Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

scratched mole

I have had a mole on my inner forearm for as long as I can remember.  It is FLAT, REDDISH/Brown, not completely round.  It's kinda tear drop shaped.  It is very small.  2mm from Top to bottom, 1mm wide.  I have been paying a lot of attention to it lately because it's shape is not perfectly round.  I am just really paranoid about melanoma.  I had a dermatologist look at it last June and he quickly glanced and said it was not unusual.   Last week I was on vacation and I had been rubbing the mole as I looked at it.  The next day I noticed the skin over the mole and around the mole was dry and I began picking at it.  The mole never bled.  However, the next day it had a tiny scab over it.  When the scab disappeared a few days later the mole was no longer a dark/reddish brown, but a light brown.  Now I am paranoid that I scratched off the top layer of melanoma.  UGH.  Just a little advice.  It now looks more round and a little smaller than it was.  I am just paranoid that I have scratched it and now concealed a sign that could have been worrisome.  Had it been melanoma, would the color have changed to a lighter shade (since the top layer was scratched off)?
6 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
A related discussion, more on moles was started.
Helpful - 0
242489 tn?1210497213
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
That is correct--traumatizing a mole doesn't lead to cancerous change.

Dr. Rockoff
Helpful - 0
I would just like to confirm that scratching or picking at a mole will not increase its likelihood of cancer.
Helpful - 0
242489 tn?1210497213
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
Correct--not by itself.

Dr. R
Helpful - 0
So, the fact that the mole is a lighter shade than it was before it was scratched is not a sign of concern?
Helpful - 0
242489 tn?1210497213
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
I understand your paranoia, but scratching a mole does not transform it into a cancer.  It can change the appearance a little, and that's what you're describing.

Look, just leave it alone for a couple of weeks so it can go back to its previous state.  Then show a dermatologist one more time.  If the doctor is absolutley, positivly sure it's OK (which will probably be the case), then I would forget about it once and for all.

Or you can ask the doctor to just take it off so you won't have to think about it any more, if you think you're going to keep worrying anyway, despite reassurance.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Dermatology Forum

Popular Resources
Learn to identify and prevent bites from summer’s most common pests.
Doctors argue for legislation to curb this dangerous teen trend in the latest Missouri Medicine report.
10 ways to keep your skin healthy all winter long
How to get rid of lumpy fat on your arms, hips, thighs and bottom
Diet “do’s” and “don’ts” for healthy, radiant skin.
Images of rashes caused by common skin conditions