Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

What affect does chocolate have on the liver

my dad was in the merchant marines 45 years ago. He purchased beligium chocolate while visiting to bring home. Being a picky eater (but loving chocolate )he consumed an entire case of it over a course of three days!!!!He became very ill and they rushed him to a hospital in Africa where he does not remember being. He had high fever and was out of it. In 1985 he was diagnosed with liver cirrhosos(he is not a drinker). Last november he was diagnosed with heppatocellular carcinoma..which they say is not uncommon to people with liver cirrhosis...
My question is..did the chocolate episode have anything to do with him developing liver cirrhosos???Also do you know anything about glass pellet treatment for the Cancer..I saw it on the web and it was somewhere in pittsberg and also in michigan but thay are pioneers and I am not sure if this is the way to go.
thank you
tina neogra
3 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
There was a case here in England about a young woman who ate nothing but chocolate. She was in the newspaper  mainly because she maintained a nice slender figure despite eating nothing of nutritional value. We all envied her until she featured in the paper again for developing some kind of liver disorder. Doctors told the paper that it was as a direct result of her eating nothing but chocolate. Robbed of nutrients, the liver malfunctioned.
Helpful - 0
Is it possible that while your father was in the service he contracted hepatitis and didn't know it, or some other disease that eventually affected his liver? Cirrhosis most definitely can lead to liver cancer. I do agree with crna that it's not likely your father's cirrhosis was brought on by 1 episode of chocolate overindulgence, no matter how severe. Best of luck to you and your dad.
Helpful - 0
46174 tn?1223881264
To my knowledge there has never been a case of cirrohsis of the liver linked to chocolate!. The condition occurs because of chronic abuse of the liver with toxins (such as alcohol). However, cancer can lead to cirrohsis, are we sure the order should not be reversed, despite the orde of diagnosis? Good luck from a nurse anesthetist.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Forum

Popular Resources
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem