Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

To Operate or Not?

How is the descision made in the case of aortic stenosis whether to operate and install a new valve or not? I have had two echos done in the past two months because my family doctor wanted to check out a heart murmur. The cardiologist that my family doctor refered me to says I should have heart surgey. The only "sympton" I present is shortness of breath when doing certain strenous work. True, I used to be able to do this work without too much trouble but I am 62 now and not 35. No other symptons. I've had this heart murmur for at least 20 years.
2 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
RetiredJim,

Thanks for the post.

Q:"How is the descision made in the case of aortic stenosis whether to operate and install a new valve or not?"

Mostly based on symptoms.  Persons with heart failure, syncope, shortness of breath, cheat pain, plus some others are generally considered for surgery if the aortic valve is seriously stenosed.

In persons whom we are uncertain if they have symptoms, we will sometimes do an exercise test on a treadmill to try to demonstrate symptoms.

Please note that aortic stenosis is often a progressive disease -- many persons have had a murmur for 10-30 years before surgery is needed.

Check out the ACC guidelines:
http://www.acc.org/clinical/guidelines/valvular/jac5929fla16.htm#A6a

Best of luck.

Helpful - 0
I would definitely get a second and third opinion if necessary before having surgery.

Glenn
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Heart Disease Forum

Popular Resources
Is a low-fat diet really that heart healthy after all? James D. Nicolantonio, PharmD, urges us to reconsider decades-long dietary guidelines.
Can depression and anxiety cause heart disease? Get the facts in this Missouri Medicine report.
Fish oil, folic acid, vitamin C. Find out if these supplements are heart-healthy or overhyped.
Learn what happens before, during and after a heart attack occurs.
What are the pros and cons of taking fish oil for heart health? Find out in this article from Missouri Medicine.
How to lower your heart attack risk.