
Learn what happens before, during and after a heart attack occurs.
What are the pros and cons of taking fish oil for heart health? Find out in this article from Missouri Medicine.
How to lower your heart attack risk.