Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Vinegar test

I noticed one small wart on the base of my penis shaft near the hair folicles. I went to  a clinic and the nurse practitioner  Said it might be a genital wart. Then the N.P. did the Vinegar test and the proposed wart and it did not turn white. She said it might not be a genital wart, well at least the infectious type. So she burned it off. However, i am now in the dark whether it was a contagious wart or not. I have gotten bumps in the past, all checked out and not to be anything. My questions are:
1. If the vinegar test DOES NOT turn the wart white, is it still a contagious wart?
2. Is it possibloe to have normal warts on your private area, and does it sound like i have just a normal wart?

In the dark.
4 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Are there any other common differential dignosis for perianal warts? I have recently noticed what appear to be perianal warts but I cant imagine how they got there (being a heterosexual male). I have hemmorhoids so I thought there may be something caused by that. Thanks!
Helpful - 0
242489 tn?1210497213
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
Usually 7-10 days.

Dr. Rockoff
Helpful - 0
I might add that i am 28 and how long does it take after the wart is "burn off"  for the wart ( and blackness)to disapper?
Helpful - 0
242489 tn?1210497213
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
It is very hard to know whether warts in the genital region are contagious, and if so from whom they came.  It is indeed possible to have viral strains common on, say, the fingers cause warts on the genitals.  I really don't know what the NP meant by saying, "it might not be a genital wart, well at least the infectious type."

Because vinegar often makes things other than warts turn white, vinegar tests are not reliable, but a negative one does argue againts what you had being a wart.

I din;t know exactly what you had, but it may very well have been a cyst or something entirely non-warty. Now that whatever it was has been burned off, there's no point in worrying about it.  If it recurs, you can have it taken care of, or at least looked at for confirmation.

Take care.

Dr. Rockoff
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Dermatology Forum

Popular Resources
Learn to identify and prevent bites from summer’s most common pests.
Doctors argue for legislation to curb this dangerous teen trend in the latest Missouri Medicine report.
10 ways to keep your skin healthy all winter long
How to get rid of lumpy fat on your arms, hips, thighs and bottom
Diet “do’s” and “don’ts” for healthy, radiant skin.
Images of rashes caused by common skin conditions