Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

2 Questions re: numular excema and also fungus infection

Dee
First is my daughter has numular excema on her hands and especially fingers...the pediatrician gave prescription for corticosteroid cream and told us it was chronic but didn't give much info....she has a history of autoimmune illness (Graves disease since age 8, lupus since age 12)...and also has many medication allergies...is this related to allergy or autoimmune illness...we have not been able to find a trigger, but her hands get very raw.  Second is for me (the mom).  I also have autoimmune illness (UCTD, Sjogrens, and Hashimoto thyroiditis).  My skin on my face has had many white circular marks, especially cheeks and going down neck...I always thought it was acne scars even though it was strange I didn't notice it when it was younger but my doc said it was a fungus...I used prescription antifungus shampoo on my face for over six months daily, and it has been two years and the condition has not improved, nor gotten worse....does that mean it wasn't a fungus infection and is there anything else it could
or could it be related to autoimmune illness as well.  Thank you.
Dee
16 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
My son occasionally gets excema on his back and chest. The dermatologist has prescribed eleuphrat cream 0.05% (betamethasone dipropionate equiv) for when he does get it. It sometimes works, sometimes doesn't. Is there natural remedies (herbs etc) that may help the situation? Thanks
Helpful - 0
I was diagnosed with numular excema about 20 years ago.  I was told that there was no cause, no cure and that it  would probably get worse.  The doc was correct on each point.  You name the cream (psorcon, temovate, ultravate, elocon, etc) and I have used it.  There is ONLY ONE remedy that will eliminate the scaling, cracking, and bleeding lesions on fingers and toes---an injection of 10 mg Kenalog. Sometimes the relief lasts for three months, six months, and sometimes even up to a year before the symptoms start up a gain. The majority of dermatologists simply refuse to administer the Kenalog, citing fear of side effects, and usually ramble on about topical ointments, wearing gloves during the day (not very practical) and not using harsh detergents.  When I show them the lesions on my toes and point out I have yet to wash dishes with my toes, handle paper with them, etc, the usual response is to not only dismiss my point, but to tell me I can go elsewhere.  
I point this out as a failing of not only these individual doctors, but also of their training.
I am at a very uncomfortable stage now, and found this site and am venting.
Thanks.
Helpful - 0
Merril, has your daughter ever been treated for parasite infestation? ask your chemist for a treatment, try not to eat dairy products, or foods with colourings and other chemical additives.
Helpful - 0
I have excema on my neck and face plus my back and inner elbow and knees. My age is 11 years. What can I do about it?
Helpful - 0
does anyone know if excema can be treated w anything homeopathic? Or could there be a vitamin that may help the situation?? I have an 11 year old daughter w/ chronic outbreaks & she is just in agony!!!! any suggestions would be appreciated
Helpful - 0
I was told I have excema on my right foot.  I get small bumps that are filled with a clear liquid.  The bumps will dry on their own.  What is left behind is hard scab-like skin.  These will spread from the original spot.  Just when I think they are gone another one pops up.  My dermatologist was very vague with advise for treating it.  I have read that excema is hereditary but I know of no one in my family that has it.  I do also have a very dry scalp.  Can you tell me exactly what it is that I have?
Helpful - 0
I suffer from excema which flares up at different times for no apparent reason. At the moment it is very bad on the backs of my knees, but a few weeks ago it was my underarms that were affected the most. I also suffer from hayfever and was wondering if dust could make my skin worse. Also can creams containing tee tree oil be of any help.

ps I was using a hydrocortisone cream which worked at first but not anymore why is this and is this bad for me?I am 20 years old
Helpful - 0
Approximately six weeks now I have been bothered by a fungus in-fection on my penis. My doctor has prescribed me Lamisil tablets
but even after more then a fortnight of taking them the problems
have not vanished (which they should have done according to my
doctor).

The symptoms are a very sensitive top of the penis and the penis
becomes red occasionaly. Sometimes I think that it is diminishing
but a day later it is completely back.

I am losing faith in Lamisil, even though the information with the tablets says that it can take several weeks before the com-
plaints disappear.

I would appreciate your advice very much.

Helpful - 0
I have had athlete feet for about 10 years, and now over the last 4 to 5 months it has turned into some sort of ringworm type rash on feet and it has now spead to my groin area I'm thinging it is jock itch because the symptons are simular to those on my feet. Please give advice
Helpful - 0
My one year old son has quite a few red dry patches on different parts of his body, especially behind his kneees - in the creases.  They seem to be itchy because he is always scratching at them.  He also has some on the back of his waist .  I am not sure if he is allergic to the diapers or not. If this is excema what should I treat him with?
Helpful - 0
I have sore's on my right leg and with itching. I have tried several creams but the redness will not leave..
Helpful - 0
Ken
I also had numula eczema where the skin on my fingers were raw. I used a cortisone cream presribed by my dermatologist but after a couple of days the itching would recur.  It was awful and lasted for a couple of years until I moved to San Diego and a friend gave me a tube of Quadriderm manufactured by Schering.  It not only stopped the rash and itching it actually cured the problem and I have not had any problems since 1987.  I gave some to a friend who had been diagnosed with some type of rash and had no relief at all for years.  It was in her scalp, hands and arms.  I have used it sporadically ever since for any type of rash, even Herpes Simplex, and it has always worked.  I have used it as needed for my children and grandchildren.  The only problem is that for some unknown reason, Schering does not produce it in the  U.S.( at least not under that name) and I have only found it available in Mexico for about $ 2.25 a tube.  Needless to say I never leave home without it.  Maybe Derm MD can find out more about it from Schering.  Good Luck.
Helpful - 0

I have a fungus on my fingernails and toenails that I have had for 22 years.  The doctor gave me Sporonox and it helped but then I ran out and he wouldn't prescribe any more.  About 4 weeks ago I got a fungus in my ear and the Doctor prescribed Lamisil for the fungus in my ear and fungus on my finger and toenails. I am still having a lot of draining coming from my ear. The following questions are what I would like to know about my condition.

1. Will the medication Lamisil take care of all three fungus infections?
2. Why does your ear somtimes pop and get itchy when you have a fungus?
3. How long does it take to get rid of a fungus in your ear after taking the Lamisil?
4. How long will the draining continue after taking the Lamisil?
5. Can I stay on the medication Lamisil after 3 months?  If not, how long do I have to wait until I can go back on it if the first treatment hasn't completely taken care of the fungus?
Helpful - 0
242489 tn?1210497213
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
It's common.  Check out http://www.dermnet.org.nz/index.html, under nummular dermatitis.

Dr. R
Helpful - 0
I have been diagnosed with Numular Dermatitis but can not find any information on it. Is it so rare or does it go under another name?
Helpful - 0
242489 tn?1210497213
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
Dee:

It sounds as though your daugher does have eczema.  If so, the condition usually comes and goes for no specific reason.  There usually aren't any consistent "triggers," even though everybody always looks for them (food, soap, detergent, stress, etc.)  You ought to just treat the problem when it's there and ignore it when it isn't.  And no, it is usally not related to autoimmune or systemic disease.

as for you, the white spots of fungus are almost always on the chest and back, not the face.  There are many possibilities, including lightening of the skin from inflammation or eczema.  Many possibilities are not really related to autoimmune disease either, although without a clear diagnosis, it's hard to be certain.  You ought to see a skin doctor for definitive diagnosis.

best.

Dr. R
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Dermatology Forum

Popular Resources
Learn to identify and prevent bites from summer’s most common pests.
Doctors argue for legislation to curb this dangerous teen trend in the latest Missouri Medicine report.
10 ways to keep your skin healthy all winter long
How to get rid of lumpy fat on your arms, hips, thighs and bottom
Diet “do’s” and “don’ts” for healthy, radiant skin.
Images of rashes caused by common skin conditions