Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Propecia and Impotence

Hi

In March of 2002 and until June of 2002 I took Propecia to help in hair loss and the crown of my head.  The good news is that it worked.  The bad news is that it made me impotent - unable to attain or maintain an erection.  So in mid June I stopped using it.  However, the sexual side effects have continued.  Have you heard of this befoe and how long should these affects last and wht are possible treatments?

Thanks
J
2 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Well, this is just an educated guess, but are you using the artificial sweetener aspartame... it causes both of your mentioned symptoms... hair loss and impotence.

Go to www.dorway.com and read Dr. Bowen's report... on impotence and aspartame (Equal, NutraSweet)  

In 1995, the FDA was forced to reveal, under the Freedom of Information Act, 92 symptoms caused by aspartame.  No. 88 is change in sexual function.  change in hair or nails is No. 66.

If you are a victim, you will quickly know if you have some other of the symptoms.  Headache, dizziness, abdominal pain, sleep problems etc.

There is a support group. Surf to www.presidiotex.com/aspartame
***@****
Helpful - 1
242489 tn?1210497213
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
Few if any of my patients on Propecia have experienced sexual side-effects.  The risk of impotence with this drug is very low.

There are many reasons for impotence, including fear that you've taken a drug that made you impotent.

You definitely should look into this, of course--perhaps with a urologist specializing in male sexual dysfunction.  However, at the end of the day you are not likely to learn that you've caused permanent problems from taking Propecia.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
Helpful - 1

You are reading content posted in the Dermatology Forum

Popular Resources
Learn to identify and prevent bites from summer’s most common pests.
Doctors argue for legislation to curb this dangerous teen trend in the latest Missouri Medicine report.
10 ways to keep your skin healthy all winter long
How to get rid of lumpy fat on your arms, hips, thighs and bottom
Diet “do’s” and “don’ts” for healthy, radiant skin.
Images of rashes caused by common skin conditions