A
A
A
Close

reflux

have you heard of getting short of breath from reflux
17 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I am writing to ask anyone if they ever have burning of the tongue and troat area.  I also have alot of burping and some tightening in the chest. My Dr. prescribed doxipan saying that this was from stress... I will not take the doxipan anymore because it caused me to feel depressed, although it did aleviate the symptomes somewhat. I think I have acid reflex but am not sure.  I also have slight hoarseness and have lost my voice occassionally.  I am worried that this will never go away as I have it as soon as I get up.  I do like coffie around 2 cups a day because this gets me going. I have now been taking tums but not alot of relief. which kind of Dr. should I see?  My family dr. does not seem to know what this is except to say this is stressed induced.
Tinn
Helpful - 0
I think that fluttering is your Sphinkter (or however you spell it) THat holds the acid in your stomach. AT least thats what it is for me.
Helpful - 0
The shortnees of breath occurs off and on for me particularly when I lay back or down. I've been taking Nexium 2x a day for three months.  Stopped last month and symptoms seem to reoccur over the last couple of weeks also experience a lot of burping and bloating along with occasionaly fluterring in the chest. Anyone experience fluttering?
Helpful - 0
Does Acid Reflux Interfere with your intestines? I can only go with laxatives. And since i'm only 17 with this problem, it is worrying me.
Helpful - 0
i am taking two a day for 4 weeks now no differece nexuim
Helpful - 0
Yes I like the Nexium.  In my opinion it works much better than Prilosec or Zantac.  It's very expensive though.  A 30 day supply is over $200 so if your doctor prescribes that I hope you have a prescription drug card.  You can also ask your doctor for some samples to see if it is right for you.  Best of luck to you.
Helpful - 0
Are you taking one Nexium a day or two?  One Nexium just didn't quit do the trick to control my acid reflux/heartburn, but two a day works amazingly well.  Take care!
Helpful - 0
Nexium has gotton me 50% better but it stopped there.I have been on it for 12 weeks . Also tried axid at night did not see diference.
Helpful - 0
I can verify what Eloridas says about not remembering a thing.  For an Endoscopy or Colonoscopy (I've had both) they give you a mild seditive and then some other stuff that makes you not remember what happened.  You will have to have someone drive you home, because unlike previous posts from Wilson, they generally don't let you just drive yourself home.  

Nexium is a great medicine for Acid Reflux/Heartburn problems.

Take care and best of luck to BOTH of you.
Helpful - 0
Thank you. no not really what i mean is my reflux causes me to feel like a fish out of water.I can't take a deep breath. Also my voice has gotten hoarse.
Helpful - 0
I've felt really uncomfortable, but I hope you are going to see a GI Doc.  They can use a scope to check if damage has been done and have some pretty good medications to help control it.  I'm being scoped next Tuesday--I'm told you don't even remember a thing after the procedure.
Helpful - 0
Thanks your right I have asthma very mild but inhalers don't work in my case
Helpful - 0
Hi,

I too suffer from reflux (GERD) and have developed asthma as a result of the reflux.  It is a common side affect.  Some reflux medicications can eliminate it (Losec) for a lot of people.  I had no luck with but have found that if I drink about 10-12 glasses of water a day that it releives alot of the tightness in my chest.  Good luck.  You could also get tested for asthma, I get alot of relief from my inhalers.

Kate
Helpful - 0
I had a scope done endo, they found bad reflux, i just had a 24 hr ph done waiting for resluts . been on nexuim for 12 weeks only 50%better
Helpful - 0
I get to have the test on Monday or Tuesday next week?  Do you both like Nexium?  I'm still on Zantac 300mg 2x day until them, but I feel like I have swallowed a gallon of battery acid.  Toy Drive, the way my GI Doc (I love her!--as a sisterly kind of way) told me to drink water so my intestents would hopefully start to work better.  Prilosec is what I am promised (if I'm good during the test).  Have either of you taken it?  Did it help?  My son is on it now and it helped him right away.
Helpful - 0
I, TOO HAVE BAD ACID REFLUX. CANNOT TOLERATE NEXIUM, ZANTAC,PRILOSEC, PEPCID. WAY TOO MANY SIDE EFFECTS. WOULD ALMOST RATHER VOMIT AND BE NAUSEAUS ALL DAY. ANYONE EVER HEARD OF ORANGE PEEL EXTRACT TO TREAT GERD??? WENT TO A HEALTH FOOD STORE TODAY AND THIS IS WHAT THEY SUGGESTED. ANY OTHER SUGGESTIONS ON HOW TO CONTROL THIS??!!
Helpful - 0
My son and I both have reflex.  When he was a baby, he would stop breathing, because it hurt so badly.  I know at times, I think I'm having a heart attack.  Is that what you mean?
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Forum

Popular Resources
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem