Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm at 22yrs old??

Hello, I went to the doctor yesterday after having a lump in my stomach for a year and two months now. I first noticed it after I delivered a baby. The first thing the doctor said was that I had a as he put it a "VERY, VERY strong heart murmer." He then moved onto the lump which for the most part lies under my navel. He listened for a long time and mashed on it for a long time before bringing in two other doctors. They said they found a "bruit" and hear whooshing sounds and that if I were 30 years older they would diagnosis it right away. This lump does not really hurt but it is alot of pressure in my chest. The last month seems more pressure than ever and I am having trouble feeling hungry or eating very much when I do get hungry. I am 5'6" and weigh 128lbs and otherwise asymptomatic as the doctor wrote down. They all seemed to think it was an aneurysm but I seem too young. The murmer has been present since birth but I have never had any other health problems of any kind. Could it be a leaky valve? My grandfather just passed away from a ruptured "AAA" but we neither one have symptoms of the Marfans syndrome. (I've been reading up!) I have an ultrasound in a week but now I can't wait to see if this could be something other than the aneurysm and if it turns out to be an aneurysm, and I have surgery or even wait for the surgery I am so young. Will this affect my life expectancy at all or cause future problems? I have always been an athelete and I have two children. I do not smoke, drink, I always eat healthy so this is why I am so confused by this possible diagnosis!
2 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Hopefully by the time you read this you will have more information from tests and scans.   I just wanted to comment because of your age and being female,  PLEASE make sure you are evaluated for Autoimmune, connective tissue, rheumatalogic type diseases.   Just recently I was diagnosed with a "rare" disease called Takayasu's Arteritis.   It generally effects young women of child bearing age and tends to attack the aorta and other main arteries coming off the aorta.  It's overlooked quite often because doctors are looking for the more common causes and forget to look at the uncommon -- and it's still considered a RARE disease.  I've had this disease since I was 27-28 years old and it's only now been diagnosed 18 years later as I am having more cardiac and artery problems.  Don't panic,  this particular disease can be treated with great success and we don't even know yet what your particular case could be...just want to make sure you get them to check you for this type of thing too...Ask them to do an Arthritis blood panel for one thing.  

All my best,
Linda
Helpful - 0
74076 tn?1189755832
Hi Debra,

Sorry to hear about your concerns.

We need a diagnosis first.  This will be answered by the ultra sounds and probably a CT scan with contrast if there is any question or concern after the ultrasound.  These studies will determine the size of the aneurysm, if present, and then either dictate a repeat study in 3, 6, or 12 months depending on the size.  If the aneurysm is of sufficient size, surgery now is also an option.

You wont know the answer to these questions until you have the study--waiting is always the hardest part.

Could it be a leaky valve?

The heart murmur certainly could be a leaky valve.  If there is any concern or question over Marfans syndrome, an echocardiographic evaluation is reasonable.

Will this affect my life expectancy at all or cause future problems?

Any major vascular surgery could affect your life expectancy (mortality) or future problems (morbidity).  There are risks invovled with the surgery (albeit low for someone your age) and the risk of needing future surgeries to address problems with the same graft or need for new grafts.  

The answer should slowly become more clear as your doctor figures out what, if anything, is wrong.

I understand this must be incredibly stressful....fear of the things that may happen is more often worse than what actually happens.  It is hard to fight human nature--we tend to worry.

I hope this helps and good luck in the upcoming months.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Heart Disease Forum

Popular Resources
Is a low-fat diet really that heart healthy after all? James D. Nicolantonio, PharmD, urges us to reconsider decades-long dietary guidelines.
Can depression and anxiety cause heart disease? Get the facts in this Missouri Medicine report.
Fish oil, folic acid, vitamin C. Find out if these supplements are heart-healthy or overhyped.
Learn what happens before, during and after a heart attack occurs.
What are the pros and cons of taking fish oil for heart health? Find out in this article from Missouri Medicine.
How to lower your heart attack risk.