Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Flow murmer and pectus excavatum

I am a 32yr old female and was recently told by my GP that I have a loud cardiac murmer.  After chest XRays it was discovered I have pectus excavatum and after an echocardiogram I was told that there is nothing wrong with my heart or any valves and that is a flow murmer.  My GP suspects that the murmer is caused by the pectus excavatum.  She has said that physically there is nothing wrong with me.  My husband and I would like to have children - she has said that there is no risk involved in my having children as there is nothing wrong with my heart.  I am worried about this - should I try and see a cardiologist or at least get a second opinion?
2 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Noon,

Thanks for the question.

I have never heard of the diagnosis of pectus excavatum being made by chest x-ray -- it is usually apparent on physical examination.  While it can be associated, in severe cases, with altered breathing mechanics, it is not a condition that typically affects the heart.  In fact, all "pectus excavatum" means is that the chest wall/sternum is sunken in.  If this was not noticed by your doctor, then you have a mild case or he/she never examined you.

Murmurs can be caused by many things, some of which are totally benign and others of which are not.  Sometimes doctors cannot even agree if a murmur is present or not.  The bottom line is that an echocardiogram is one of the more definitive tests upon which doctors rely to examine the function of the heart.  The echo is certainly more reliable than the physical exam of the heart.  

With all that being said, you will have to decide whether to seek a second opinion or not.

Hope that helps.
Helpful - 0
I too have heart murmurs and We had questions about starting a family and the risks when first symptoms appeared as well.  That is so smart of you to be cautious. Do you have any other symptoms and are you on medication , Have you ever read Confronting Mitral valve prolapse syndrome ? Helpful on lifestyle and tests. I am 34 and unfortunately find pvc's can increase. thanks
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Heart Disease Forum

Popular Resources
Is a low-fat diet really that heart healthy after all? James D. Nicolantonio, PharmD, urges us to reconsider decades-long dietary guidelines.
Can depression and anxiety cause heart disease? Get the facts in this Missouri Medicine report.
Fish oil, folic acid, vitamin C. Find out if these supplements are heart-healthy or overhyped.
Learn what happens before, during and after a heart attack occurs.
What are the pros and cons of taking fish oil for heart health? Find out in this article from Missouri Medicine.
How to lower your heart attack risk.