Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

what should i do

TLC
I am a32 yr old female and i have been suffering with nausea pain in my stomach, bitter taste in my mouth feeling like im going to vomit all the time . my dr diagnosed me with gastritis a mild case but the med that he has me on is aciphex but it isnt helping me.he wants to do an enoscopy on me im kind of scared to have this done. isnt there anything else that they could do for me?And what else can i do to feel more comfortable? im also takeing mylanta. why isnt anything helping me?im desperate for advise please help!!!
15 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
TLC
HA!HA!HA! I know you were rite thanks. the side effects they told me are seziures,hallucination,bad dreams ext. those were the worst that they had mentioned my spelling is bad so forgive me if i spelled a couple words wrong.Im hopeing they dont find anything wrong but then agin if they dont then im still going to wonder what si makeing me so sick.Thanks again for all your help and support!
Helpful - 0
He told me to expect some cramping, but I didn't have any.
As for the Protonix:  I had NO side effects and I have been on it for 3 months now.  What side effects did they tell you to expect?  
A Lap. Nissen is a Laparoscopic surgery to correct the GERDS  (Reflux) and to correct the Hiatal Hernia.  They make 5 small punctures in your abdomen and use the Laparoscopic instruments to do the surgery.  A lot less recovery time and a lot less pain after surgery.  That is how they did my Gall-Bladder surgery also.
I KNEW that you would have NO trouble with the scope!  (Seeing that I am the BIGGEST chicken when it comes to medical procedures!!).  GLAD to hear you decided to do it!!
All my biopsies were in my stomach and all were fine also.  
See....Told Ya So !!!
Helpful - 0
TLC
Michelle 34 Hi! I had it done you were rite it was nothing!They took two biopsies on me one in my esophagus and one in my stomach ill know my results by wendsday.My DR does seem to think my problem is from stress.Did you feel crampy for a couple days after the procedure? I do.no pain but crampy and my belly feels tender.They put me on protonix but i dont like the sounds of the side effects.What is Lap. Nissen?
Helpful - 0
They gave me a dose of Demerol, then my Doc sprayed my throat.  I don't recall any taste to it, but then again, I don't remember anything much about the rest of the procedure, besides waking up and it being over...LOL.
I really regret not getting it done earlier instead of being chicken and putting it off for months!
My Doc said to continue on Protonix and Rolaids and when I am sick of it to call him up and we will schedule the Lap. Nissen.
And, wouldn't you know it, my heartburn/reflux hasn't been bad since I had the scope!
HONESTLY!!!!!!!!! I felt absolutely NOTHING before, during or after the scope.  No pain, no gagging, NOTHING.  I slept through everything right after they gave me the IV drugs (Demerol and Versed).
GET IT OVER WITH...I guarantee you will regret NOT geting it done sooner!
Helpful - 0
TLC
Michelle 34 Thank you! but im still scared!so did they give you med for your problem? and are you better now?Does that sray that they put in your throat taste bad?Did they give it to you before or after they druged you up?So i take it the meds put you to sleep, i hope it puts me out.Ill let you know.
Helpful - 0
Yes....They numbed my throat...with a spray  called Cetacoline (Sp?).  Numbed ot totally...then that is all I remember until I woke up 15 minutes later!
I wish you luck and make sure to post what they find out!  They should give you a diagnosis when the test is over...minus any biopsy results.
Michelle :)
Helpful - 0
TLC.

I have the exact symptoms that you do and am getting an EGD done tomorrow morning.  I will let you know how it goes and what they find but I think you should really get yours done.  No matter how scared you are, finding out if there is something wrong is far more important.......it's your LIFE!

Good luck.
Helpful - 0
TLC
Hi Harry i read your comment and i have had mine for 2 months also this stuff is alfull stuff to have. did you have an upper GI done? I did and it showed that my stomach lineing is swollen they said that it is gastritis, but they are doing this test to make sure that there is no cancer or ulcers that they didnt see on the GI test.I am haveing my test at 10:00 in the morning.I hope that there is a med that can help me cause i know it would be hard to live with it.What hostpital are you haveing it done at mine is at the Arnot in NY.I hope this doesnt sound dumb but ill be thinking of ya! GOOG LUCK!!!
Helpful - 0
TLC
Hi thanks i get mine done tomorrow morning too.good luck to ya!ill let you know how i make out too.
Helpful - 0
TLC
HI! again im trying to get my nerve up to do this and talking to you has helped me alot.But im still scared!!! did they knumb your throat before they gave you any meds?They said that they would knumb my throat.Im takeing your word you seem like avery nice honest person. thanks again for all of your help. so where do you live? i live in upstate NY in a very little town.I have 2 children 8&2.IF i will let you know how i make out. and again thank you so much!
Helpful - 0
Hi....Before the test they gave me some Demerol and then some Versed for sedation.  I don't remember anything from the time the put the Versed in my IV.  ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.  Believe me, I was petrified of the test.  But, my Surgeon promised me I wouldn't even know I was having it...He was 100% right (Lucky me gets to see him daily...I work in the O.R. that he works out of...lol).  He called me today with his recommendations....A Lap. Nissen Surgery.  As for my GERDS symptoms...No nausea.  They are:  Bile in my throat at night and after eating a full meal, a feeling of fullness after eating (Hiatal Hernia), belching, heart-burn.  I was, however, nauseaus with my Gall-Stones.  The same Surgeon, Dr Bhesania, did my Lap. Chole surgery.  He is my life-saver! lol.  Not too hard to look at either!  
I wouldn't lie to anybody when I say I don't remember the test (EGD).  I had no pain after either.  We actually went out to lunch after I was discharged from the hospital...About an hour after the test.
If you have any other questions...Please feel free to ask.  Michelle :)
Helpful - 0
TLC
so you say you have gerd well they think i have gastritis. did you feel sick all the time like you were going to vomit? thats the part that is bothering me the most. how did you feel after you had your test done were you sore? sick? or what i want to have the test done its this friday but i dont have a babysitter or a ride to the hostpital so now ill have to wait 2 more weeks.im real glad that you are takeing the time to help me out it means alot to me that someone can relate to my problem.thanks again. did you feel the tube going down your throat? did they sedate you first? talk about chicken i think im the biggest chicken !
Helpful - 0
Not sure as to what else may help.  If your Doc put you on a drug that is supposed to help and isn't, then time to try the next step.  Have you tried a bland diet?  Might be an Ulcer, Gall-Stones, Reflux.  A EGD (Scope) would give you a definite answer.  It was nothing.  Believe me, I'm an absolute chicken (And I even work in a hospital O.R.!!), and I put off having the scope for a LONG time.  Now, I regret putting it off.  They sedate you so much you don't know your even having the test. And, you get the answers you NEED immediately.
Helpful - 0
TLC
thanks for your imput. but im frusterated with this problem do you have any idea what else i could take to help this? so an edoscopy isnt as bad as it sounds?
Helpful - 0
I had an Upper EGD done last week for GERDS symptoms.  I too was extremly nervous about having the test.  My surgeon, Dr Bhesania, was absolutely wonderful and compassionate.  I had put off having the test for months, but finally agreed to let him do it.  I should have had it months ago! lol.  It was nothing.  I don't even remember anything about it.  Having a physician who shows he cares and is compassionate helps a greatdeal. GOOD LUCK
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Forum

Popular Resources
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem