Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

What is a Murmur from Childs Point of View

Hello folks,

I Need an IMMEDIATE and Open response on this topic.  My friends kid who is 5 months old is said to have a 'murmur' problem.  The Pediatrician adviced to check up with Cardiologist.  He said we have to take a ECO CArdiogram to see "something".

Can anyone throw light on what could be happening here and what are the pros and cons I should know about.  I am asking because I am very concerened about the child.

Please let me know if you have any inputs or let me know where can I find more information on this.

Thanx a Million

Srikanth
***@****
2 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Dear Srikanth,
A murmur is a sound heard during the cardiac examination that sounds like a 'swoosh or rumble'.  It may indicate one of several different things.  The most common finding in children is what is called an 'innocent murmur'.  In this case the sound is due to blood flowing through the normal heart structures.  In other cases it may be due to a heart valve leakage or narrowing.  Finally a murmur is sometimes due to a 'hole' between chambers of the heart.  The best diagnositic test for a murmur after the physical exam is an echocardiogram.  Treatment will vary depending on the exact cause of the murmur.  You can find more information about murmurs on the American heart association website.
Helpful - 0
I don't think you gave enough information for a significant response.  I am sure the cardio doctor will due the proper tests to determine what the murmer is.  An echo will probably be done.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Heart Disease Forum

Popular Resources
Is a low-fat diet really that heart healthy after all? James D. Nicolantonio, PharmD, urges us to reconsider decades-long dietary guidelines.
Can depression and anxiety cause heart disease? Get the facts in this Missouri Medicine report.
Fish oil, folic acid, vitamin C. Find out if these supplements are heart-healthy or overhyped.
Learn what happens before, during and after a heart attack occurs.
What are the pros and cons of taking fish oil for heart health? Find out in this article from Missouri Medicine.
How to lower your heart attack risk.