Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

What Symptoms do heart murmurs give you?

Do heart mumrus give you shaky hands? How do they dissapear?Is it more common in older people?
2 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
jdm
Related to this another question:  I have been told that I have aortic and pulmonary valve insufficiency that is VERY slight.  It was discovered during an echo to try to diagnose other problems about 6 years ago.  The doc thought it so benign he did not even mention it to me but it was noted on the record.  About 4 years ago another echo and another doctor saw it and told me about it.  The last echo was a year ago and still very slight regurgitation.  I called and asked if maybe we should do an echo again to see if there has been any change.  Doc says whoa there this is VERY slight and could have been present your entire life.  He tells me that many people have this level of leakage and never know about it and live long lives uncomplicated by condition.  

What I want to know is what the heck would I feel or notice if the valve leakage became worse?  The doc cannot tell me if the condition is progressive only that no apparent change has occurred in several years.  Should I pursue this further or just live my life with the knowledge?  The docs seem to be taking a wait and see if anything happens attitude yet I don't know what might happen or what the probability of change is.  I am 53 ,male, non smoker, very good BP and take 25 mg attenolol daily for tachycardia.  My pulse rate runs 60 to 72 now and is regular.
Helpful - 0
Katty,

Your question is like asking can strange car noises lead to shaking of the steering wheel.  The answer to both questions is "Yes" and "No".

In general, heart murmurs would not lead to tremors, however, one particular type of heart valve disease (aortic regurgitation) could in theory lead to head bobbing or perhaps even arm bobbing.

If you have been diagnosed with a heart murmur, one way to help identify its source would be to have a good history and physical from a competent physician.  If he/she is uncertain of what is causing the murmur, then they will frequently pursue the cause with an echocardiogram.

Hope that helps.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Heart Disease Forum

Popular Resources
Is a low-fat diet really that heart healthy after all? James D. Nicolantonio, PharmD, urges us to reconsider decades-long dietary guidelines.
Can depression and anxiety cause heart disease? Get the facts in this Missouri Medicine report.
Fish oil, folic acid, vitamin C. Find out if these supplements are heart-healthy or overhyped.
Learn what happens before, during and after a heart attack occurs.
What are the pros and cons of taking fish oil for heart health? Find out in this article from Missouri Medicine.
How to lower your heart attack risk.