Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Husband had sphincterotomy and hemorrhoid removal on Monday, some questions!

My husband had surgery on Monday, sphincterotomy and extensive hemorrhoid, both internal and external removal.  He also had a vasectomy.  He was under general anesthesia and stayed overnight at the hospital.

He came home yesterday and is still in extreme pain.  I'd like to offer him some ray of hope in being able to tell him that others have had the same thing done and they have felt better relatively soon.  He is taking the entire week off, but is supposed to go back to work next Monday.  We have a six week old baby and I go back to work next Monday, too!  My last days of maternity leave are spent with a baby and an incapacitated husband :)

Any insight would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Cami
5 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
A related discussion, Christmas diet after hemmorhoid surgery was started.
Helpful - 0
I had hemmorhoid surgery 3 years ago.  I was out of work for 3 weeks.  I lay in bed most of the first week.  Took sitz baths.  Used witch hazel compresses on the site.  Took Surfak(stool softeners) twice daily.  One week isn't enough.  I still used a doughnut cushion to sit on for 6 weeks after.
Helpful - 0
Hi Cami - I had a hemmroidectomy and rectal seal replacement surgery on the 1st of February.  The doctor originally said that I would miss one week of work. However, when he got in to do the surgery he did way more repair surgery than he thought he would need to originally and he said I had some of the biggest hemmroids he had ever seen.  I went back to him on Friday and I'm out of work until I see him again on the 5th of March.  

I totally agree with  the other people who posted here.  Water is very important.  My advice to your husband is the same, drink lots of water and take lots of hot baths. Take them as hot as you can stand them.  Also if your doctor prescribed pain killers for him he should take them too. Don't wait until the pain is unbearable and then take them.  Get the pain before it gets him.  Also it would be a good idea to take Metamucil or Citricell as well as Colace (which is a stool softner).  I certainly feel your husband's pain. The name of the game is to be as comfortable as possible.  Worry about your water bill when it comes.  Take care and best of luck to all of you.  Congratulations on your newest edition to your family.
Helpful - 0
Cami

I had hemorrhoid surgery with additional rectal repair last January.  It is incredibly painful.  It made natural childbirth seem like an afternoon in the park.  I returned to work after 3 weeks and still had to sit on a doughnut.  I concur - water, water, water.  I spent the first two weeks in the bathtub (wishing I had a hot tub!).  Be sure he takes his pain meds - and stays ahead of the game there.  Once you wait until it's painful to take them - you're way too late.  You don't want to be playing "catch-up" with this type of pain.

Best of luck to you and your family.  

k
Helpful - 0
H2O
Hi Cami - Hope this helps.  I had external and internal hemmorhoid removal end of Nov 2001.  The pain before and after surgery was extreme, intense and constant.  I was told by my doctor that I should be feeling better in several days.  This did not happen, and I returned to him before my two week checkup, desperate for that same ray of hope you are looking for.  The doctor that did the surgery was happy with his work, however, could offer no magical relief for the pain.  He advised, as Im sure your husband's doctor did, that the rectal area is possibly the most sensitive when disturbed by either illness or surgery.  It takes time to heal, and it  hurts.  My pain continued for several more days after this visit, so I sought a second opinion.  The second doctor discovered that yes the hemmorhoid surgery did look good, however, it was still healing and he also discovered at that time that I had an anal fissure (a tear in the lining of the anus).  Unfortunately, an anal fissure takes a very long time to heal, the prescription length alone is a minimum of six weeks, and I am still yet to fully recover from any pain, but I am hopeful the end of this is near.  I preface my answer to you with this, not to go on about my own pain, but to let you know I can absolutely relate to what your husband and you are going through.  In that light, I hope that some of the following suggestions for healing will help you and your husband through this time so that you can get back to fully enjoying your brand new baby!  God bless you, I hope this helps (learned by my own trial and error).......

1. Water, water, water - Drink it, soak in it - water will heal both inside and out, and keep further complications (i.e constipation) from developing.  It will keep you whole body functioning properly so that true, speedy healing can take effect.  Soaking the area in very warm (as warm as you can stand) water offers some good relief, although this really lasts only as long as you are soaking, but at least you know you can get some kind of relief - soak all day if it makes you feel better.  Drink it all day, even if you don't want to.....

2.  Both of you need to stay as relaxed as possible, my husband and I discovered (he's been great through all of this, I am 40 and he is 48), that tension (physical or mental) causes a person's muscles to tighten.  This does not help healing and only aggravates the already excruciating pain.  Cami, no doubt your beautiful baby ( I have two) needs your attention and affection, but your husband needs your care and attention now too.  You are going through a lot of major changes at once, you must stick together and be good to each other. Because of his pain, he cannot give 100% right now, he can only do his best.  Because of your new changes, you cannot give 100% right now either, you can only do your best.  Give each other the very best you can right now.

3. Remember, this is temporary, it only seems like it will never end, but it will, time will heal all wounds.  

4. None of my doctors prescribed any pain medication, as they say these cause constipation, which must be avoided at all costs!  However, I found that taking an over the counter at night ( I took  Tylenol PM) at least allowed me some peace and relief at night.  

5. Stay positive, no matter what!  Even in the midst of pain, for the person suffering from it and the person supporting the sufferer, there's a lot to be positive about.  Remind each other of positive things.

Good luck to you and your new family!  If this helps, or you need to talk some more, you can e-mail me at ***@****.

Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Forum

Popular Resources
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem