Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

liver function test

dear sir or madame,
I am english and live in the uk i need some help or advice please as i cannot seem to get accurate information here with out paying for it.
i recently had to have a full medical for adriving licence . which i failed on a liver function test the results were my GAMMA GT 2O3 UPPER LIMIT 49.ASPARTATE TRANSFERASE 112 UPPER LIMIT34 MCV 92 UPPER RANGE96. I WENT TO SEE MY GP AND HE SUGGESTED THAT THESE ARE DUE TO EXESSIVE ALcohol consumption .so istopped drinking for a month and had another blood test the gamma gt result was then 94 and the aspartate transfer was 94 lower but not within the required limits .what can i do or take to help get the readings down i am not drinking any alcohol at the moment and have not for the last month again i have drank a lot in years gone by but do not drink exessively now ie last couple of years.ineed to get just one of these readings down to get my licence back are these all due to alcohol.i have a lower back problem which i took alot of lbuproven for every day i have stopped taking them would that affect the readings? and can you tell me what all these readings mean.i am 38 years old and reasonably fit i go to the gym 3 times a week and swim what can i do or take to get these readings lower.i smoke and drink coffee

many thanks
guy
4 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
A related discussion, liver function was started.
Helpful - 0
Guy

I have exactly the same problem, I am from UK and failed with readings not too far from yours.  Can you let me know how you progressed with the DVLA, i.e. did you appeal against the test and if so what did they say.  Or are you having to wait for the 6 mnonths before re-applying (which is a real pain in the arse)

My readings were originally

GAMMA 226
AST 84
MCV 93

I then had a re-test once I realised I had failed and my readings were :-

GAMMA 131
AST 46
MCV 90.5

I then wrote to the DVLA and explained that I had some extenuating circumstances, friend had committed suicide 1 week before test and drinking had increased.

I am currently still awaiting a decision from them.  It should be this week.

I will let you know how I got on.

I am taking Milt Thistle also as this is supposed to help the rebuilding of the cells.

Cheers

Sean
Helpful - 0
many thanks to replying to my question on 31 01 02 any more information  on liver function test and elevated enzymes
guy
Helpful - 0
Your liver function tests can be elevated for any number of reasons.  At least your numbers are not to high that is good.  Both alcohol and drugs are metabolized by the liver so both will put additonal stress on the liver.  I am also experiencing  elevated liver tests, rest and diet seem to be the best thing for me.  I am on a fat free and low protein diet and rest whenever I feel like it. By not taxing the liver it can resolve its own problems, Good Luck!
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Forum

Popular Resources
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem