Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Did I have a slight Heart attack?

I have been having problems for quite some time where I am alway burping, and sometimes I taste acid.  I am taking prevacid twice a day (30mg) and it is helping, but not resolving it.  I also notice that I get lots of heart beats that are different and it seems like I can feel it skip a beat every now and then.  

On New Years,  I suddenly was not able to breath.  I could not take in any air for, what seemed like 3 or 4 seconds.  I think I almost passed out, but do not know for sure,  suddenly, I was able to breath again.  Since that time, I have been to my PCP and he seemed to not even be concerned with it, as my  blood preassure was 123 over 78,pulse at 58-60.  But,  when I take my blood preassure at home when I am feeling the different heart beats, it's sometimes 135 over 90, pulse is sometimes at 73. I felt queasy for the rest of the night and the next day.  Was even tired all day.  Is this normal for a Hiatial Hernia and Acid Reflux to cause something like this?
8 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Concerned Lady,  THANK YOU for this like.  I am going to the drug store today to get a new pescription called Nexium that I am susposed to start to take.  I will look for the medicines that you have listed above here.. mainly the chewable tablets...

I have looked at the site you mentioned and it does talk about all of the different symptoms that I am having, to include the difficulty with breathing.  

Thanks again,
Bill
Helpful - 0
Dear Bill,

I have some ideas for you!

1) I had some bouncy blood pressure readings, and a bunch of palpitations not too long ago, giving me similar worries to you.
I went to a cardiologist, had a 24 hour holter EKG, and then an ECHO EKG. All showed no heart problems, but some occasional high blood pressure readings.

I said no to taking "blood pressure" medication.

Instead, I STOPPED ADDING SALT to food at the table. (I had been overusing it).

Also, I stopped over-indulging in sugary desserts. NO MORE OVERDOING ON REFINED SUGAR. (and definitely AVOID all artificial ingredients, like MSG/mono-sodium-glutamate/"accent", which can cause PALPITATIONS. Also avoid NUTRASWEET/Equal/Aspartame.)

And, I started taking some "Kyolic" garlic capsules daily.

Guess what! The palpitations almost totally went away, and the blood pressure came down!

2) I also discovered that I was using BAD "ERGONOMICS" while driving, and while doing heavy computer work. This apparently led to me getting some early symptoms of TOS (Thoracic Outlet Syndrome), like heavy, fatigued arms, and almost pins & needles feeling of the arms.

A visit to a good Vascular surgeon confirmed this, and the doc prescribed Occupational Therapy (including "Feldenkrais"/"Awareness Through Movement") which has  been greatly helping.

"TOS" CAN cause palpitations! That's why I am mentioning it.

In case you might have this as a factor, you can check the TOS forum over at http://www.braintalk.org  and get wonderful advice. For the ergonomic and Feldenkrais info, look for a "thread" called "The Current State of my TOS Affairs" (not started by me). You may have to go back a few pages there to find it. Or, I'll go there and "bump" it back up towards the front.

3) I posted a message on the GERD ON-LINE forum about "Some GASTRIC REFLUX TIPS we use", on 12/7/01. I urge you to read these tips, run them by your doc to be sure they are OK for you, and then try them. They are HOLISTIC tips that for many, result in lessening or elimination of gastric REFLUX!

No acid blockers are used. There are references listed. These tips work for my husband and me. I didn't invent them.

Go to http://gerdonline.itgo.com/messageboard.html

Then, click on the little box that says "click to enter".

Then, "scroll" down the page, to find my message called "Some GASTRIC REFLUX TIPS we use", and check them out!

4) Why am I not using any ACID BLOCKERS? Because: The side effects of acid blockers are MALABSORPTION of vital nutrients, like VITAMIN B 12, CALCIUM, AND lack of digestion and absorption of CALCIUM, etc.

This can result in NERVE DAMAGE, with TINGLING, PAIN, and a whole world of hurt called PERIPHERAL NEUROPATHY that you really don't want to experience!

The short explanation for this is: In order for Vitamin B 12 to be absorbed in the duodenum (first part of the small intestine), a substance called "intrinsic factor" must FIRST be produced BY YOUR STOMACH, and can only be produced IN AN ACIDIC ENVIRONMENT!!!

The longer explanation about this can be found at the PN (Peripheral Neuropathy) forum over at http://www.braintalk.org

5) If you can use natural methods (holistic health) to successfully and safely fix your medical problems, you can avoid the HUGE problem of BAD (sometimes TERRIBLE) SIDE EFFECTS of MANY MEDICATIONS.

There are lists of meds that can cause PERIPHERAL NEUROPATHIES, on the PN (Peripheral Neuropathy) forum mentioned above. When you read what some of those folks are going through, it will give you important food for thought, about trying natural methods, under your doc's supervision, IF it is safe for you to do so!

I wish you the best!

Sincerely,
Concerned lady

***@****
http://cantbreathesuspectvcd.com

P.S. Stress can be a factor! But, don't ignore the other possible factors too! (Diet, drug side effects, bad ergonomics, etc.)
Helpful - 0
EJ
Hi Bill,
Just the fact that you have mentioned the depression thing leads me to believe that you may have alittle health anxiety.  Hey, were at that age when are minds start telling us that things can go wrong and I do the same.  My husband also has acid reflux and tried previcid and prilosec and neither did much for him.  Hell, he would take them and chew zantac and tums all day.  Then his doctor suggested aciphex (spelled it wrong before).  This stuff is amazing my husband says and he can eat anything once again.
Helpful - 0
Cool! 1957..  Good year, and I think we'rejust getting started in life!   I am taking Prevacid, 30Mg.. twice a day right now.  That's on the advise from the GI Nurse till my appt on Monday.  It's helping, but I still burp all the time and feel like I am tasting Acid when I do it. It's really not pleasant.  It's kind of funny, but my biggest concern is that when I am not feeling good, or the acid is acting up,I act depressed sometimes... I am more concerned with how I am acting at home.  I have a wonderful wife and she should not have to put up with me being a jerk. She puts up with me.. probably makes her an angel.  I will ask them about other meds besides Prevacid on Monday.

Bill
Helpful - 0
EJ
Well I'm a September 1957 baby.  What are you taking for your acid reflux?  There is a really good product out on the market called Acifex and this stuff in a wonder drug.  As a matter of fact, it not only stops the acid dead in its track, but will heal any damaged tissue that may be there.  Ask your doctor if your not already taking something similar.
Helpful - 0
Thanks!  I am going to ask the Dr. about Aciphex on Monday.  Think I will try to see if I can get him to change me to that, for at least a test.  

Bill
Helpful - 0
goodadvise.  Thanks for your response.  I am 44 years old.  Born in August, 1957.
Helpful - 0
EJ
As I responded above...your pulse and blood pressure levels are excellent.  What you had happen could be caused by your acid reflux, but could also be a panic attack. I doubt seriously that you had a heart attack.  How old are you by the way?
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Forum

Popular Resources
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem