Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

ANYONE ELSE EMITOPHOBIC?

I suffer from emitophobia (the fear of vomiting).
I was wondering if anyone else suffers from the same and how they deal with it or have had any treatment which works.
This phobia is annoying and I wish I could overcome it. These days I feel like I can't even watch TV anymore as every second program of any topic has someone vomiting. I even have to turn off the local radio station as there is an advert for the side effects of using speed, the sound of someone being violently ill stays with me all day, then I get that nervous feeling in my stomach and I pop yet another anti-nausea tablet. Can anyone help?
6 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I have just now discovered the idea of having Emitophobia, and I was wondering if I have it. My whole life (I am 22) I have been afraid of seeing people throw up. I have had some very bad experieces seeing it, and I can remember every one in detail.  When I see someone throw up I cry uncontrolably, hide and am effected for a few hours, maybe even days. I avoid places, like parties, where people would be doing this. I also get very mad when people throw up around me because I get so upset.  
I do kind of have a fear of doing it myself, but it is more with seeing it.
And I TOTALLY know what that person meant when they said that they can't watch tv without seeing someone throw up. I have no idea why those damn idiots think that this is entertaining to ANYONE! it makes me so mad! it also makes me scared to watch tv or go to the movies!!
thanks!
Helpful - 1
A related discussion, Emitophobia was started.
Helpful - 0
I don't know whether you'll be checking back here again, but I just found this site with a wealth of information on the subject:

http://www.fortunecity.com/greenfield/dwellers/790/

Helpful - 0
thank you for your support.
I will try your advice.  :)
Helpful - 0
Hello again. I just wanted to add a few words that hopefully might encourage you. I used to get those feelings of panic, anxiety, and fear whenever I saw or heard someone vomit or sometimes even at the mere mention of the word. But that has faded over time, I guess through the desensitizing effect of repeated exposure to instances of (other people) vomiting. They say that gradual and repeated exposure to a phobia is the way to treat it, although it's hard to imagine a good way to be exposed to people throwing up. I think letting it happen over time is the key. Counseling with a therapist is an option you might want to consider as well.

The other thing I wanted to say was that I've learned that some instances of vomiting are preventable, and I've had some success myself even in cases of flu, overeating, and reactions to medications. In certain cases such as food poisoning or alcohol overindulgence it's probably advisable to let yourself vomit, but other times I prefer not to. If I'm nauseous I find that if I can lie or sit perfectly still and breathe slowly through my nose while concentrating on maintaining a sense of calmness inside my stomach, it will usually pass without incident.

I hope that's at least a little bit helpful. Best of luck to you... and I know it can sometimes be hard to find someone sympathetic to this problem, so again, if you ever want to discuss anything about it I'd be glad to.
Helpful - 0
I don't know whether I can help alot, but I can tell you I share this phobia and have been dealing with it for many years. It's gotten better for me over time, but still lingers. Basically I've learned you can control it to a point, and beyond that you just have to realize it's a part of life that's unpleasant but not the end of the world. In general I'm uncomfortable talking about it, but I do have volumes to say on the subject, as I've been working on dealing with it since the time I was a kid. If you'd like to have a serious discussion about it, please feel free to email me.  ***@****
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Forum

Popular Resources
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem