Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Can prevacid be used just for symptom control rather than as long-term drug

Hi -
Does anyone know whether it is ok to use prevacid (or that type of drug - (proton pump blocker) just for symptom relief of erosive gastritis, rather than as a drug that you take religiously every day.  Does not seem to be anything about it in the literature.  When I mentioned the cost is a problem, my GI doc mentioned that I could take it just when the symptoms are bad (but then he doesn't believe that I still have symptoms (nausea and burning - most, but not every day) - I must be a hypochondriac :-)). Will weight loss help erosive gastritis (note - I don't have GERD - I think - no endoscopic evidence of esophogeal involvement - I assume this means no gerd)- he also told me that weight loss should 'cure' the condition.....? (Note: I am trying to lose weight (about 15 lb so far) to prove either him or me (I hope) wrong).

Thank you anyone for your comments.
4 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
JohnW,
Thankyou very much for your comments.  Useful.  Should ask my Dr. but he is not very approachable or informative and sometimes it is hard to be assertive when in the 'patient' role - and he seems to think drugs are be all and end all. He has not discussed lifestyle issues - but am aware of this from internet search and am following guidelines.   Perhaps here in Philippines the 'Dr does to patient' rather than 'interactive' is the modus operandi? Maybe will try to change dr?  Thank you again and have a nice day!
Sally
Helpful - 0
hi Sally:

yes, if your diagnosis is erosive gastritis, then yes, I would recommend taking the Prevacid fairly routinely. This is because it is actually working two-fold: (1) to reduce your symptoms and (2) reduce the acid secretion so that your stomach can heal itself. With respect to cancer, yes, taking the Prevacid for a lengthy period can--I repeat CAN--slightly increase your risk for gastric cancers. Don't worry--this is VERY rare. I don't know of any studies linking erosive gastritis to cancer, so I can't answer that question.  In addition to the medicine, I'm sure your doctor told you to eliminate any irritants (alcohol, caffeine, and NSAIDS like Aleve, Motrin, and Advil) these will make your condition worse.  As for your prognosis, I cannot say. I can tell you generally that it is very possible for your body to repair the damage. This depends on many factors...you might want to ask your doctor.
Let me know if I can help any more,
JOHN W. (R.Ph)
Helpful - 0
Hi John,

Thank you for your comment.  It is prescribed for erosive gastritis (not reflux) - so I guess your comment that it should be taken religiously is the way to go.  Just for yr info. the endosc opy showed "multiple erosions and aphthous ulcers in the antrum". H-Pyelori -ve". Diagnosis erosive gastritis.

Been taking pantoprazole / prevacid for six months.  If stop sometimes sympoms minor for a couple of days - but then back again full force.  The proton pumps help - though some days still need to take antacids (kremil-S - hydrocalcite dicloverine simethicone - tums etc. do not seem to have effect).

How serious is this condition? Will it go away long-term.  Does this increase risk for gastric cancer later - obviously something I need to monitor?!

Thank you very much for your comments - havne't found much info on erosive gastritis - all the talk now seems to be on H-pyelori and GERD.
Helpful - 0
Hi Sally:

Yes using Prevacid for symptoms of reflux is fine-especially considering the cost of the medication. You would need to take it religiously if it were being prescribed for erosive esophagitis or peptic ulcer disease.  If it's just reflux (bad heartburn) I would advise trying antacids (maalox or tums) first. If they don't work, try taking 1 or 2 over the counter Zantac (ranitidine 75 mg); then use the Prevacid as a last resort. Also, weight loss will reduce your symptoms.
Let me know if I can help any further,
John W. (R.Ph)
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Forum

Popular Resources
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem